Next Iron Chef...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrillingFool

Head Chef
The premiere was last night.

Poor chef who got GRASSHOPPERS as his Extreme Ingredient lost.

They had some interesting other choices... stinky tofu, unlaid hen eggs,
sea cucumber....

What I want to know is what will FN do with SIX Iron Chefs? I think it
is time they retired Bobby Flay as the Iron Chef of Chefs..

OR get rid of the two who get chosen the least.

I watched it also. The grasshoppers shouldn't have been that bad for Greenspan to deal with. Now, the durrian fruit, jelly fish or stinky tofu would have been horrible!

The premiere was last night.

Poor chef who got GRASSHOPPERS as his Extreme Ingredient lost.

They had some interesting other choices... stinky tofu, unlaid hen eggs,
sea cucumber....

What I want to know is what will FN do with SIX Iron Chefs? I think it
is time they retired Bobby Flay as the Iron Chef of Chefs..

OR get rid of the two who get chosen the least.

There will still only be FOUR Iron Chefs. They are down to three at the present: Morimoto, Flay and Symon.

I dunno. As best I can tell, Cat Cora and Mario Batali are still technically on the show.
The FN still lists them as Iron Chefs, and I can't find anything confirming the loss of two.
Got the scoop on it?

I think Cat Cora's off on maternity leave. Her baby was due this summer.

I think when Mario's show got dropped, he pulled way back on the iron Chef thing.

They're looking for new blood: Since FN is more and more entertainment and less and less cooking, they have to continually come up with new faces and new programs, just like network television.

Julia couldn't make it on today's FN.

I didn't watch; I didn't know that a new contest was underway. I think maybe Morimoto should be retired too (his agent and accountant, no doubt disagree). He's fulfilled his role as a bridge from the original program to the American version. And also deserves the title "Iron Chef of Chefs."

Durian fruit & stinky tofu?! Did I miss any scenes of celebrity chefs retching their lunch into their sauce pans?

Honestly, i thought they were kinda rough on the Grasshopper guy. At the end, their main complaint was that he used it as a condiment, but not as a main ingredient. And I understand their point. But when you saw the pile of grasshoppers that were given to him, they were small, and bits and pieces of them. Im not sure how he could have made it the Main ingredient. On the other hand, the one who got the eel, that was pretty straight foward to use as the main ingredient. So , i think the level of difficulty for each ingredient should have been considered more. But who am I. And honestly, as long as I am entertained, I really dont care :-p

I think Cat Cora's off on maternity leave. Her baby was due this summer.

I think when Mario's show got dropped, he pulled way back on the iron Chef thing.
neither's photo was on the wall on Sunday evening's show. Just saying....

looking for new blood: Since FN is more and more entertainment and less and less cooking, they have to continually come up with new faces and new programs, just like network television.

Julia couldn't make it on today's FN.
Julia was never on FN. She was always on PBS -- WGBH-Boston. And her shows are still going strong in rerun and on dvd.

As usual, we here in Canada are way behind on all of this stuff so I don't want to read too many spoilers, but IMHO Batali and Cora are the chefs I would prefer to see. I get tired of the other three with their same-old same-old. But that's just me.

I just read that Cat Cora is looking for other options - she really wants her own show, and is exploring PBS, Travel Channel, Discovery, etc.

That probably means she isn't coming back.

I just watched the Saturday night repeat of the show. I didn't recognize any of the competing chefs, or the names of their restaurants, so the show felt no different to me than "Top Chef."

I have this lingering image in my head...

Julia Childs, as a contestant, walks up to the judge's table with a whole chicken in her hand, and knocks out judge Steingarten's clock. Now, that would be great TV!

With Farmerie getting voted off last night....I don't see ANY of the remaining Chefs with the PERSONALITY for television!!! Last time, both Michael Symon (who I rooted for and love on ICA) and Besh had the personality for TV...NO ONE on this season does...maybe Garces. I think this season is RIGGED for Amanda Frietag to win because she is the ONLY Chef who ALREADY involved with FN...she's a judge (and not a very nice one) on CHOPPED. I hope she doesn't win, I can't stand her and she's SOOO mean to the contestants on Chopped, always gettin' on them about complaining about their lack of time to cook (20 min) when SHE has complained on NIC about HER lack of cooking time (60 & 90 min!). Also...I think Batali was OUT on Iron Chef....if you watched every week you'd see they had REMOVED Batali's image from the opening and just within the last few weeks have they PUT IT BACK. Watch the Iron Chef wall pictures in the background....Symon has always been next to Cora....in a few background scenes It's FLAY, MORIMOTO, CORA & SIMON with NO BATALI and then a few seconds later BATALI'S pic is back. I think FN caved to fans who love Batali...so yeah I think they kicked him off but realized fans were not going to stand for that!

Back
Top Bottom