Jamie Oliver in the US?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bolledeig

Senior Cook
Where/how can I watch Jamie Oliver in the US? I've never seen him on tv here. Am I just missing him, or has America shut the blinds for him because he's European?

search you local listings for "jamie's american road trip", his latest show on american tv.

I would check Youtube. I saw 1 episode and it was months ago. The season is probably over. I know Jamie gets a bad rap in the UK from some but I liked the show and his personality (always have). We will take him here full time when you get tired of him!

I would check Youtube. I saw 1 episode and it was months ago. The season is probably over. I know Jamie gets a bad rap in the UK from some but I liked the show and his personality (always have). We will take him here full time when you get tired of him!
'ands orf 'im,'es ours!! the only people he seems to get a bad rap off are his fellow celeb chefs.he's a genuine,sincere guy & he's successful....probably winds up the likes of ramsay,who is one of his critics ,who falls flat on both counts.jamies business/restaurants are successful where ramsay & most of the other "celebs" are having a tough time & closing restaurants over here.

Thanks for the response! :)

I guess I should sit down and do some research..
Would really like to see the series where he's in american schools.

I'd also like to see more of Heston Blumenthal, but thats probably a no go in the US..

Great post. Thanks.

Jaime Oliver on USA TV is great news.

I highly recommend his Mediterranean Cookbook on Italia, Greece, Turkey, Spain, Portugal and Morocco, also.

Wonderful recipes and photographs.

Margi.

Last edited:
I have Jamie's America book, and the series to go with it was really good, he seemed to get around plenty of places in the US. Surely the US doesnt really shut the blinds to anyone European, I cant believe that.

He is incredibly successful, and a likeable chap. I love his passion for cooking and wanting to share that passion. I dont think him trying to educate people and change their ways (ie not cooking and eating junk food) always goes down well. However, I admire his enthusiasm, its wonderful.

Accents can be difficult to understand, but I just love local dialects they fascinate me. Makes us all that more interesting.

lol, you guys should try to understand a northwestern irish bartender at 3am. they speak without moving their jaw, or lips for that matter. watch an old barry fitzgerald movie to see what i mean.

When my third child was about a year old, my husband got seriously hurt at work. He was going to be out of work for a couple of months. So to supplement Workmen's Compensation, I went to work and left the kids with him. My daughter was just learning to speak. Her father was born in Cockermouth but had a strong Scottish brougue. So my daughter learned to talk from him and with the brogue. She kept that accent until she was old enough for school and to play outside with other kids.

When my third child was about a year old, my husband got seriously hurt at work. He was going to be out of work for a couple of months. So to supplement Workmen's Compensation, I went to work and left the kids with him. My daughter was just learning to speak. Her father was born in Cockermouth but had a strong Scottish brougue. So my daughter learned to talk from him and with the brogue. She kept that accent until she was old enough for school and to play outside with other kids.
Going to school can rid a kid of their accent. I had a Danish accent in English until I went to kindergarten. I remember the kids telling me stuff like, "It's three, not tree. It's the, not zuh." :LOL:

Last edited:
Jamie's tour of America was for our school systems and the food served in the cafeterias. He found the food unhealthy. Something we already know. He wanted to teach the kitchen staff how to offer nutritional meals to the children. Unfortunately, a lot of the big school systems would not let him in. It all came down to money and image. The school systems didn't want to be held up for ridicule on national TV. And we all know that it cost money to serve a balanced diet every day. Money the school systems did not have. If he had left out what the schools were serving, and just showed how the kitchen could serve better meals, his tour may have been a success. He came across as attacking our school systems.

But he did this tour when we were right in the middle of the recession. Cities and towns were scrambling for funds just to pay for the fire and police departments. Providing healthy meals was not a priority. In fact, just the opposite. I would have to say his tour was a failure. Timing was his problem. If he had waited a year or two, the schools might have listened to him. Because in that time, we came to the conclusion on our own about the meals in our schools and the obesity problem that resulted for our kids. :chef:

I have Jamie's America book, and the series to go with it was really good, he seemed to get around plenty of places in the US. Surely the US doesnt really shut the blinds to anyone European, I cant believe that.

He is incredibly successful, and a likeable chap. I love his passion for cooking and wanting to share that passion. I dont think him trying to educate people and change their ways (ie not cooking and eating junk food) always goes down well. However, I admire his enthusiasm, its wonderful.

Accents can be difficult to understand, but I just love local dialects they fascinate me. Makes us all that more interesting.
The Americans think I sound like John Lennon when I'm lashed
CLICK ON PIC

Last edited:
People should be glad someone's trying to change school cafeteria food, attacking or not. It's horrible and disgusting stuff.

When my daughter is old enough for school, I'm gonna have to spring for private school, and pack rye bread and milk in her backpack, just like my mother did for me!

Schools and communities are starting to get the message. No more soft drink vending machines in the school. Now their choices are fruit juices and water. No more fried foods in the cafeterias. More fresh fruit is offered. Less junk food. Parents are putting up a big fuss and have heard the news about the obesity epidemic in our nation. But more than the obesity is the fast rise of Type 2 diabetes in our children. The media needs to keep up the pressure and give us reports on the changes schools are making. Schools that have stopped having recess are now reinstating it. It is not just diet, but excerise that is needed. Parents need to understand that all of this begins in the home before the child even sees the doors to a school. Get the child involved with programs that give them excerise. Shut off the X Box, TV and other appliances that keep the child just sitting there and not getting excerise. Don't keep junk foods in the home and stop running to the Take Out window when you are too tired to cook.

I used to keep cut up celery and carrot sticks right in the front of the fridge so that when you opened the door it was the first thing you would see. And there was always a fruit bowl sitting on the table. It is not just the schools, but the home. :)

Back
Top Bottom