Rachael Ray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not so long ago I saw her on Iron Chef cooking with Mario Battali they were pitted against Giada and Bobby Flay,,They won and she said she was surprised and pleased because she was not a chef Mario said to her YES you are.

kadesma

I LOVED that episode (but I just love Mario Batali to bits!) and just thoroughly enjoyed the repartee that went on. Mario and Rachel seemed to be having fun even though they were working their butts off. Poor Giada got in such a dither when whatever it was didn't set up properly for her.

I think the reason Rachel Ray appeals to many folks is because she is accessible. She is like one of us. I watch folks like Mario Batali in awe because he is so amazing. Rachel Ray though, I could imagine the two of us slamming together a meal for our families and having a few giggles in the kitchen together.

I LOVED that episode (but I just love Mario Batali to bits!) and just thoroughly enjoyed the repartee that went on. Mario and Rachel seemed to be having fun even though they were working their butts off. Poor Giada got in such a dither when whatever it was didn't set up properly for her.

I think the reason Rachel Ray appeals to many folks is because she is accessible. She is like one of us. I watch folks like Mario Batali in awe because he is so amazing. Rachel Ray though, I could imagine the two of us slamming together a meal for our families and having a few giggles in the kitchen together.
That's how I feel as well. She just grew on me.;)
kadesma

I'm not proffesionally trained, but in my kitchen, in my house, or when I'm preparing the chili for my entry in our annual chili cookoff, I'm the chef, because chef means chief of the kitchen. She might not be the chef of a proffesional restaurant, but then, that takes training well beyond what most of us here do. You have to be able to purchase large amounts of food, assign duties to your working staff, manage the dishwashers, the sous chefs, the wait staff, order supplies, make sure that the food is kept wholesome, tasty, and that it looks right. I am a pretty good cook, and am chef of my home kitchen. It would take formal training, and probably a year or more of it to to make me a proffesional chef. Ive got the math and cooking skills, but probably not the organizational skills for the job. I wouldn't want to be a chef. That's not the part of cullinary arts I'm interested in. But it doesn't detract from what I can do in the kitchen. And so it is with Rachel Ray.

She's a sometimes too bubbly personality who has to force it a bit due to telivision's unique quirks. but I think she does a pretty good job at what she does. And I think her food looks very edible. She's probably a better cook than most of the "chef's" in my home town. The restaurant fare around here is deplorable, with a few notable exceptions. I'd eat the food she cooks, and have fun making it with her. That's my opinion. I'd love to do a throwdown against Bobby Flay as well, with a few helpers to assits in food prep. It would be great fun. I think I could teach him a few tricks. I know he could teach me a whole bunch of new tricks. Same with Rachel Ray.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Rachel Ray though, I could imagine the two of us slamming together a meal for our families and having a few giggles in the kitchen together.

Exactly why I like her. I feel like I could invite her to my kitchen for food and a chat and have a great time.

I like Rachel. But, her type of cooking is too quick for me. I preferred her show where she traveled and ate on a budget for the day. That- was fun. She doesn't bake and to me- how can you be a cook and not bake?

A while back, I had read that Rachel's Dad held a grudge against Mario. Since, Mario did not consider Racher a true cook. I suppose they are past that- since, they are both so famous. (I am amused by Bourdain's take on Rachel Ray.) He's a real card.

I view her as I do Martha Stewart - business women that are excellent at their craft. She is certainly a degree above Sandra Lee (who I think may just be the daughter of Lucifer), but I really find her personality grating and cooking less than inspiring. The cooks I watch don't need to be trained chefs, but everything about her cooking seems like a gimmick to me. From the over-bearing shadow of everything needing to be a "30 Minute Meal" (most of which aren't - unless you're a chef!) to the garbage bowl, slogans, and dialog that hops from supposed "green" ideas (as she opens bag-o-lettuce and styrofoam/plastic packaged meat) to butchered culturally important dishes with claims of near-authenticity. When she started her talk-show, I personally got a feeling of self-righteousness when listening to her interact with guests. Just personal opinion.

Anthony Bourdain at the Hominy Grill...
"I was looking at the totals - you know, $40 a day... and she was averaging... you know... and I'm doing the math... does this woman tip?

Waitress...
Ahhh... no comment. *rolling eyes*

Hahaha! :LOL:

I grew up in Asia but Im half American..ive noticed that American servings/portions are big compared to Asia and some areas of Europe...I think Rachel ray's food is meant to be shared or more focused on the family eating together,..does this make sense :)

I think you are right about this. I have heard people from other countries say things like "He's not just fat, he's American fat." I think part of that is the riduculous expectations people get from overly large portion sizes depicted on TV and in Ads. We just plain overeat.

She doesn't bake and to me - how can you be a cook and not bake?

Very easily. I love to cook. I make bread at least once a week. I make cookies for the holidays and every couple of months will make something sweet. "Baking" just doesn't do much for me. Besides that it's just not something that I need to eat. And I don't crave it when it's not here so I don't bother often. :pig:

I like Rachel. But, her type of cooking is too quick for me. I preferred her show where she traveled and ate on a budget for the day. That- was fun. She doesn't bake and to me- how can you be a cook and not bake?

Funny, but that's the show I hate. I live comfortably on less than $25 a day including everything (rent, utilities, as well as food, etc.), so a daytime show showing her spending $40 just on food is upsetting for me. Think about the audience in the daytime. The majority would be retired people like me or people who are job hunting (unemployed) or disabled on SSI.

I wish I had $40 a day. I'd be living large!

That said, I do like her show if she's making something I might like, but occasionally her voice irritates or it's early and too chatty and cheerful for me until I've had some coffee and something to eat. Closed Captioning solves that.:LOL:

I'm a good cook but I rarely bake. Some people bake and are poor cooks. You don't have to be both and many aren't.

Last edited:
I totally agree about Rachel Rays slogans and gimmics. I dont have anything against her not being a trained chef. But, the ingredients are not far from Sandra Lee's. (I share your opinion of her..yuk!) She made millions of dollars on creating a fabric window vallance that snaps in) and, wala-she has a cooking show. Martha Stewart is entertaining in her own way. Of course, the business sense of a Trump. Have to give that to her.
Rachel Ray never tipped much on that show. I enjoyed seeing restaurants I had eaten at, when she did that but she's very one-dimensional and yes her talk show- please.....

I know that we all don't bake on a regular basis. (I do) But, Rachel Ray stated from the beginning, "I don't bake." Thats very one-dimensional to me. No cookies, no muffins, etc. She has said she just "isn't good at it." But, she's not specialized enough for me in her overall cooking themes and recipes. She's airbrushed on the side of Ritz cracker box, making her look quite a bit thinner. That type of thing takes away from everything for me. Be natural, be yourself.

I agree that eating on $40.00 may be extravagent but I enjoyed the travel portion of the show. I do love to cook and bake and give it away to people who can't or do not have the means. Thats the part I enjoy.

I totally agree about Rachel Rays slogans and gimmics. I dont have anything against her not being a trained chef. But, the ingredients are not far from Sandra Lee's. (I share your opinion of her..yuk!) She made millions of dollars on creating a fabric window vallance that snaps in) and, wala-she has a cooking show. Martha Stewart is entertaining in her own way. Of course, the business sense of a Trump. Have to give that to her.
Rachel Ray never tipped much on that show. I enjoyed seeing restaurants I had eaten at, when she did that but she's very one-dimensional and yes her talk show- please.....

I agree: EVOO and stoup?:dizzy: Stoup sounds too much like poop and isn't an appetizing word. I won't use it, EVER.

E-V-O-O would be so much better pronounced e-voo:LOL: or just call it olive oil. It got added to the dictionary though, so she's getting carried away.

Last edited:
I, myself would not offer my family or my guests anything called "stoup." I just don't watch her anymore unless I am totally bored. She hyped her dogfood up alot and a few years ago I tried it. Wasn't as "all natural" as it was supposed to be. Made my dog sick too.

I also think that whether a dish is soup or stew is not so much the amount of liquid, but the size of the ingredients. Meat and vegetables in larger chunks are stew, smaller size is soup.IMO

I, myself would not offer my family or my guests anything called "stoup." I just don't watch her anymore unless I am totally bored. She hyped her dogfood up alot and a few years ago I tried it. Wasn't as "all natural" as it was supposed to be. Made my dog sick too.
Ah--you've answered the question: who tastes the dog food and determines that it tastes good! ;)

ha ha. good one. I look at it. Smell it. My dog hesitated when she ate it and threw up. She was the taster.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom