What Is Your Wine I.Q.?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@ Harry,

Enjoy your Manzanilla and I shall have a chilled Dry Fino with grilled langoustines ( huge prawns ) in an hour and a half at the family Tasca in front of my flat !

The wineries in Jeréz offer LA CATA = WINE TASTING BASIC COURSE in ENGLISH ... Check it out: Domecq, Gonzalez y Byass, Lustau amongst numerous others and the LA RIOJA GOVERNMENT REGULATORY COUNCIL ... ( the verb Catar = to wine taste )

Another good idea if you like wines, is to check out Wine Spectator Magazine on line from NYC.

Have nice evening.
Margi.

Bacardi 1,

Thanks for feedback ... I love Prosecco too, however, the average Spanish Tasca only has Spanish Wines. I like Barcelona Cava - sparkling wine too, however, I prefer Prosecco ...

So, I always have in the Loft, a few on hand chilled and in Wine Cabinet Storage.

Have nice wkend.
Margi.

@ Harry,

Enjoy your Manzanilla and I shall have a chilled Dry Fino with grilled langoustines ( huge prawns ) in an hour and a half at the family Tasca in front of my flat !

The wineries in Jeréz offer LA CATA = WINE TASTING BASIC COURSE in ENGLISH ... Check it out: Domecq, Gonzalez y Byass, Lustau amongst numerous others and the LA RIOJA GOVERNMENT REGULATORY COUNCIL ... ( the verb Catar = to wine taste )

Another good idea if you like wines, is to check out Wine Spectator Magazine on line from NYC.

Have nice evening.
Margi.
thank you margi,i will.i have some scottish langoustines in the freezer.best in the world and,typical of this island,we have some of the best fish & seafood literally on our door(shore)step & most of it is exported because as as a seafaring island race we don't eat fish(well not much anyway)....beggars belief:mad:!
right,rant over,i'm off to the freezer............:yum:
enjoy!
harry

Harry: UNlike The Iberians & I

:chef: Harry,

Langoustines ( prawns ) and most white fish varieties, mussels and squid are probably cheaper than red meat ... We do not eat very much red meat as we love shellfish and pasta ... We pay not even 7 Euros for a Kilo of fresh cod fish, 5 Euros a kilo for fresh squid, 8 Euros a kilo for Norwegian Salmon ... and we had paid, 6 Euros a kilo fro Skorpio red red dragon fish in season. The Spanish fish Mkt is enormous and moves tons a day into Madrid Capital and Galicia the seafront to most of it and the Basque country and other inland major hubs where there are Michelin and important bars, tascas, and restaurants. Though I love Italia more, Spain does have cheaper fish and cheaper beef !

I had fresh wild Scottish Salmon as well as the smoked Scottish salmond while we had travelled through Ulla Pol in the Highlands, and it is lovely country, if my memory serves me correctly ... We have dear friends from Vancouver City, Canada who have some Scottish family that own a Hotel in SKYE ISLAND ... stunning place ... we also liked the historical Edinburgh.

Enjoy. Have nice evening.
Margi.

Last edited:
:chef: Harry,

Langoustines ( prawns ) and most white fish varieties, mussels and squid are probably cheaper than red meat ... We do not eat very much red meat as we love shellfish and pasta ... We pay not even 7 Euros for a Kilo of fresh cod fish, 5 Euros a kilo for fresh squid, 8 Euros a kilo for Norwegian Salmon ... and we had paid, 6 Euros a kilo fro Skorpio red red dragon fish in season. The Spanish fish Mkt is enormous and moves tons a day into Madrid Capital and Galicia the seafront to most of it and the Basque country and other inland major hubs where there are Michelin and important bars, tascas, and restaurants. Though I love Italia more, Spain does have cheaper fish and cheaper beef !

I had fresh wild Scottish Salmon as well as the smoked Scottish salmond while we had travelled through Ulla Pol in the Highlands, and it is lovely country, if my memory serves me correctly ... We have dear friends from Vancouver City, Canada who have some Scottish family that own a Hotel in SKYE ISLAND ... stunning place ... we also liked the historical Edinburgh.

Enjoy. Have nice evening.
Margi.
i'll drink to that! got a pan of garfolo bronze die linguine on the boil,langoustine tails defrosting,a big pinch of la mancha saffron(fav spice) colouring up a glass of my beloved mucadet & some crushed garlic & chilli.once the pasta is cooked i'll fry off the langoustines briefly in some good extra virgin olive oil with the garlic/chilli flakes,add the wine/saffron mix,big twist of black pepper,turn in the pasta......oh i will enjoy:yum:!!
harry

Bacardi 1,

Thanks for feedback ... I love Prosecco too, however, the average Spanish Tasca only has Spanish Wines. I like Barcelona Cava - sparkling wine too, however, I prefer Prosecco ...

So, I always have in the Loft, a few on hand chilled and in Wine Cabinet Storage.

Have nice wkend.
Margi.

We used to LOVE & buy by the case a Spanish Cava produced by "Paul Cheneau". The brut was absolutely lovely. Dry, but not so dry that it made your ears touch, if you know what I mean. It was inexpensive & was our go-to sparkling wine for everyday use as well as celebrations. Great stuff.

Unfortunately, no distributors handle it locally here anymore or can even order it for some bizarre reason, so if I really want some, I have to do so online.

@ Bacardi,

Pleased to hear that you can still purchase it online.

I do not wish to criticize the Alcohol laws of some USA states ( truly 1800s); However, this could well be a reason.

Also, Sant Sadurní D´ Anoia, the Designation of Origin Regulatory Council and the Winery who make this product, may have issues on this product to sort out for export; and perhaps, they merged due to the crisis here ?

The USA has its regulations, and maybe the content of alcohol is higher than the USA permits !

This can be the issue, that they do NOT want to comply to the USA Laws, and therefore prepare for Japan, Which has an enormous import of Cavas for their Sashimi Bars.

I love Juve y Camps for the holidays and special occasions.

It is not inexpensive, however, quite elegant. I normally, get up to Barcelona annually and we drive over to the Wine Estate for some ...

There is "Brut" = Dry; and " Extra Brut" = Extra Dry and then, there are Reservas and Gran Reservas and Semi - Sweet ...

Have nice wkend and thanks for feedback,
Margi.

Last edited:
I live in the heart of British Columbia's wine country, the beautiful Okanagan. One of the closest towns to me is the wine capital of Canada - Oliver. I'm lucky to be surrounded by wineries and vineyards (and lucky to live in one of the few places in Canada that don't have horrendous snowy winters). My fella and I are actually getting married at a winery in September :)

Unfortunately, I'm not a huge wine drinker. But if I'm looking to enjoy a glass (or two), I prefer Pinot Noirs and Cabernet Sauvignons. My favourite wineries in the area are Blasted Church and Elephant Island. See Ya Later Ranch also has some breathtaking views from their winery.

Last edited:
i hate to throw a spanner into the works, but i'm often reminded of an old "m*a*s*h*" episode where the docs tried to quit drinking for a week. i've done it, and it's a bitch. but i'm amazed at how much better i feel, how much energy i have when i do so.

if you drink more than one or two drinks a day, especially 4 or more days a week, you've got a problem.

i know there's a big arguement about european culture being different from uptight american culture, but i also have daily experience with my immigrant european neighbors who are, for the vast part, severe alcoholics.

again, sorry to be that 4am cup of coffee in a bar when it's last call, but people need to take a look at themselves and see how they feel if they quit for a week or two.

i hate to throw a spanner into the works, but i'm often reminded of an old "m*a*s*h*" episode where the docs tried to quit drinking for a week. i've done it, and it's a bitch. but i'm amazed at how much better i feel, how much energy i have when i do so.

if you drink more than one or two drinks a day, especially 4 or more days a week, you've got a problem.

i know there's a big arguement about european culture being different from uptight american culture, but i also have daily experience with my immigrant european neighbors who are, for the vast part, severe alcoholics.

again, sorry to be that 4am cup of coffee in a bar when it's last call, but people need to take a look at themselves and see how they feel if they quit for a week or two.

It's nice waking up in the morning and realizing the stupid things you did the night before are forever burned into your sober memory...:LOL:

But, at least you do remember and don't have a helpful friend telling you about it.

lol. yes, it's also easiier to own up to things without saying it was the alcohol. builds character, thickens the skin and bacbone.

i need a beer... :cool:

@ Vanitas,

Firstly, thanks so much for your informative feedback on British Colombian Canadian wines.

Unfortunately, I have never wine tasted a wine from British Colombia however, I have been to a Canadian Embassy Wine Tasting and had the loveliest Ice Wines ...

They are quite pricey here in the Madrid Capital.

I shall make note of your recommendations and if we get over to the northwest Pacific, or Canada, for sure, I shall do a wine tasting ...

Thanks for feedback.

Have nice wkend.
M.C.

@ Buckytom,

From my viewpoint, there is a huge difference between having a couple of glasses of wine, over a prolonged dinner, SIPPING AND SAVOURING with dinner than imbiding excessively.

However, this thread is about wine knowledge and sharing information about wines we SIP AND SAVOUR verses swallow & get drunk.

Besides, there are not too many people who get drunk on a glass or two of Prosecco, Cava or Wine during dinner !

T.U. for your feedback.

Have nice wkend.
M.C.

Last edited:
@ Vanitas,

Firstly, thanks so much for your informative feedback on British Colombian Canadian wines.

Unfortunately, I have never wine tasted a wine from British Colombia however, I have been to a Canadian Embassy Wine Tasting and had the loveliest Ice Wines ...

They are quite pricey here in the Madrid Capital.

I shall make note of your recommendations and if we get over to the northwest Pacific, or Canada, for sure, I shall do a wine tasting ...

Thanks for feedback.

Have nice wkend.
M.C.
Ice wine is fairly pricey here too. We even have ice cider, but I haven't tried it because of the price.

Tax lady,

The high price tags are due to the Boutique Production ( small quantities ).

A bottle of an absolutely lovely Ice Wine was 93 Euros at a "posh" upscale wine shop in Madrid. Though, I do have to say, it was wonderful ...

Kind regards.
Margi.

The high price of ice wine is also due to the expensive production costs. According to Canadian VQA standards, grapes used for ice wine can only be picked when the temperature is -8C or lower. Usually they are picked during the night sometime between December and February. Then they must be crushed right away using specialized hydraulic presses that can handle the frozen fruit. And then there is the fact that, when all is said and done, you may only get a drop or two of juice from each grape.

It requires a lot of work just to make a small amount of ice wine. :)

Steve,

Yes certainly the expensive type of production costs coupled by the boutique production shall bring up costs ... They do not have a local following though expats enjoy.

I had been informed that now Sweden, Finland and Norway, are in the mist of producing too ...

Thanks for all your valuable wine knowledge.
Margi.

Last edited:
The high price of ice wine is also due to the expensive production costs. According to Canadian VQA standards, grapes used for ice wine can only be picked when the temperature is -8C or lower. Usually they are picked during the night sometime between December and February. Then they must be crushed right away using specialized hydraulic presses that can handle the frozen fruit. And then there is the fact that, when all is said and done, you may only get a drop or two of juice from each grape.

It requires a lot of work just to make a small amount of ice wine. :)
I said it was pricey; I didn't say it was overpriced. ;)

Some stuff is just like that. Saffron comes to mind. It's very labour intensive to harvest. It was used a lot in the middle ages, when labour was cheap.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom