Diners, Drive-ins, & Dives comments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freefallin1309

Senior Cook
DW and I have now eaten at 2 of the places Guy has visited on his show in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

Chef's Pointe in Watauga and Jamaican Gates in Arlington.

Neither of us were thrilled with Chef's Pointe, the food was not nearly as good as it sounded on TV. But we also couldn't get what we wanted because they were out ... something I find despicable in any restaurant. How can you run out? Whoever is doing the ordering needs to pay more attention.

Jamaican Gates was okay, DW's Jerk Chicken was excellent. I wanted to try the Curry Goat. I liked the curry flavor, but the mutton was very fatty and had the consistency of snot, so it was rather hard to swallow. Not to mention there was more bone in it than meat. But the flavor was there, they had real good flavor.

We're going to try a burger joint in east Dallas sometime in the near future and I'll post the results here. But in the mean time, how about sharing your Triple D experiences ...

the diner in Hyde Park NY is really fine. There are two on RT 17 in NJ near Hohokus that are also good and the famous Matasoris in Bordentown on US 130/206. THese folks know what they are doing.

"How can you run out"
It's easy, sometimes its not about whos doing the order. If you sell alot of the same item, especially because your restaurant was on tv is completely understandable. I understand when people are upset when a menu item is sold out but it happens to everyone.

DW and I have now eaten at 2 of the places Guy has visited on his show in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

Chef's Pointe in Watauga and Jamaican Gates in Arlington.

Neither of us were thrilled with Chef's Pointe, the food was not nearly as good as it sounded on TV. But we also couldn't get what we wanted because they were out ... something I find despicable in any restaurant. How can you run out? Whoever is doing the ordering needs to pay more attention.

Jamaican Gates was okay, DW's Jerk Chicken was excellent. I wanted to try the Curry Goat. I liked the curry flavor, but the mutton was very fatty and had the consistency of snot, so it was rather hard to swallow. Not to mention there was more bone in it than meat. But the flavor was there, they had real good flavor.

We're going to try a burger joint in east Dallas sometime in the near future and I'll post the results here. But in the mean time, how about sharing your Triple D experiences ...

I have only been to Texas once...but we ate in our apartment or BBQ'd outside...I found the food in the supermarkets amazing!! I do agree with you about running out of food though! they should take it off the menu before they give it to you. I much prefer to eat at home now, so I know what's gone in the food.

It's horrible when places run out of their famous dish. Such a bummer when you show up with a craving for something and then find out you can't get it. I haven't visited any places from this show but it sounds like a good idea. I have to assume that being a vegetarian, I wouldn't have much luck with what they feature. Most of the things I've seen on the show have been very very meaty.

He definitely does a good job of making things look appetizing. I live in Austin, I haven't seen any of the places he's visited around here on TV although I know has been to some. I definitely will be looking up where he has been here and checking it out.

Where is this East Dallas burger place? I live in east Dallas. You may surprise me. Are you speaking of Keller's?

It's the place that has burgers named after TV characters, I think it was called Louie's, though we never ended up making it there.

I totally forgot this was a DDD thread. Now that's funny. Especially if you consider just who lives in Highland Park. I mean, this is home to many billionaires. I'm sure Jerry Jones and Don Hicks eat hamburgers.

the diner in Hyde Park NY is really fine. There are two on RT 17 in NJ near Hohokus that are also good and the famous Matasoris in Bordentown on US 130/206. THese folks know what they are doing.

Are you talking about the Eveready ? That is a seriously good place. Never had a bad meal when I went there.

A DDD in an upscale area? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Funny huh? :) I believe that's the area George "Dubbya" moved to after presidency as well. It's a very upscale end of Dallas, probably the highest.

jade said:
I'll have to look that up and try out some places.

Here's the list of episodes with their addresses. I looked it over and didn't see anything that jumped out as specifically vegetarian, you may just need to watch the episodes and look for vegetarian meals at some of the places. I wish I could be of more help, but the vegetarian meals were at restaurants that weren't specifically veggie-friendly. One of them I remember was a burger joint, but it was 'bean burgers', but I've watched so many episodes I don't know which one it's in.

Got this from DDD's website:

Louie's

1839 N Henderson Avenue
Dallas, TX 75206
Tel: (214) 826-0505

Hi freefallin1309

You can find locations of local Diners, Drive-ins and Dives on interactive map designed and developed by Mapmuse at find.mapmuse.com/interest/diners-guy. If you wish you can add your own DDD's location in the map.

Regards

He visited a hamburger place here in Topeka and kept going on about how good it is and their signature apple pies. Well, to be honest, we had other much better hamburger places in town and their pies really aren't anything that special. But at least one local place made it on the show I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom