I'm Getting A Little Annoyed With Giada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Giada's show pioneered some of the close camera work we now take for granted on foodtv. And of course those sounds of onion being chopped or sizzling in the pan.
I think I have made 2 or 3 of her recipes and found them ok to really good.

I prefer her to the excesses of Paula Dean and family.
Was Nigella's show on before Giada's? I seem to remember close-ups of her food prep (and lot of finger licking).

I've seen Paula taste from a spoon and use it right after to stir something. I don't even do that at home.

I'd like to remind folks about our Community Policies. No bashing comes to mind along with be respectful. People have physical attributes they can do nothing about...that's simply how they are. Is everyone of us here perfect? If someone was talking about your sister, or your mother, in this fashion would it be acceptable? I would think, and hope, not.

If you want to talk constructively without the bashing please feel free. Otherwise, respect our Community Policies and keep the bashing to yourself. Some posts have been removed because they are nothing but bashing.

Please use this forum as it is intended.

LOL ... I remember an unknown woman that had a new cooking show on PBS once ... a lot of people didn't like her because she was too tall (about 6-ft+), was too mannish, had a high shrill voice, she talked like she was drunk all the time, and she was known to drop food on the floor, pick it up, rinse it off, and cook it anyway! She even told people it was okay to do that - nobody would ever know!

A lot of people got over their personal prejudices about her physical characteristics and her little quirks ... and they learned to respect her for what she was teaching them.

Well, maybe some people still don't like Julia Child for those reasons ...

I'd like to remind folks about our Community Policies. No bashing comes to mind along with be respectful. People have physical attributes they can do nothing about...that's simply how they are. Is everyone of us here perfect? If someone was talking about your sister, or your mother, in this fashion would it be acceptable? I would think, and hope, not.

If you want to talk constructively without the bashing please feel free. Otherwise, respect our Community Policies and keep the bashing to yourself. Some posts have been removed because they are nothing but bashing.

Please use this forum as it is intended.

When did Giada become part of our "community"? what's her member name? I wanna send her a friend add ;)

When did Giada become part of our "community"? what's her member name? I wanna send her a friend add ;)
When was it ever said that we only need to be respectful to people who are part of this site? We need to treat everyone with respect please.

And we are all part of the same global community. Treat people as you would want to be treated yourself. I am sure we all know that rule. It should be practiced no matter what the location or situation.

I always think it's interesting how in one thread there can be some bashing and not a word is said about it, then in another all of a sudden we're all minding our mouths. I obviously can't see the "innappropriate" posts anymore, as they have been deleted, but I didn't think anyone was "bashing". We're being a little critical, sure...but title of this thread is being critical, so I am not sure how this thread couldn't have gone in that direction.

Maybe this thread should have been moved to the "venting" thread since it seems anything goes there?

I think with Giada the answer is rather simple. She did not really grew up in Italy. She went to school in France, so her cooking is affected by those things. My Russian cooking is also not 100 % Russian any more it has been affected by my life here in America. And I've only been here for some 19 years, oh my 19 years already, time flies.

Oh (pss, don't tell my my wife I said that, but) I like the above mentioned "assets", sorry, I'm an old dirty man.

I think with Giada the answer is rather simple. She did not really grew up in Italy. She went to school in France, so her cooking is affected by those things. My Russian cooking is also not 100 % Russian any more it has been affected by my life here in America..

I totally agree with this. My grandmother was born on an indian reservation, and my grandfather came over directly from Mexico. I leaned a fusion of the two cuisines, but since I was born and raised in CA, the mexican food I make has a LOT of american/californian influence.

Gives me a different perspective on Giadas recipes. Makes more sense now.

Besides, we are always free to adapt any recipe we find -- in a book, online or on a tv show -- to suit our own tastes, sensibilities, and what we have in the house. :LOL:

I always find it bothersome when someone, speaking English, uses a foreign language's pronunciation for a word with an English pronunciation.
Not that I've noticed it on any of the Food Shows, and certainly not on Giada's.

I always find it bothersome when someone, speaking English, uses a foreign language's pronunciation for a word with an English pronunciation.
Not that I've noticed it on any of the Food Shows, and certainly not on Giada's.

So you prefer the person mispronounce the foreign word to be consistent with words in another language?

Yeah, it sounds kind of ostentatious (but then, so does using the word "ostentatious" :rolleyes:). I get a kick out of people pronouncing city names like Québec, Amarillo and Los Angeles using the pronunciation of the original language instead of our commonly accepted English mangling. What good is it having your own language if you can't use it to mangle others? :LOL:

I always think it's interesting how in one thread there can be some bashing and not a word is said about it, then in another all of a sudden we're all minding our mouths. I obviously can't see the "innappropriate" posts anymore, as they have been deleted, but I didn't think anyone was "bashing". We're being a little critical, sure...but title of this thread is being critical, so I am not sure how this thread couldn't have gone in that direction.

Maybe this thread should have been moved to the "venting" thread since it seems anything goes there?

BRIEF HIJACK...Snack pack, moderators can't see everything that is what the Report Post button is for. We DO see every reported post, so if something bothers you hit that button. And keep in mind that the Mods here have to make judgement calls all the time, and we are only human. What you may not know is that the FN used to have message boards like DC and when they closed down (due to trolling) many members moved here and we said then that there would be a zero tolerance for any FN bashing or garbage. Its been a few years and we have opened up this section for people to comment but its a fine line sometimes between a comment and just posting nastiness. I hope you understand the difference. If you feel there are things being missed or some other type of inequality is being practiced here then please send one of the Admins a PM we would be more than happy to discuss things with you.

And now, back to the original topic...Giada doesn't really bug me much, but I admit, I don't watch her. Not because of any of her physical attributes, but because there are better shows to watch.

Aye, and too skinny to be a good cook, too! And yes, I don't think Bobby Flay is "all that", either ...

Ah, I should be honest. I had to look up in Google who Giada is. I've never seen her show. I haven't had a TV in years. I wouldn't have bothered, but the talk about "assets" piqued my interest. (Financially, speaking, of course!) :LOL:
i call bobby - snobby flay. i am italian and i scream when i see giada murder something my mom and aunt's make.

justin well i garrrrunteeeeeeee hes still sucking crawfish heads off news paper!! it took me months to figure out "coobeeun" was court boulion!! :LOL: but i loved him!

cooks these days don't take time to teach techniques like chiffonade, julian and such like julia, jacque, the frug, Madeleine or graham kerr (remember the galloping gourmet? when he still drank). there was an oriental cook that counted as he chopped, he reminds me of jackie chang i can't remember his name.

Being married to an Italian gentleman, I make many of his mom's recipes but I find Giada's very close to mom's..I've made her milanese, and several others and my gang finds them very good and often asks for them over again..I don't care what someone looks like, I find her lovely to look at, but if she wasn't attractive I'd still enjoy what she offers in recipes.We all can't be considered beautiful nor ugly, what our bodies look like is only important to ourselves and our loved ones..Remember we didn't choose this body, it was given to us.;) I have to add, not all Italian recipes will be made the same way, my dh's mom was from Genoa, so her ravioli were different than some others are. She never made any foods with salt pork, or anchovies, that doesn't mean she was wrong, just differnt dialect. Also some ingredients found in Italy are not available here and have to be substituted for. Thus a difference...

kadesma

Last edited:
i call bobby - snobby flay. i am italian and i scream when i see giada murder something my mom and aunt's make.

justin well i garrrrunteeeeeeee hes still sucking crawfish heads off news paper!! it took me months to figure out "coobeeun" was court boulion!! :LOL: but i loved him!

cooks these days don't take time to teach techniques like chiffonade, julian and such like julia, jacque, the frug, Madeleine or graham kerr (remember the galloping gourmet? when he still drank). there was an oriental cook that counted as he chopped, he reminds me of jackie chang i can't remember his name.
Do you mean Martin Yan? He was a whizz with that knife and cleaver:LOL:
kades

Back
Top Bottom