I'm Getting A Little Annoyed With Giada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WOW that was my experience here. It was kind of weird people coming down on someone like. As for me I like most of them on the food network, yes I have favorites, but if I don''t care for a particular show-I change the channel!

My impression is that most of this "bashing" was tongue-in-cheek, although I didn't see any of the deleted posts.

The highly polished, over-the-top, "cult of personality" cooking shows sometimes seem to invite ridicule, though. Obviously there are many thousands of cooks who are better cooks than the network stars. But that's not why they get get to be stars in the first place. They are entertainers, with the charisma, look and style that will make them popular on TV. Celebrity has its downsides, and being on the receiving end of a little gleeful bashing is one of them. They should just keep in mind that there's no such thing as bad publicity and enjoy the buzz they've created.

I do look at FN's site fairly regularly and there are some cooks that I really like, Mario for example. Then there are some I think are laughable as cooks, but still great entertainers. BAM! Either way, by virtue of their celebrity, I figure they're fair game. :LOL:

WOW that was my experience here. It was kind of weird people coming down on someone like. As for me I like most of them on the food network, yes I have favorites, but if I don''t care for a particular show-I change the channel!
for some reason i can't stand the neely's well the wife. she just rubs me the wrong way!! i love sunny from cooking for real and alton.

Giada's Roasted Chicken with Balsamic Vinaigrette is fantastic. It is one of our regular rotation meals. I like her show, and I think she is very knowledgeable and pretty. I would trade bodies with her, but I do believe that I will keep my own nose :LOL:.

I love Mario, but then he always wears those dorky orange clogs.....;). If I were to choose someone to cook a meal for me, it would be Mario.

My impression is that most of this "bashing" was tongue-in-cheek, although I didn't see any of the deleted posts.

The highly polished, over-the-top, "cult of personality" cooking shows sometimes seem to invite ridicule, though. Obviously there are many thousands of cooks who are better cooks than the network stars. But that's not why they get get to be stars in the first place. They are entertainers, with the charisma, look and style that will make them popular on TV. Celebrity has its downsides, and being on the receiving end of a little gleeful bashing is one of them. They should just keep in mind that there's no such thing as bad publicity and enjoy the buzz they've created.

I do look at FN's site fairly regularly and there are some cooks that I really like, Mario for example. Then there are some I think are laughable as cooks, but still great entertainers. BAM! Either way, by virtue of their celebrity, I figure they're fair game. :LOL:

:LOL: BAM!! i liked his very first show on FN. now it's like david letterman!!

he and sara malton started that network.

Giada's Roasted Chicken with Balsamic Vinaigrette is fantastic. It is one of our regular rotation meals. I like her show, and I think she is very knowledgeable and pretty. I would trade bodies with her, but I do believe that I will keep my own nose :LOL:.

I love Mario, but then he always wears those dorky orange clogs.....;). If I were to choose someone to cook a meal for me, it would be Mario.
i'd choose alton food and laughs!!

BRIEF HIJACK...Snack pack, moderators can't see everything that is what the Report Post button is for. We DO see every reported post, so if something bothers you hit that button.

If you feel there are things being missed or some other type of inequality is being practiced here then please send one of the Admins a PM we would be more than happy to discuss things with you.

Thanks.

Got to thinking about cooking shows from back when I still watched TV and I remember one called something like "Two Fat Ladies". Seems like they made some real food. They were English, or at least British, IIRC.

I also liked Graham Kerr's cooking after his wife's illness. His show introduced me to sesame oil, among other interesting things. I liked how he did healthier adaptations of his old recipes, although I don't think I could live without clarified butter. LOL

msmofet said:
justin well i garrrrunteeeeeeee hes still sucking crawfish heads off news paper!! it took me months to figure out "coobeeun" was court boulion!! :LOL: but i loved him!

:LOL: But not to be confused with the classic French Court-bouillon...a poaching liquid for fish and/or vegetables --- Cajun “Coo-Be-Yon” is a tomato based (tomatoes, paste, sauce, Ro-tel etc.) dish, sometimes with a roux, sometimes not, containing the usual suspects of onion, pepper, celery, garlic, green onions, parsley and various spices, herbs, and condiments in which fish....River Catfish, and Redfish are the most popular....is gently simmered and served over rice...Exact recipes and cooking methods are as numerous as the cooks who make it! All are “licious”!!!!!!!

I respect the little lady’s initiative and accomplishments... when in reality she didn’t have to ‘hit a lick at a stick”

When Giada cooks with her mom or aunt, the sparks fly..."that's not how we do it at home or in Italy" says the aunt, but Giada comes right back with "but that's how I do it"

It is inevitable that with a new generation, new equipment, new products available etc that there will be changes. Also regional recipes change from place to place...just look at any three or four gumbo or boudin recipes.

If you have it, watch Emeril Green on the Green network. His best show yet !

Another brief highjack....
Looking back over the years that I have been interested in all things cooking, I reckon the cooking shows I watched over the years taught me basic techniques and that one is limited only by one's imagination...Sometimes cooking a "classic" dish has it's rewards. Mostly I enjoy trying different ingredients and it has been a great experience for me.
I was called upon to cook and care for my mother after she became too ill to look after herself. She always seemed to enjoy the twists and turns I would take with food. We lost her March 15, this year. The experience of spending those years with her, learning how she did things and her allowing me to use her as a guinea pig for my experiments in the kitchen were, to say the least, wonderful. I wouldn't trade it for gold.
Highjack off.....
IMHO, the folks that star in these cooking shows are just folks who know their way around a kitchen. I don't believe that I am in any position to judge them as, I know none of them personally. All of them have taught me things I likely would not have discovered on my own.

Do you mean Martin Yan? He was a whizz with that knife and cleaver:LOL:
kades

Yes, and thankfully, he still is! :angel:

I'm rather surprised no one has said "if you don't like her, don't watch her show!" Every TV comes with an on/off switch, and a remote that makes changing the channel a breeze!

I rather like Giada. I got one of my favorite quickie go-to dessert recipes, Jam Crostata, on a hummer while channel surfing. It is so easy and so good! ;) I don't expect her to cook "authentic Italian" on every show. She has far too many of them. As well, she puts her own spin (or her family's tradition) onto many of the recipes, as she should. Otherwise, you could get them out of any old "Italian cookbook!"

Got to thinking about cooking shows from back when I still watched TV and I remember one called something like "Two Fat Ladies". Seems like they made some real food. They were English, or at least British, IIRC.

I also liked Graham Kerr's cooking after his wife's illness. His show introduced me to sesame oil, among other interesting things. I liked how he did healthier adaptations of his old recipes, although I don't think I could live without clarified butter. LOL
i remember 2 fat ladies riding around on a motorcycle with a sidecar. :LOL:

i also liked 2 hot tamales. funny how the married one got divorced and the single one married the others ex-husband. i wonder if thats why the show ended. :ermm: :LOL:

i was a teen when i watched kerr's old show. he was cooking eel. he had an eel hung from the ceiling on a hook. he drank a glass of wine then he sliced the skin and whoosh he peeled the skin down and off that eel. i laughed my butt off!!

i loved 2 fat ladies! i used to tape it, that & old-school iron chef.

i like giada; she's 1 of a few i'll watch anymore.

i also liked 2 hot tamales. funny how the married one got divorced and the single one married the others ex-husband. i wonder if thats why the show ended. :ermm: :LOL:

Not sure where you got that! they are still great friends. I don't know them all that well, but one of them is gay. If the other divorced her husband, I don't know, but I don't think it had anything to do with the other "Tamale!"

Yeah, it sounds kind of ostentatious (but then, so does using the word "ostentatious" :rolleyes:). I get a kick out of people pronouncing city names like Québec, Amarillo and Los Angeles using the pronunciation of the original language instead of our commonly accepted English mangling. What good is it having your own language if you can't use it to mangle others? :LOL:

It is even worse when someone (like Giada) uses an incorrect foreign pronunciation, as though it were "correcter" somehow. "Parmesan" is pronounced how it is spelled in both English and Italian; it does not have a soft "zh" sound, just a "z". "Parmigiano" does have a "zh" sound.

Aside from that, I enjoy both her cooking and her assets:rolleyes:

My take on how Giada pronounces certain words..I married into an Italian family, all my friends as a kid were Italian, my background and neighborhood was a mix of Italian and my family French..I understood both but as I got older I realized Mrs. so and so said it one way and Mrs. Yes said it another..My mother in law had words she said that were originaly from her mom from Genoa, but over time became more Americanized..Thus when Giada say's spaghteeee it's her family's way of saying it..I accept it, it would have been rude of me to tell my mother in law the way she said Majoram (passa) was wrong it was her family's way. So I've learned to be forgiving and enjoy how people speak..As long as I understand it's fine.Speak a foreign tongue and ignore anyone..NO NO
kadesma

i've gotten some nonsense fer my pittsburgh acccent. that's just regional & that's the way i speak. an unnamed user who is now, i think, prohibited from discusscooking, messaged me that i was unintelligent & uneducated (mind you, i'm a student) for saying, 'yins guys.' soooo..... i'll be one of the last to pick on giada's pronunciations.

'yins guys.'

Made me LOL. Had a neighbor growing up from the Pitts area. Yins was normal to hear. Sometime yous as well.. I've traveled all over and LOVE the sounds of all the ways the world speaks but, the best way to understand anyone is with food. What a universal language it is.
I've also broke bread with some that I couldn't understand a word they said but the food bridged that gap.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom