Entertaining and Educational Cooking Shows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imlearning2cook

Assistant Cook
Hi, I am just starting to learn to cook but having a hard time finding my TV guru.

Are there any shows out their that can teach the basics of recipies, yet still be able to give me pointers in cooking. I find some of these shows to be too advanced for me. Entertainment is a plus.

Thanks

Well, on the Food Network Alton Brown's Good Eats is one good show (entertaining and informative if you want to know the science of what goes on in the kitchen on the stove or in the oven). Tyler Florence is pretty good - he has two shows How to Boil Water and Tyler's Ultimate ...

If you want to learn Italian then switch over to Fine Living network and catch Mario Batali - Emeril Green on the Green Network is toned down from his Live showman stick and actually is pretty informative. James Barber's Urban Peasant on ION-L network is another good show that is down to earth and simple to follow.

And, there are the shows on your local PBS station ... when they are on varies from market to market, they air on Saturday here and in other places they are aired on Sunday ... usually in the morning and in sometimes another couple of hours in the afternoon. America's Test Kitchen is a good one for understanding what does and doesn't work in a recipe ... but there are some other shows that are equally as informative but not in quite as "instructive" format as ATK.

That should get you started on a few ....

Jacques Pepin and Lidia Bastianich are on you local pbs channel regularly. Both will entertain you, give you great and uncomplicated recipes, and teach you techniques that will help you be a better cook.

I'd look for Alton Brown's Good Eats on the Food Network or America's Test Kitchen on PBS.

I think they're the only 2 that really concentrate on teaching rather than just recipe making.

I second that about America's Test Kitchen, great show! Rick Bayless is also one of my favorites.
One could always look at the local library for videos/DVD's, that's where i found Julia Child's stuff.

Giada DeLaurentiis

I suggest that you watch "Everyday Italian" on the Food Network. Giada explains as she cooks. :chef:

Where's Sarah when we need her? I wonder whether the Food Network might be selling "the complete series" DVD-sets of old shows...

Among the newer shows, Ask Aida makes a good effort to teach basic cooking. I learn a lot from Alton Brown and America's Test Kitchen, too.

For me, the defining trait of a good cook & teacher is: generosity. If you feel the spirit of givingness coming from a TV personality, go ahead and adopt him/her as one of your cooking gurus.

Here's another vote for Alton Brown. He is very informative as well as entertaining. I have been cooking for MANY MANY years...and I always find that I learn something new while watching his show.

The Food Network has a wide variety of cooking shows you can learn from. I mean, if you want Italian, there's Giada's Everyday Italian, or Mario Batalli's show. There's Jamie Oliver in Oliver's Twist, you can also learn a lot through Bobby Flay. And the list goes on. There, all you have to do I think is to stay tuned in the FoodNetwork and you'll have a great time learning, and watching too! :chef:

Back
Top Bottom