Test Tube Hamburger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoot

Executive Chef
Moderator Emeritus
Test Tube Meat

Here is a link to a story about a taste test done in London using hamburger meat grown in a test tube.
I ain't too squeamish about the stuff I eat but this kinda put me off.
Somehow, I am reminded of Soylent Green.
Test Tube Burger Eaten in London

Your thoughts?

Lately I can't get enough of my truffle salt. I've made a simple pasta + butter + truffle salt lunch for about a week straight now.

What else do you recommend putting truffle salt on?

Edit: not so sure this fits here... It's close at least

It's (not) alive! Lab-grown meat is here–but will vegetarians eat it?

Someday it will cost a buck a burger....

Last edited by a moderator:
The science is interesting but I'm not interested in it as a food source. Maybe if they grow some beef fat in another lab and mix some into the meat...

But what would we do with all the cows? :huh:
:LOL:
Interesting, but I'd be more interested in a substitute that tasted like beef rather than something trying to replicate it. Like those blue and red geometric shapes they used to eat on Star Trek. :wacko:

I would try it. I assume they will get better at growing it. Once they get it right (with fat) and there isn't residue of yucky chemicals in it, I would use it. It would be great for those vegetarians who don't eat meat for ethical reasons.

I'd give it a try. We eat science experiments all the time, this is just one that is new. Who thought sticking cheese in a cave until it molded would be a good idea?

I just watched a report on the Today Show about it. My first reaction was "no way, no how" would I eat it. On the other hand, someday it may be the norm and everyone will be saying "remember when we used to kill and eat animals?" I've always been morally against eating animals, but not to the extent of giving up meat from my diet. I'm now nearing the end of my life expectancy so I'll never see this in the grocery store but it certainly could be the way of the future. Then again, I expected to have a flying car by now as promised by the Jetsons.

Apparently this is causing a schism in PETA. Some folks are say, heck yeah, we've been waiting for this and others are saying, it's meat - it's bad.

Those PETA people are psycho/schizo... There's no pleasing them. If they had their way we would be back to a hunting and gathering society minus the hunting. Eat vegetables, pull up roots..., eat nuts, chew on pine needles. (I've heard of pine needle tea...)

IMO when you look at the science, artificially grown animal protein as a source of food is inevitable. Factory production of meat as a commercial advantage of scale over ranching real beef (or other animals). There are no seasons, no variations of feed quality.

Producing beef (or any other animal tissue) could become no more complicated than cracking crude oil to produce gasoline and the other derivatives of crude oil.

Who knows? Maybe you can crack crude oil into prime beef, with a bit of stem cell lab processing...

$325K to develop isn't bad at all. Give some to America's test kitchen and see what they come up with.

I like the idea. I just hope they can come up with a palatable alternative.

Is this a different burger from the thread started earlier today?
Where's a mod when you need one? I'm sure they wouldn't let a duplicate thread go on.

What else do you recommend putting truffle salt on?

Test tube GMO beef???

When I think of PETA and their opposition to consuming animal protein I think of the other faction that objects to GMO (genetically modified) food, the so called "Frankenfood."

I think this product will face a huge public relations problem.

Test tube GMO beef???

When I think of PETA and their opposition to consuming animal protein I think of the other faction that objects to GMO (genetically modified) food, the so called "Frankenfood."

I think this product will face a huge public relations problem.
This isn't technically GMO.

Well I don't know. The whole thing makes me feel a bit queasy really.

We are told that the world, at some stage, won't be able to farm enough animals to feed the human population.

I don't eat many burgers or a lot of meat in the first place, so I think I will stick to eating the real thing - in moderation. Quality not quantity.

I'm a science fiction plan, and it's a common theme to have vat grown meats.

It's always been a logical move to me.

Back
Top Bottom