The Most Horrible Wine You've Ever Had?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We took my wife's parents out in Auckland, NZ, to a really posh French-style joint. I ordered a spiffy wine and when the somm poured a taste, it was vile: corked to the max. I can still taste it.

I asked for the bottle to be returned and another opened, and the guy started ranting that I knew nothing about wine, etc. Which made me mad. So I grabbed the bottle and poured a full glass and commanded him to drink it, or else. (I'm rather large and dangerous-looking.)

He managed a partial mouthful and spat it on the carpet, then retreated, cursing a blue streak under his breath.

The food was likewise, expensive, tarted up, but not very good. The "fresh" venison had been vacuum-packed and had bubbles in it. Rich people are suckers.

Last edited:
That reminds me of something that happened to a friend. He had opened a wine bar and resto. A food and wine critic came in with a small party. He ordered a very expensive wine, something around $400, 40 years ago. The wine critic tasted the wine and said it was off. My friend nearly pooped himself. But, he mustered the courage to ask the wine critic about it. They both tasted it and my friend said that it tasted quite good. The wine critic agreed, but explained all the things that were not up to spec for this particular wine and vintage. They opened another bottle and compared. My friend was shocked that he could taste the differences that had been explained to him. Then, the wine critic told him, "Bring it back to the liquor store and tell them that I said it was corked." So, my friend did, and they gave him another bottle, no questions asked.

Interesting. Cork taint is a real problem, which has led quite a few wineries to adopt plastic corks or screwcaps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cork_taint

I don't remember whether or not "corked" is the actual expression that the wine critic used. As I mentioned, this was about 40 years ago. But, in any case, after telling the people at the liquor store that this particular wine critic had said the wine was off, they simply exchanged the bottle that was off for another bottle of the wine.

Another fault in red wines is a brownish tint owing to oxidation (air leaking around the cork). It happens most often when wine is stored upright and the cork dries out. Given a dark green glass bottle, it can be hard to spot, but it's very evident in a clear wine glass. Some long-aged wines can develop a slight browning and still taste okay. But it's something to look for.

Last edited:
Another fault in red wines is a brownish tint owing to oxidation (air leaking around the cork). It happens most often when wine is stored upright and the cork dries out. Given a dark green glass bottle, it can be hard to spot, but it's very evident in a clear wine glass. Some long-aged wines can develop a slight browning and still taste okay. But it's something to look for.

True, which is probably why I am not a huge fan of Reds, but as you can see on this bottle, it has the screw cap top, no cork-and just plain awful wine!

The worst wine I have ever tasted was an Australian Shiraz. Having been the first Syrah/Shiraz I have ever encountered, and the brochure from place where I ordered it extolled it's virtues, I just assumed I didn't like Shiraz. Well a few years later I was at UNCORKED!, a wine tasting festival in San Francisco, where I sampled an excellent Syrah from a California winery and realized it wasn't the Syrah/Shiraz that I didn't like, it was the Australian Shiraz. I have refused to buy any Australian wines since then.

I have only had a Syrah once and doubt I will ever try 1 again. It was horrible.

I'm guessing that I won't be drinking any full.bodied red wine again, as I had gotten a nice bottle of Pinot Noir a couple of months ago to have a glass and some dark chocolate as a late night treat when I'm up watching TV on my own. Did that for several nights in a row and then had a gout attack in my foot. Couldn't even finish the bottle so I've been using it to cook with.

Before the pandemic, we went to a gastropub place for brunch and they had a flight of beers we shared, 1 of which was Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. I loved it and I'm not normally a beer drinker. Took a while to find a local place that sold it.

I have refused to buy any Australian wines since then.

There's a lot of Aussie plonk on the market: industrial wine hauled in tanker trucks and fermented in huge stainless steel tanks. But there are quite a few good wines from Oz.

Penfolds, d'Arenberg, St. Hallet, Jamsheed, Wolf's Lair, and other Australian wineries are making world-class wines.

Last edited:
Everyone who knows me knows what wine is the worst for me; all of them.:ermm: I truly dislike the flavor of alcohol. And i can taste it as the predominant flavor in any beverage that contains it. Everyone has different taste buds. Mine have an aversion to the alcohol flavor.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Many years ago, in my youth, a group of us drove from the Boston area to Watkins Glen for the US Grand Prix. Saturday was a day of wandering around the infield drinking and watching the cars do practice laps etc. I remember carrying around a gallon jug of something called Paisano and drinking from it all day and night. I never felt sicker the day of the race. Sitting at the fence mere feet away from the track as car after car raced by at full throttle or downshifting for the corner I was miserable. After some discussion, it was agreed that Paisano was Italian for POISON.

Sunday after the race we drove back to the Boston area and then went to work.

Holy Crap! It's still out there! https://www.instacart.com/landing?p...MIyb71_rWr9wIVNeTjBx1yEghjEAYYAyABEgLmW_D_BwE

Last edited:
When I made my first wine( out of kiwis(mentioned earlier in the thread)). It was ok for cooking, but all in all, it tasted like crap. Fast forward a few months and we go to a food and wine festival (I think at Foxwoods in CT). My wife says to me, "Im going to look around, and find the most popular, expensive, well known wine and taste it, just so I know what to compare your wine to,and see how it measures up." Keep in mind, my wife doesnt drink at all, and especially hates wine. Anyway, finds a popular known name ( I dont remember what it was) and she asked if she can sample their best , most expensive wine. She takes one sip, makes that face a kid would make after eating something they hate , turns tome and says( out loud so not only I, but the guy who represented the wine company could hear) "Your wine must be really good , cause this expensive stuff tastes just as crappy as yours". As embarrassed as I was, Laughed like hell and we still talk about it 20 years later. I have since graduated to apple and cranberry wine (equally as crappy). This year, I want to purchase a lot of grapes, and do the grape stomping thing.

Wow, the names of members in this list is like a walk down memory lane. Sure do miss a lot of these people.

...I remember carrying around a gallon jug of something called Paisano and drinking from it all day and night. I never felt sicker the day of the race. Sitting at the fence mere feet away from the track as car after car raced by at full throttle or downshifting for the corner I was miserable. After some discussion, it was agreed that Paisano was Italian for POISON...
Ah, Paisano. Memories. Not necessarily fondly of the wine. My FIL always had a 1.5 liter jug on his kitchen counter when we would visit at the holidays. After he died, we would get a jug for the counter each Christmas, until we couldn't find the little 1.5 liter one. That's when the tradition stopped. Couldn't fathom the idea of drinking our way through a full gallon+. Tradition, schmadition. :LOL:

Last edited:
Pretty much any of them. We keep trying and failing to find one we like.

Though, I do order really nice, like 80-100 plus bucks a bottle wines for friends and family.

Seems the more you spend, the better it is. Dunno. Ain't never gonna buy that for myself.

I'm a Boone's Farm kinda wine drinker. Give me some Strawberry Hill, and I'm good.

...Seems the more you spend, the better it is. Dunno. Ain't never gonna buy that for myself...

Not necessarily. About a decade ago we stopped at a nice winery with very good reviews, sampled a few, and bought what we thought was a rather nice wine. Just for fun, I bought a bottle of the same kind of wine at Aldi for one third of the price. I wrapped the bottles in towels and poured a bit of each wine for my beloved family. Each one of us thought that the cheaper one was noticeably better. Either price does not determine value, or we're just happy with cheap a$$ wine. [emoji38]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom