Food in the News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's one in the Globe and Mail..a reputable news source in Canada..If it is true, I'm glad that there will still probably be lot's of meat in my lifetime, so, that's all that matters, I guess..
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-with-veganism-on-the-rise-is-meat-cooked/

Oh my goodness me!
As soon as you say (in the first paragraph of this article) that Veganisum is being fueled by NYC, SF and LA ... I'm out! Celebrities are influencing far too much in the World. When it's the "Next Gen" or Millennials say they are vegans/vegetarians/pescetarians, they just want to be like so-and-so-who's-hot-now :mellow:
... and this too shall pass ...
Humans are omnivores :)

Here's one in the Globe and Mail..a reputable news source in Canada..If it is true, I'm glad that there will still probably be lot's of meat in my lifetime, so, that's all that matters, I guess..
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-with-veganism-on-the-rise-is-meat-cooked/
Take heart, K-Girl, Roch's article got me looking for an article I read in my Eating Well magazine a couple months ago. VERY encouraging for those of us who like meat, and a good argument for why it isn't as damaging to the planet as the celebrities would like us to think.

This Man Wants You to Eat More Meat

"...If advocates of regenerative farming are right, eating meat—the right meat—may be one of the best things you can do for the environment.

This notion, to put it mildly, runs contrary to the message that has been drummed into our heads for over a decade..." Save the Planet! Eat More Meat!

Take heart, K-Girl, Roch's article got me looking for an article I read in my Eating Well magazine a couple months ago. VERY encouraging for those of us who like meat, and a good argument for why it isn't as damaging to the planet as the celebrities would like us to think.

This Man Wants You to Eat More Meat

"...If advocates of regenerative farming are right, eating meat—the right meat—may be one of the best things you can do for the environment.

This notion, to put it mildly, runs contrary to the message that has been drummed into our heads for over a decade..." Save the Planet! Eat More Meat!

It isn't an all or nothing concept -- like most things.

Eating vegetables only is more efficient. With modern feeding practices, it takes a lot of corn and grain to feed the animals we eat. Only 20 percent of the corn grown in the USA actually feeds humans.

Does that mean we should all become vegetarians? No. But, if everyone in the US gave up meat for one day a week, the impact would be enormous. It is the same as making a list of things you need, and going to five stores in one trip, instead of going to five stores in five trips -- it cuts your carbon footprint, and you save money on fuel. Small changes can make a big difference.

There is a 3,000 acre working ranch a few blocks from my home -- in the Dallas suburbs. The owner doesn't want (or need) to develop it, and the city is very happy with that. The cattle are moved from pasture to pasture to graze on grass. Our HS football teams play in an indoor stadium, and we have a ranch in town. The ranch is about 4 miles away from an IKEA, Apple Store and a Nordstrom. Go figure that out.

But, you don't have to go too far West from here to find feedlots, where cattle live in disgusting conditions and eat corn that their bodies did not evolve to eat, to get fat fast. When you drive by those feedlots, the smell will make you feel sick.

CD

Last edited:
Oh my goodness me!
As soon as you say (in the first paragraph of this article) that Veganisum is being fueled by NYC, SF and LA ... I'm out! Celebrities are influencing far too much in the World. When it's the "Next Gen" or Millennials say they are vegans/vegetarians/pescetarians, they just want to be like so-and-so-who's-hot-now :mellow:
... and this too shall pass ...
Humans are omnivores :)
Glad I read through the thread before commenting..

That in bold made me laugh and shake my head.. While I don't consume as much meat as I used to, I look upon NYC, SF and LA as fad fueled communities..

Ross

Last edited:
A school district in my area is starting a program this year to provide scratch-made food in all 82 of its school buildings. That's like opening 82 restaurants in a couple of years. I hope it goes well. It could be a model for other places.

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/...cle_4f4b1c74-ac98-11e8-9878-4b90b6a9b2d5.html

Great news!

We need to teach children more the the "three-Rs." We need to teach them life skills, which include reasonably healthy eating habits. Plus, developing bodies need good nutrition.

We don't let kids drink beer, or smoke cigarettes, so why do we let them eat stuff that isn't good for them, and drink three sodas a day?

CD

It’d be great to give the kids who wanted to a chance to get involved in the prep and cooking, as well. And a garden! The possibilities aren’t limitless, given education budgets. But there certainly are a few really good ones to explore!

It’d be great to give the kids who wanted to a chance to get involved in the prep and cooking, as well. And a garden! The possibilities aren’t limitless, given education budgets. But there certainly are a few really good ones to explore!

One of my HS classmates, friend and former neighbor has formed an organization that teaches kids to plant and harvest good food in the big city of Chicago.

The Yellow Tractor Project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=27&v=fBFT1oxQYtg

CD

Last edited:
I had heard some folks saying that they've had their Pyrex dishes exploding on them.
I know of this one gal who was seriously injured !!!

https://www.cookinglight.com/syndic...utm_term=51078FA6-B2F2-11E8-B117-06C64F017A06

You're right Kgirl. It is a serious consideration that people should read and be aware of.
But my story happened in the late 70's. Before they changed the manufacturing process.

Husband and I were going for supper at a friend's mother's home (mother was away on vacation and daughter was babysitting house). Our friend pulled the oven shelf out and reached for the casserole to remove, she grabbed it with the oven mitts - and in mid-air - it exploded -throwing hot macaroni, cheese and glass shards every where.
Luckily she was not injured nor her husband standing near by. Most of it hit the lower cupboards and onto the floor.
Unfortunately the floor was covered with a rubber backed carpet (wall to wall - popular back in the day). Melted burn spots all over the carpet, for which, LOL, her mother never really forgave her.

I guess the moral of the story is - if the material has the potential to explode/melt/do something/anything - then always treat it like it will - no matter what the manufacturer claims.

Since then I have always always put hot (or frozen) glass dishes onto a thick DRY towel/mat/oven mitt when moving from one environment to another.

One of my HS classmates, friend and former neighbor has formed an organization that teaches kids to plant and harvest good food in the big city of Chicago.

That's awesome. Getting kid's hands in the dirt and on to the knife in the kitchen is a great way to get, especially nutrition challenged kids, off to a great start. A lot of inner city kids dont even see real grocery stores because they are often not built in their neighborhood (for many complex reasons), and worn down public park space is their only exposure to dirt.

My son volunteers and teaches at-risk and food desert challenged kids in the city of Richmond, VA also, he teaches both music (how to play instruments, read music, etc.) AND growing and preparing food. Taking them from seed to harvest to kitchen to table.

As Martha Stewart says, "it's a good thing".

I'm not as generous with my time, sadly. I admire those who are.

Reading some of those meals just made me want to gag. Maybe in my 20's but.... seriously, 3 types of breakfast meat at the same time? Waffles AND toast? not even back then would I have eaten many of those combinations.

Can't call it decadent, that sort of sounds like over the top but somehow stylish... but those?

how about slovenly piggish... go ahead everyone, join in with your favourite word to denote....

and do they serve those paper thin mint chocolates after? That what I see...

Back
Top Bottom