Diners, Drive-ins and Dives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bolas De Fraile

Executive Chef
Over the holidays I became quite bored so searching my sattelite channels I found Food Network. The star of the shows for us is 3D's, we were amazed by the quality and inovation of the cooking in these places.
I have traveled a lot in America and had some very good Burgers ect in these places but this was something else. We also like the loony who presents the show.
Question 1, is there a map or book I can buy that lists these places?
Question 2, with the availability of this fantastic fast food how the hell does McDonalds ect survive?

Ps We watched a sweet pie making competition with a prize of $10,000, has anyone from this board entered it.
PPs Unwrapped is brilliant:)

Triple D, Guy Fieri has two books out with featured recipes and the addresses from some of his favorite places. If you get a chance, you should watch "Guy's Big Bite." Great show.

I like Unwrapped, too!

DDD, my favorite show on that network. Probably because I am fond of diner food. Some of those places have some great food and tips.
If you like that show you might also like Man vs Food on the Travel Channel. Maybe not the end where Adam stuffs his face, but the parts leading up to the ending also feature some well made food with a unique flare. I love when those shows visit the BBQ joints.

Question 2, with the availability of this fantastic fast food how the hell does McDonalds ect survive?

I wish they didn't. Independent places like those featured on Triple D blow away the fast foot chains. It's a real shame too because the big boys have the billions to flood the airwaves with advertising, marketing to kids and busy parents. The amount of "unknown" ingredients that these places use...YUCK. Good independent restaurants is where you will find the best sauces, gravies, dressings, soups...they take the time to prepare and they have (usually) folks working who take pride in what they make/serve. Fast food places do not for obvious reasons.

The best burger I ever taste was a homemade Creole burger, can't remember the recipe :/

i hate to say it, bolas, but part of the reason places like mickey d's survive because of time, or lack thereof really.

you can get a 'meal" within a minute without having to ever get out of your car at mcdonald's or wendy's. you can be done stuffing your face and back on the road in your hectic day within 10 minutes, or as fast as you can eat it.

whereas eating at a diner would requiring waddling into the joint and waiting 15 minutes or longer for your food.

i know that seems wrong, and healthwise, it statistically is.

I like the show, the host, and diner food, myself. But I think it's a bit overexposed these days.

Mr. Fieri has, though, opened our eyes to what may be in our own backyard.:)

at times he annoys me///But i still like him
I was actually at one of the places he was reviewing before he got so huge
It wasnt long after he won Food Networks next star..DH and i were rooting for him and happy he won
anyway...my friends and I were eating at the Penguin...i look up and see him
he was the next table over,,,So i said HEYYYYY,,I know you,,,you are the dude that won that show
he laughed said yes,,,and hello
I asked him if he liked his food and he said yes,,thanks
lol
then he asked for reccs for a barbeque place
he was very normal and nice

I enjoy those types of shows and guide books that point out these little places but, in the end I think they ruin most of the places with the added exposure and fame.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom