Best Wine with Pizza

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beer? Here Here!

When I was young and underage, I always thought that an ice cold Coke was perfect with pizza. Once I was old enough, I found that beer compliments pizza like a match made in heaven. However, if you don't like any kind of beer, a nice dry red will work for me.
I don't like beer or dry red wine. Pink wine goes with everything for me! [emoji16]

Sangiovese goes best with pizza, unless you ordered Buffalo wings to go with it. Then you want a Molson's Canadian lager or a Genesee Cream Ale.

BTW, if I catch you dipping the Buffalo wings into the bleu cheese (NEVER ranch!) dressing, I will give you an undesired reason to lick your fingers. The bleu cheese dressing is for the accompanying celery sticks, NOT THE CHICKEN WINGS!

buffalo-wings.jpg

You eat a wing or two. When your mouth gets too hot, you scoop up some of the bleu cheese dressing with a stick of celery and bite it off. Lather, rinse, repeat. Trust me, I am originally from Western New York and lived there when Buffalo wings were invented. I know these things!
Yeah, we live in the United States - we break food rules all the time. Just ask the Europeans [emoji16]

Sir Loin... if you are going to drink a Molson’s product find Export Ale. It was their first beer ever made about 150 years ago, and is much more full bodied. Puts hair in your chest.....

Last edited:
Depends on the toppings. But for the typical red sauce, meat, and cheese pie, I like an Italian-style rustic red wine.

I love primitivo, which is called zinfandel in the US. My favorite is Angiuli Donato Maccone Primitivo Puglia, but it's a bit pricey and can be hard to get in the 'States. Bogle Old Vine Zinfandel has our mainstay for years and we never tire of it. There are lots of good zins from California. Ridge zinfandel blends are wonderful, but not cheap.

Another reasonably-priced favorite is Banfi Col di Sasso Toscano, a blend of sangiovese and cabernet sauvignon. Quite a few restaurants serve it.

Another good red wine for pizza is Tormaresca Neprica, a blend of Negroamaro, Primitivo, and Cabernet Sauvignon, at 12 or 13 bucks a bottle.

That's only scratching the surface: so many wines and life is short. . .

Back
Top Bottom