Jamie Oliver's food revolution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A cup of tea

Assistant Cook
Living in London I'm quite interested to hear what people think about Jamie Oliver's food revolution, and if anyone's seen the show. There was an article published in the Independent today about the resistance he's met in the US, which made me quite curious to hear how he's perceived by Americans. Any opinions?

The show premieres here on Friday evening, March 26th, so it will be easier to comment after that. I did see a trailer for the show, and --- well, his first focus is on Huntington, W. VA, a very blue collar town in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Mmmmm, how shall I say this? They are particularly touchy about their obesity problems. :rolleyes:
Personally, I'm looking forward to his show on every level. Oliver cooks great food, his recipes work, he is an engaging personality, AND, I think perhaps someone from the "outside" may have more success in pushing the envelopes of the seriously overweight in the US than a "local."

"Nightline" on ABC had a promo about it last week Friday night (March 19th). The story is Jamie Oliver Food Revolution, but if you want to view the video search for the story "Extreme Make-over: Food Edition". From what they showed the residents in that town seemed rather pleased by their results.

I watched the first part of "Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution" on the tele tonight and very much agree and support the whole concept, idea and premise.

I think the most salient moment tonight was the week's worth of food piled on the family's kitchen table, with the predominant colors of fried food. We all get caught-up in the day-to-day, but when we step back and look at the big picture, we can see a greater truth. A

I really love Jamie Oliver and his style of cooking. It is simple, fresh, and local. This is exactly what we strive for in our household, and achieve 90% of the time (we can't get fruit/veg locally in winter). His recipes are great and I use *many* of them in my repertoire.

I saw the hour-long preview of the series and I think he is DEAD ON with his assessment and advice. I agree with him 100%. We are raising kids that for the first time in known history, have a shorter life expectancy than the previous generation. That REQUIRES a revolution. I've had the same signature since I joined here years ago, so my thoughts on processed food are very clear. And I don't think I'm off the mark in that regard.

I can't wait to see the series. I watched the program (on BBC, maybe) that he did in the U.K. and remember him having similar resistance, but he did affect some change.

What is so very sad is that many people actually don't SEE the problem. If you can't see the problem, you can't fix it. I thought some were defensive before he could even start talking, and that is sad. It made them appear ignorant, especially that D.J., who said, "You're not going to make me eat salad!" :rolleyes: The lunch ladies are like addicts that can't see their addiction... denial and resistance that there isn't a problem. The family that was overweight, I thought really had an open mind and they were eager for change. Those will be the people he can help. I hope he can change some attitudes and make people think a little.

Thanks for all your replies, really interesting topic isn't it? I really liked the show when it aired in England, and hope that they'll show the US version over here sometime soon.

I grew up in Sweden and we had free lunch every day at school, which I think is really good. The food wasn't amazing, there were some particularly nasty dishes being served sometimes, but in hindsight the food was actually quite good and nutritious. They never had anything deep-fried, when we got pizza it was considered a treat and we always had a salad bar to accompany the main meal. It's so important to eat right when you're a kid, and I think schools should definitely spend a considerable amount on lunches.

And I like your signature velochic, so true!

I haven't caught this show yet but really like the concept. As a society the US has a terrible diet! We rely far too much on "food" in boxes, cans, and drive throughs. A revolution is very much in order!

i do not like jamie oliver at all. not to sure why.

I don't know either, Babe, except at first, for me, his lisp bothered me. However, he is the real deal -- a real chef and teacher, who gives back to the community a lot (as opposed to Alton Brown, whom so many seem to "adore," who is in actuality an actor who adopted cooking for his schtick to get a tv show).

I don't know either, Babe, except at first, for me, his lisp bothered me. However, he is the real deal -- a real chef and teacher, who gives back to the community a lot (as opposed to Alton Brown, whom so many seem to "adore," who is in actuality an actor who adopted cooking for his schtick to get a tv show).

True, but his aim was to improve the quality of cooking shows. And he did attend the New England Culinary Institute.

True, but his aim was to improve the quality of cooking shows. And he did attend the New England Culinary Institute.

That was not his aim. His aim was to get a cooking show. He was an out of work actor. And it is a matter of opinion whether or not he "improved" the quality of any cooking shows, incuding his own..... :rolleyes:

I did see a trailer for the show, and --- well, his first focus is on Huntington, W. VA, a very blue collar town in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Mmmmm, how shall I say this? They are particularly touchy about their obesity problems. :rolleyes:

Ha! That's what they are calling it? It was built beside the Ohio river, there isn't anything remotely close to a mountain anywhere near Huntington. Blue collar would have been a better description decades ago, it's more of a college town than anything now.

Jamie's Food Revolution

I was surprised when the six-year-old students didn't recognize any vegetables. Their teacher then taught them to recognize veggies. Good for her. That's a start.

Those elementary school cafeteria ladies were sure set in their ways.

It's a real shame that our public schools don't provide nutritious meals for the students. Nutrition needs to be taught in class to all grade levels.

I was surprised when the six-year-old students didn't recognize any vegetables.

I was only half surprised that the children couldn't identify vegetables. I find that frequently the cashier at the grocery store has to ask me "What is this?" when she rings up my produce. If it's packaged and barcoded, they do fine, but if the veggies are loose, half of them get stuck!

I like Jamie, always have, but I saw him yesterday on Oprah and I wish he would clean up, for pete sake!! He's visually "dirty" to me and that's sure not appetizing for anyone. Uck......that hair!! :ohmy:
That said, I think he's right on the mark with this Food Revolution thing, and wish him, not to mention us, the best of luck.

I was only half surprised that the children couldn't identify vegetables. I find that frequently the cashier at the grocery store has to ask me "What is this?" when she rings up my produce. If it's packaged and barcoded, they do fine, but if the veggies are loose, half of them get stuck!
I love it when the checker asks what is this and what do ou do with it. Makes me want to say mop the floor:ROFLMAO: I don't but the urge is there. I just tell them how I plan to fix it and usually get wither a oh that sounds good or a blank stare...
kadesma

I like Jamie, always have, but I saw him yesterday on Oprah and I wish he would clean up, for pete sake!! He's visually "dirty" to me and that's sure not appetizing for anyone. Uck......that hair!! :ohmy:
That said, I think he's right on the mark with this Food Revolution thing, and wish him, not to mention us, the best of luck.

have always disliked him. now you have told me why. you are right. he is dirty and seems to be proud of it. if he wants his message to get out , he needs to be seen in a better light. first impressions do matter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom