Have we become "groupies?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you can't go wrong with heavy cast iron no matter who's name is on it, kads. good luck with it.

i've been eyeing a ci dutch oven with the boy scout fleur de lis symbol on the lid.

i will always remember the first time i saw a ci dutch oven. i was a scout camping at philmont in new mexico. our guide to get us started.on the trail was tbis little 5' tall guy that we, even as high school freshman, were bigger.

we all snickered behind his back those first few days and 30 miles or so on the trail. we gave him the nickname chisolm from an ol' john wayne character sort of mocking him. (hey, it was the late 70's and a mocking counter culture was the norm).

well, on the final night before he cuts us loose on the rest of our 125 mile itinerary, he pulls a giant ci dutch oven and several large cans of sliced peaches out of his pack.
now, every backpacker does everything they can do to reduce weight, but this little, wiry guy hauled that behemoth just so he could make us a peach cobbler to start off our adventure alone as a troop.

i will never forget the lessons learned there, and when i saw the scout dutch oven recently, i decided i will have to repeat that great lesson with my son.

i hope i don't have a heart attack doing it, lol, come to think of it.

That's a great story! And Chisolm...very appropriate! We're wasting daylight!

Umm...I guess that makes me a John Wayne groupie...

Last edited:
Buckytom as a former Scout Leader buy from Lodge, you won't pay the BSA mark-up. For those who haven't experienced it, there is nothing better then peach cobbler from a C I dutch oven at the end of a hard day on the Trail.

I've very much gotten away from "personality" "chef" shows. Too much show, not enough substance. I still like Ming Tsai. But I have a problem with being yelled at. I'm sitting there, involved in a recipe, and someone yells at me from the television. I hate it. I blame the fact that my generation, and my husband's have a lot of hearing problems. But if you scream or yell from the TV, you are turned off. Now.

I've very much gotten away from "personality" "chef" shows. Too much show, not enough substance. I still like Ming Tsai. But I have a problem with being yelled at. I'm sitting there, involved in a recipe, and someone yells at me from the television. I hate it. I blame the fact that my generation, and my husband's have a lot of hearing problems. But if you scream or yell from the TV, you are turned off. Now.

Me too! I love my mute button:wub:. Closed captioning is good too.

I do not care about any products any of chefs promote/advertise and am not going to run and buy it, no matter how much I may like the chef. I don't even think I've bough any of the books simply becasue I like a chef. I have bough cook books for specific reasons, i.e. Mexican cooking, or Sushi making, but chefs name did not make any difference. I went to store, spent time looking thru it and picked the one I liked. i am not a groopie, neoither will I ever be one. it is kind of silly to be one, if not pathetic.

Have not been influenced to buy any brand promoted by any TV Chef/personality. Been influenced to buy some items based on features recommended by them though. I like to watch Alton Brown because his quirkiness makes me smile and I like the challenge shows, Food Network Challenge, Throw Down, Chopped, IC America... Mostly because I find it interesting to watch someone doing in a very limited amount of time, things I couldn't do in a week or even attempt.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom