PBS cooking shows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
Since I don't have food network , I am stuck with PBS cooking shows. I like Lidia. I also watch Mary Ann Esposito , America's Test Kitchen , sometimes Every day Cooking.

PBS' shows are actually much better, IMO. I love them all. Especially the old Julia Child ones. And Jacques!!

Lydia's Italy is absolutely one of the best. I very often end up making her recipes for Saturday dinner after watching.

To tell you the truth I don't think being 'stuck' with only the PBS cooking shows is all that bad. Made in Spain, Lidia, Caprial, Prime Grill, ATK, and Julia are some of the best shows on TV. For every good Foodnetwork show there are many that just fill air time. I find myself watching PBS, on the regular PBS channel as well as the CREATE channel, more and more. It is even the first place I look when watching tv. I like Bobby Flay, and now they have Daisy, who had the Daily Cooks show on PBS. Giada is getting kind of repetitive, Paula predictable and unimaginitive, Barefoot Contessa is the same show over and over again. I looked forward to Jamie at Home, but they are already running reruns for at least the third time.

PBS' shows are actually much better, IMO. I love them all. Especially the old Julia Child ones. And Jacques!!

Lydia's Italy is absolutely one of the best. I very often end up making her recipes for Saturday dinner after watching.

Im with you Jennema - PBS shows are way better than
Food Network. Pepin teaches knife skills, butchering skills,cooking skills
(like how to poach, how to make an omelet etc.)
Food Network shows are more about entertainment than
instruction.

Since I don't have food network , I am stuck with PBS cooking shows. I like Lidia. I also watch Mary Ann Esposito , America's Test Kitchen , sometimes Every day Cooking.

you also have Daisy Martinez, Rick Bayless, Ming Tsai, Martin Yan, and several others. Imho, all the PBS shows are head and shoulders above those on TVFN. You aren't missing anything.

My favorites are Lidia and Jacques Pepin.

I was completely hooked on PBS and then they changed the format here in California...I have to agree that the shows are far better on PBS..When I first happened on Lidia I loved her. You felt as if you were a valued friend in her kitchen and most of her recipes were spot on for us. I enjoyed Capril, Jacques, Julia, Madelyn Kahmen, even some of the other older ones..I watch Food network, but find I get bored after the 8th. re-run. But I suppose it's better than nothing when you're laid up;)

kadesma

I wish I could remember all of the excellent chefs/cooks I have seen on PBS that FoodTV could have had - but never did, and could never match! They could pick up options for reruns of old PBS shows - but they don't. They did pick up about a dozen of the old Galloping Gourmet episodes but dropped it because of a lack of viewer interest (of course they were airing it at about 4:00am!)

PBS gave us Julia Child - FoodTV gave us Guy's Big Bites.

The only thing FoodTV offers is some stuff 7-days a week for a fee, PBS offers quality cooking shows maybe one day a week for free.

Don't think you are missing anything watching the shows on PBS - you're getting the cream.

Last edited:
I find with the food network, I go through phases. Ill watch a show consistently for a few weeks, then get a little tired of the shtick, and look somewhere else. But, the PBS shows like jacques and lidia, I find myself consistently watching week after week, because I never get tired of their main focus, which is cooking ( and not entertainment like the food network)

sigh. local PBS doesn't carry many of the shows anymore that you guys are mentioning. Still get America's Test Kitchen and spinoff Country Cook, Jacques Fast Food, Lidia, and a few others. But I'm finding when I watch any of them, whether on FN or PBS, the repetition sets in after a while.

I love America's Test Kitchen but one of the best things about PBS is some of the local cooking shows like Ms. Lucy's Cajun Cooking.

While the lineup for cooking shows on PBS where I live is on Saturday - it appears that it is Sunday in New York City. Here is an article I found on Foodie NYC that you might enjoy, or at least find interesting, PBS Sundays: Better than Food Network

I have to agree - I don't even miss not having Food TV any more.

I have a question about a cooking show. The chef had done time in prison and had made a successful career in cooking after he got out. I saw a show in which he was teaching troubled kids to cook and to become a team in the kitchen. I've been asked who he is and where I saw this - Anyone have a clue for me? I would appreciate so I can pass it on to where it's needed. Thanks

I have a question about a cooking show. The chef had done time in prison and had made a successful career in cooking after he got out. I saw a show in which he was teaching troubled kids to cook and to become a team in the kitchen. I've been asked who he is and where I saw this - Anyone have a clue for me? I would appreciate so I can pass it on to where it's needed. Thanks

I can't think of his name right now, but I believe that show is/was on a major network, and not either pbs or tvfn.

Chef Jeff Project

The Chef Jeff Project : Food Network

I also love PBS cooking shows. Rick Bayless is amazing! Is Daisy cooks still on pbs? I havent seen it on here latley, but did noticce that she had a show on the foodnetwork a few weeks ago. I think there was only 3 epidodes maybe? I miss Mary Episito, I havent seen that on PBS in Texas, when I was in CNY she was on there. Where would I be with out the frugal gourmet...

ah yes, the Galloping Gourmet! I still have the wooden spoon/spatula thing that he used and one could order. I forget what he called it, but I love it! it is one of my favorite utensils! O.K., just googled it, it's a spurtle.

I watch Baking with Julia every chance I get. I never get tired of the reruns, either. I check out Createtv every day. I love the instruction I get from the chefs and cooks on PBS.

Back
Top Bottom