Gordon Ramsay (Merged)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feel like throwing food sometimes... but then, there's no one but me to clean it up!!! (LOL!)

Speaking of throwing food, I had a chef once who got so mad one time at one of the prep cooks for butchering a salmon while she was trying to debone it that he threw the rather large fish across the room. It hit the swinging doors so hard that it actually flew out into the restaurant, which still had some lunch guests finishing their meals. He made her go and get the fish, and because we "couldn't serve that &*#$% for dinner", we had to eat it for our staff meal. So, Ramsey is not one of a kind.

After watching the 2 hours or the new HK, which I agree the new people are real "winners", I watched an episode of the previous season on our Canadian Food Network (it is always one season behind) which I hadn't watched before on Fox. It was the episode where Ji hurt herself and made it through the service then took herself out because of the pain. I looked at that courage and compared it to Lacey's whimpering for 6 horus in bed and (I can't remember his name) the rather "portly" chef who was not allowed on the helicopter because he exceeded the 300 lb limit by 100 lbs.

Don't get me wrong, I am overweight myself and am not judging him in anyway. I think Ramsey was just a little harsh (though he thinly veiled it as being subtle) for sending him on the ferry only to get to Catalina in time to get back on the ferry. That was such an obvious snub disguised in the beginning as a nice gesture. It might have been better to just say he couldn't go at all.

But I do like and admire Gordon Ramsey. I agree that he is what he is.

The kitchen I worked in was a bit "Gordon Ramsey-ish" at times. Our chef actually threw food on occasion. The maddest he ever got was even his mistake - food and bad words still flew though :rolleyes:

I am thankful you comment about others who are in Ramsay's place. He isn't far from the mold if your chef acted similar. Last night he was so upset at the amount of noodles one of the girls had thrown out as well as how much lamb they wasted. He often looks as though he is going to pop a vein with the color of his face when he gets mad. Bothers me about his stress level. He isn't a young guy anymore.

After watching the 2 hours or the new HK, which I agree the new people are real "winners",

I think that they pick "winners" on purpose to spice up the show. You can see it on Gordon's face. He is aware of the selection process.

The same thing has happened on American Idol. How many tone deaf overweight MALE! belly dancers do they let through before we see one person with talent?

I love Gordon and sometimes find him slightly over the top but really love his shows. The cursing doesn't bother me that much, but then again, I married a drummer in a rock band, so swearing - a lot, sort of comes with the territory. If you have ever been in a commercial kitchen and heard the banter, Gordon's dialogue is pretty tame. Janet Porter is off-putting at times both visually and verbally but she knows her stuff about ingredients.
BTW - the f word is for food.
He know his stuff and when you watch him cook individual dishes, they aren't that far off from what we are cooking every day.

The last episode of HK I saw had some one of the contestants getting in Gordon Ramsey's face trying to fight him. They ended the episode without showing what happened and said that it would continue on the next episode. The preview they showed for it had firetrucks and stuff... does anyone know what really happened? Was that staged? The guy who blew up was definitely over reacting and really had no reason to blow up and Gordon.

The last episode of HK I saw had some one of the contestants getting in Gordon Ramsey's face trying to fight him. They ended the episode without showing what happened and said that it would continue on the next episode. The preview they showed for it had firetrucks and stuff... does anyone know what really happened? Was that staged? The guy who blew up was definitely over reacting and really had no reason to blow up and Gordon.

That is NEXT week. They did that to get you to continue to watch to see what happens. Looked really bizarre even for his show. Guy wanted to take Ramsay outside and finish what he started. How dumb is that? I feel Ramsay could take him seeing how Ramsay thinks so quick and moves the same way. Bet his ratings will be up that week. Think the guy was told to react that way? People do anything these days if price is right.

Ramsay is in surprisingly good shape, he's an athlete and he'd be a tough fight ... not to mention he's Scottish :-p

We were not going to watch anymore HK's, we stopped the season before last ... but with this drama ... we may have to watch it :)

Ramsay is in surprisingly good shape, he's an athlete and he'd be a tough fight ... not to mention he's Scottish :-p

We were not going to watch anymore HK's, we stopped the season before last ... but with this drama ... we may have to watch it :)

that's what he expects! As someone said, he does know what gets people's attention both food and otherwise

I agree he looks like he could handle anyone, even a woman! He did mention that he has been 'there done that' so often. He paid his dues and he knows how to make or break the best, not matter how he has to do it. His methods are really questioned by most but as he says, 'been there done that'.

I admire the way he treats and talks about his family. Most people are losing the way he thinks of them. He treats his mother with such respect. She sure can be proud, F word or no F word. (Didn't someone say that it stood for Food?)

Well - let's face it. While technically the show says that the "f" in "The 'f' Word" stands for food, you'd have to be in a coma not to realize that it's also supposed to be a cute double for Gordon's favorite expletive deletive.

Chef Kathleen,

You have a couple of great points especially:

"Well, one did and I yelled right back. We got along fine after that. We never threw food though as that was money to us all."

Most of the time as long as you are a great cook and teamplayer all you need to do is stand up for yoruself and you will have earned the respect of everyone in the kitchen. Also if I found my staff throwing food in the kitchen they would be working someplace else.

one Chef instructor flung a shelf-full of measuring cups at us cause they weren't turned the right way, then made us re-wash them. swears like a drunken sailor. i adore him, respect him, & he's been very gentle & kind to me upon my return to school this year. he's not working at school anymore, though i stop by to see him & for the occassional hug. :)
another old Chef, his former co-worker, is the same way.
those two old guys, they're awesome. they just don't like certain employees & students.

& i don't mind that show. i watch it.

Mark Webster said:
Most of the time as long as you are a great cook and teamplayer all you need to do is stand up for yourself and you will have earned the respect of everyone in the kitchen. Also if I found my staff throwing food in the kitchen they would be working someplace else.

I agree Mark. It is a tough environment though. I really can't recall anyone ever throwing anything in the kitchens I've worked in. I did ball out a potwasher, athough lightly, one time for putting my knives in his pot sink. I then had reached in and pulled out a knife, blade first in my hand. I told him not only was that unsafe for him as well as me but, that was how I kept the kitchen open was with my hands and knives. Couldn't do the job without either.

Last edited by a moderator:
i hate when people leave stuff like knives in the sink. today someone left the robo coupe blade in the sink.

Since this thread is started, I hope to see your comments after the coming show. I do like all of your honesty, I know he would too. After all he can say what he feels. I bet he sleeps good at night except when he has to think about someone beating him up.

I bet he sleeps good at night except when he has to think about someone beating him up.

I never have problems going to sleep,but if we are prepping for a big event the next day I find myself laying in bed going over everything thing I need to do the next day and I start to prioritize my day. I don't get alot of sleep that night, but when I am driving into work I feel confident about the day ahead.

Another thing about knifes or blades in the sink is when a cook has a dirty pan with a knife on it and then they place another pan on top, and walk over the whole stack to the Utility area. Of course they neglect to tell the dishwashers that there is a knife hidden in the pile of pans. I implemented a policy where I work that all knifes/blades are to be hand washed by the cook using them.

At the end of the day everybody goes home with 10 fingers ô¿~

Another thing about knifes or blades in the sink is when a cook has a dirty pan with a knife on it and then they place another pan on top, and walk over the whole stack to the Utility area. Of course they neglect to tell the dishwashers that there is a knife hidden in the pile of pans. I implemented a policy where I work that all knifes/blades are to be hand washed by the cook using them.

At the end of the day everybody goes home with 10 fingers ô¿~

:clap:

Good idea Mark. That's how it ended up in my kitchen as well. You use the knife, you clean it and put it away.
I used to go over the next days events as well. The last time I cooked for a large amount of people it was in the mid '90s over 2000 ppl and I was a wreck. But nothing beats having a kick butt staff to back you up on days like that. And prep,prep,prep.LOL

Kathleen,

Are you still in the trenches on a regualar basis or did you go a different route?I

ts different where I am at currently, but I still feed about 5,000 a week. The excitement of a Friday or Saturday when you are trying to hold it together, hoping you won't have to 86 your special and making sure that none of the stations fall into the weeds. Pllus the added bonus of trying to make sure the FOH and BOH staff don't kill one another.

Aw, what a great life. Then you go home at 1:00AM and grab a bowl of cereal or make a sandwich.

Back
Top Bottom