The Bouquet, The Perfume 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
Buon Giorno,

Firstly, I am pleased to see that there was a good turnout on the Science of Wine Tasting Part 1.

This is a brief on the sense of smell ... The Bouquet and The Perfume 2.

The sense of smell is an internal and profound internal language that needs no more interpretation than that given by our individual sensitivity.

A language that can be learnt, yes can be learnt in any part of the world and used universally. A language at a ridiculously affordable price, the price of instinct !

The sense of smell is like a song, a melody, a passion ...

Although words remain with us, so does our nose with its sense of smell which is never quite under our control, and like any great passion, it can happen at any unexpected moment. For example, have you ever been on a crowded bus, or subway ? Then, you are aware, that negative aromas can be picked up immediately by our olfactory ... as well as positive ones.

One of the best books depiciting aromas and the sense of smell, by author Patrick Süskind was THE PERFUME.

One of the most quintessentials, is to approach wine with ENJOYMENT. An excellent glass of wine, is a song in nature. The plant world, minerals, animals can all be seen in a wine glass. Yes, fauna too. This is why we always smell first, because otherwise, we lose much of the magic and evocativeness of wines. Remember, animals do eat grapes !

Smelling the bouquet is not an empty gesture aiming to impress ...

It is essential for any person with of a minimum of sensitivity ...

How about a trip to Istanbul or Marrakesh to wander around a Spice Market ?

Place your nose over a well aged, deep red wine made perhaps from Pinot Noir grapes, and your sense of smell shall reel with the scents of Cardamom, black and white pepper, clove, sometimes cumin, and nutmeg.

Maybe you prefer to walk around Piamonte, Italia ... Well, breathe in the aromas of white Alba truffles ...

Or perhaps, a damp forest with streams in Valladolid, Spain in Ribera del Duero country, and / or The Caribbean where one shall experience the scents of mango, papaya, passion fruit - maracuya, and these scents one shall find in Sauvignon Blance Grapes.

Wine can show your senses how to travel.

Look forward to hearing from you once again,

Have lovely summer,
Ciao, Margaux.

quintessential is an adjective. not a verb or noun.

now, define oblivious.

Last edited:
quintessential is an adjective. not a verb or noun.
:LOL:

In polite company, underwear and socks are referred to as 'essentials'.
In the quintuplets' home, the maid was busily packing their suitcases for summer camp. She packed the swimsuits and the quintessentials in the bottom of the suitcase.

ta da.....'tis now a noun:LOL:

I am finding all this quite interesting. I have some limited experience in detecting flavors and aromas in distilled spirits and, which will likely surprise some folks, tobacco...specifically handmade cigars. Not professionally, mind you, just as a way to enhance my own personal enjoyment. I reckon it is similar to the wine experience in that one's palate has to communicate with one's nose and brain to discern subtle differences that most folks cannot detect, usually because they are not looking for them. It often comes across as being pretentious, but it really isn't. It truly enhances the enjoyment of the wine, whiskey, cigar, or for that matter most things we like to eat, drink or otherwise indulge ourselves in. I reckon some folks will not understand my interest in such things but, shucks, most folks think I am crazy anyway.

I reckon some folks will not understand my interest in such things but, shucks, most folks think I am crazy anyway.
hoot you live in,from what little i know from the television,a pretty nice part of the world & from your posts eat good food,drink good liquor,have a down to earth manner,great sense of humour & go about your business....if that's crazy then a touch of insanity isn't such a bad thing in my book:cool:!!

Hoot: We enjoy a fine Cubano & Liquor too !

Hoot,

Thanks so much for your post ... We too are as crazy as You !!! :ROFLMAO:

Kindest and thanx for feedback, and contribution and your 100% politeness.

Kindest,
Sempre, Ciao,
Margi.

Blissful: MUCHÍSIMAS GRACIAS

You are absolutely wonderful, and thanks for the support, your politeness & kindness and contributions ... It is always great to have you on my threads.

All my best for a gorgeous summer,
Sempre, Ciao, Margaux.

You are absolutely wonderful, and thanks for the support, your politeness & kindness and contributions ... It is always great to have you on my threads.

All my best for a gorgeous summer,
Sempre, Ciao, Margaux.
i think you misunderstood blissfuls post margi...it was a joke,a play on the words QUINTuplets & ESSENTIALS meaning underwear

i think you misunderstood blissfuls post margi...it was a joke,a play on the words QUINTuplets & ESSENTIALS meaning underwear

It was made in a joking manner, no doubt. It is important to understand what Margi was trying to tell us, whether she uses a noun, verb, or adjective to get that meaning across. My meaning for quintessentials--in that little story, is just one example of making something into a noun. Please don't take offense, it was not meant to be offensive. It was meant to be light-hearted.

People, joking is fine but it might be wise to use a :LOL::ROFLMAO: to get the point across. Is it not better to cause a smile rather than a frown:mad:? It would certainly cause less hard feelings. There is no need to make remarks about the English we use. I'm not a teacher and I'm lost when it comes to an adjective,noun,verb, what have you. So please be kind to others as you would want them to be to you.
kadesma

People, joking is fine but it might be wise to use a :LOL::ROFLMAO: to get the point across. Is it not better to cause a smile rather than a frown:mad:? It would certainly cause less hard feelings. There is no need to make remarks about the English we use. I'm not a teacher and I'm lost when it comes to an adjective,noun,verb, what have you. So please be kind to others as you would want them to be to you.
kadesma
I started with a :LOL: and ended with a :LOL:. I don't think anyone here was being unwise or unkind.

Would that I had put some consideration to this subject when younger. Alas, as I grow older, I find my sense of smell not so keen as it once was. I believe this would account for the older-lady-in-the-elevator whose perfume is much stronger than she perhaps thinks. No, really, not mine. I have given up wearing any but the lightest scents just on this account.

Maybe it's not too late to spend some time sniffing wine while putting more thought to the aroma as well as the taste. I'm off to pop a cork to let the wine breathe while I do the same.

I am finding all this quite interesting. I have some limited experience in detecting flavors and aromas in distilled spirits and, which will likely surprise some folks, tobacco...specifically handmade cigars. Not professionally, mind you, just as a way to enhance my own personal enjoyment. I reckon it is similar to the wine experience in that one's palate has to communicate with one's nose and brain to discern subtle differences that most folks cannot detect, usually because they are not looking for them. It often comes across as being pretentious, but it really isn't. It truly enhances the enjoyment of the wine, whiskey, cigar, or for that matter most things we like to eat, drink or otherwise indulge ourselves in. I reckon some folks will not understand my interest in such things but, shucks, most folks think I am crazy anyway.
Hoot, this is a good way of explaining it.

There's an old saying that "we eat first with our eyes." I'd argue that for things like wine, whiskey, coffee, or cheeses, we eat first with our noses. Smell is everything when it comes to these foods.

Last edited:
Hoot, this is a good way of explaining it.

There's an old saying that "we eat first with our eyes." I'd argue that for things like wine, whiskey, coffee, or cheeses, we eat first with our noses. Smell is everything when it comes to these foods.
Steve, I agree, to me smell makes a big difference in if I'm willing to taste something more so than just looking at it.
kades

kadesma

Thank you Kadesma. English is sometimes not peoples first language either. Even if it is, it's not kind to pull people up over the use of grammar or spelling on forums.

Back to the subject however, I don't think my extensive knowledge of Peach Concorde will quite fit in here. ;):)

Gravy Queen, Kadesma, Blissful, Steve & Hoot

Thanks for all your feedback and contributions ...

Just off the cuff, I hold a Cambridge TEFL, Teach English Foreign Language Certificate and provide NATO Military Officers and UN Emergency Rescue Military Officers going on Missions with English courses from 7.30am to 9.30am, before the magazine office opens.

Furthermore, I was born in Manhattan and spent all summers until age 17 in NYC downtown and lived in Manhattan for almost 9 years even though I was raised in Vancouver ...

The criticizers of Quintessentials: take a TEFL Course at Cambridge :ROFLMAO:

Buonasera,
Ciao, and have a lovely Tuesday.
Margaux.

About English, I must say that I'm using this forum to improve my skills, both reading and also trying to write.
About wine, THANK YOU for the time you spend to write here, for the benefit of those who, like me, are very far from a proper knowledge of the matter.

Luca: Thank You

Luca, Buonasera, Good Afternoon,

Truly appreciate your acknowledgement and thanks.

I am very pleased that this post has given you a keener insight to the world of wine and its many nuances.

Kind regards,
Sempre. ciao.
Margaux.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom