Latest News: Don't Wash Chickens!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe if you aren't careful while rinsing. Think I'll stick to what has worked for me my whole cooking life.

The more stuff I read like this, it makes me wonder how I ever made it through my childhood, before the chicken police were commissioned.

I didn't read the article, but if you are going to rinse your chicken, I'd suggest putting water in the sink and rolling it around in that water to avoid splashing, followed by a good cleaning of the sink. I'm not sure what rinsing accomplishes though, if there is salmonella in the bird, running cold water over it isn't going to help.

I'm a bit cautious about raw chicken though, I don't often rinse, but I do usually open the chicken in the sink then give the sink a good cleaning when I'm done. I use a plastic cutting board that goes into the dishwasher.

I didn't read the article, but if you are going to rinse your chicken, I'd suggest putting water in the sink and rolling it around in that water to avoid splashing, followed by a good cleaning of the sink. I'm not sure what rinsing accomplishes though, if there is salmonella in the bird, running cold water over it isn't going to help.

I'm a bit cautious about raw chicken though, I don't often rinse, but I do usually open the chicken in the sink then give the sink a good cleaning when I'm done. I use a plastic cutting board that goes into the dishwasher.

It gets rid of the "slime" from being in the package.;) I also use the precaution of opening the package at the store. This prevents a return trip, which used to happen before I got smart. Have had several packages that reeked when opened at home. Just because the store is Publix, doesn't mean you can't get bad chicken.

Oh, the Daily Mail has just woken up to the bleedin' obvious has it? Not a quality newspaper our DM.

This "broke" in the UK a few months ago. However, I've never routinely washed chickens unless there is some further reason to. My grandmother told me not to because she said it "spreads germs" and stops the skin crisping up - and that was in the 1950s. If necessary I'll wipe it with a sheet of kitchen roll.

Unless you're going to attack it with a scrubbing brush and detergent I don't suppose a quick rinse under the tap will remove/kill the "bugs".

I used to share a flat with a very odd girl who had extreme OCD and washed all her meat in bleach. Needless to say we didn't share the cooking!

It gets rid of the "slime" from being in the package.;)

This is why I rinse my chicken. It also allows me to get rid of unwanted "things" that you sometimes find still attached.

And I'll continue to do so. :rolleyes: A good clean up around the sink and all surfaces that came in contact with the raw bird and I think I'll be safe.

I rinse the wrapper and tray the chicken was on. Does that count?

Why do I do that? Because Teddy like to get into the trash every so often and lick anything that has the smell of meat on it. :angel:

I am a self-admitted chicken washer. As Zagut said, it gets rid of unwanted "things." I also bleach the heck out of the sink and surrounding area afterwards.

I am a self-admitted chicken washer. As Zagut said, it gets rid of unwanted "things." I also bleach the heck out of the sink and surrounding area afterwards.

I have these hospital wipes that Winthrop gives me. Every so often everything gets a hit from them. Including my hands after handling meats. :angel:

It gets rid of the "slime" from being in the package.;) I also use the precaution of opening the package at the store. This prevents a return trip, which used to happen before I got smart. Have had several packages that reeked when opened at home. Just because the store is Publix, doesn't mean you can't get bad chicken.
I'm lucky in that my chickens don't come sealed in plastic bags. I get mine from the "proper" butcher who kills his own (and his beef, pork and lamb as well).

In the unlikely event that I ever bought a bird in a bag from a supermarket and it turned out to be slimy it would go straight back to the shop and if the store quibbled I'd take it to the Environmental Health Dept at the local council offices. (An uncle and 2 cousins were qualified butchers and another is a Local Authority Meat Inspector overseeing several licenced slaughter houses)

Last edited:

I might just be lucky, but I've never had that happen. No funky chicken for me. See now I may have jinxed myself, my next package will be bad!

Mercy! I rinse my chicken really well, rubbing the water all over it. But I clean the sink and surrounding areas with Clorox Clean-Up afterwards.

No one here has gotten sick or died yet from my chicken rinsing, but it's probably a good idea to clean up the area after rinsing it.

I did read the article, and maybe taking the chicken out to the backyard and rinsing it with the hose is an idea, if you're really worried about bugs.

I do use a plastic cutting board for cutting up chicken and everything else. I got rid of my wooden ones quite a while ago.

Like many of you, I rinse my store-bought chicken to remove the "whatever" is on it. I probably break 5000 rules when fixin' chicken. I also scrub the daylights out of the sink et al both before and after working with the chicken. I'll buy the boneless breasts when they're on sale, rinse and blot dry each one, and place them individually in zip sandwich bags. Then I put those bags into freezer bags, stick a note in with them with the date they were packed, and file away in the freezer for a quick supper later. I see no reason to pay premium price for what amounts to Perdue "Perfect Portions". Besides, in our house chicken breasts are the new "365 Ways to Fix Hamburger" meat! Knock on wood, we've never had issues with anything.

CWS, LOVE your "chicken joke". :LOL: I can imagine that line being delivered by Joanne Worley in her inimitable style!

Back
Top Bottom