Ina Garten's Apple Tart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HELP- I made Ina Garten's apple tart and it was wonderful! Crust was yummy. Problem is the apple juices ran under both ends of the parchment paper and burned onto my sheet pan. Not only did the house smell of burnt drippings, it was so bad that I just threw away the sheet pan (it was pretty old). Has anyone made this and had this problem. Any suggestions?
Thanks

line the pan with foil and then parchment. different type of apple?? but I'm sure she specifies.

also agree line the pan first w/ foil
I don't know the recipe-- but maybe coat the apples with flour might soak up some juices while cooking or sprinke lil flour under the apples first.

HELP- I made Ina Garten's apple tart and it was wonderful! Crust was yummy. Problem is the apple juices ran under both ends of the parchment paper and burned onto my sheet pan. Not only did the house smell of burnt drippings, it was so bad that I just threw away the sheet pan (it was pretty old). Has anyone made this and had this problem. Any suggestions?
Thanks

I've made Ina's easy apple tart many times now and have figured out how to avoid the flow over of the juices. When laying out the fruit on the tart, don't go all the way to the edge of the pastry, allow about 1 inch on all sides of puff pastry to be without fruit. This allows the pastry to rise up and create a puff border, holding the juices in. Check the pastry while cooking and pierce with a knife it it bubbles up too high.

Variations that are big hits with my guests are canned peach halves, sliced and placed just like you would do for the apple version. I have also freshened this up with frozen blueberries scattered about among the peaches. Another variation was fresh figs from the neighbor's tree -- fantastic!

I like to serve on 3-tier plate servers with the plates lined with doilies which absorb some of the juices and keep the pastries looking fresh.

Another puff pastry recipe from Ina that you might like is at Easy Cheese Danish Recipe : Ina Garten : Food Network

Variation: Add a dollop of raspberry or strawberry jam on each side of the filling. Easy strawberry jam from Ina is at Food Magazine | Easy Strawberry Jam

Enjoy!

I've made this twice, but used pears instead of apples, and I had the same problem. I thought it was the pears, but after reading your post, I guess it's the technique, not the fruit.

Even though it was messy, it was SOOOOO delicious!

I haven't made this yet, but I am a HUGE Ina fan. I think she is simply amazing. The suggestion of leaving about an inch around the edge makes sense. I'm glad I found this thread so now I can go look up the recipe and I know what the trick is :)

Another trick is to make a rope of Puff Pastry and line the entire outside edge about 1/4 inch on the inside flat pastry you intend to fill. You would have a rectangle with a boarder around the edge and proceed to place on the parchment lined pan. Fill with fruit of anykind or bake first, fill with a custard base or lemon base with fresh fruit topping.
Thank you for you posts, very informative. I am new to this site and have been cooking for many years. Some professional training, but mostly, family and church suppers. I teach cooking to whom ever wants to learn basics and baking.
Chef Charlie39

Back
Top Bottom