"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #61
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,716
I love sweet potatoes plain, I love them with butter, I love them with butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon, and I love them topped with crusty browned marshmallows.

Are the marshmallow covered sweet potatoes very sweet? Yes. Is it a dish I would want to eat more than a couple times a year? Not really, but I do enjoy them on the holidays.
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I love sweet potatoes plain, I love them with butter, I love them with butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon, and I love them topped with crusty browned marshmallows.

Are the marshmallow covered sweet potatoes very sweet? Yes. Is it a dish I would want to eat more than a couple times a year? Not really, but I do enjoy them on the holidays.
Because I am a dietbetic, I am ever mindful of foods high in natural sugar. And sweet potatoes are one of those foods. The only time I will eat marshnallow is at Easter when the Peeps come out. I buy a box of eight, eat them all at once and get the sugar needs out of my system for the year. I love those Peeps! Now they come out at Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Are those folks trying to kill me?
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #63
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Because I am a dietbetic, I am ever mindful of foods high in natural sugar. And sweet potatoes are one of those foods. The only time I will eat marshnallow is at Easter when the Peeps come out. I buy a box of eight, eat them all at once and get the sugar needs out of my system for the year. I love those Peeps! Now they come out at Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Are those folks trying to kill me?
I'm diabetic too, and I don't eat things like this very often. Fortunately my diabetes is well controlled through Metformin and diet, but I don't want to take anything for granted and I try not to go overboard very often.
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Ky,
That are people who absolutely love sweet potatoes prepared this way!
I wonder if they were brought up eating it?
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #65
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
I wonder if they were brought up eating it?
Most likely. If you gave them just a baked sweet potato, they probaably wouldn't like it. They would want that extra sweetness that the marshmallows and brown sugar give the dish.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #66
Executive Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,860
There are lots of dishes in many cultures which would be undesirable if eaten on a regular basis, but are family or cultural traditions for certain celebrations. Saying that something is a dish fit only for pigs is demeaning, regardless if it isn't aimed at anyone in particular. There is nothing wrong with you not liking something for whatever reason (and I understand the diabetes issue - my wife is type 2), but to lambaste something like that is disservice to those looking for assistance or simple opinions rather than judgments.

By the way, I don't like those sugary sweet marshmallow yams either. We had sweet potatoes for our Thanksgiving dinner, cubed and roasted with butter and just a touch of maple syrup. Sweet potatoes or yams are one of the easiest things to grow here, so they are always available, and we have them often, usually just baked.

Back on topic, I was never a Twinkie fan, but I did like the plain old creme filled Hostess Cupcakes, and I loved Suzy-Q's. Haven't had anything of theirs for years now, and don't really miss it. Such things are hard to come by here in the Out Islands. Our sweets are mostly home made.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
There is a reason a Twinkie was chosen for a time capsule. I am a label reader. I am sure when that time capsule is opened, it will still be edible.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #68
Executive Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
There is a reason a Twinkie was chosen for a time capsule.
Because the organizers had poor judgment?

I must have had a deprived childhood, because I don't think I ever had a Twinkie until I was at least out of high school. Mom was a chocoholic, so on the very rare occasion that we had sweets which weren't homemade, they usually had some sort of chocolate in them. Mom always said that it was silly to waste calories on sweets which didn't contain chocolate, usually chocolate on chocolate. My brother and sister got that gene from her, but it seems to have skipped me, as I like a more diverse range of desserts when I'm in a sweet mood.

That said, Twinkies aren't on that list, but I did make some yummy oatmeal raisin cookies after posting in this thread last night.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Because the organizers had poor judgment?

I must have had a deprived childhood, because I don't think I ever had a Twinkie until I was at least out of high school. Mom was a chocoholic, so on the very rare occasion that we had sweets which weren't homemade, they usually had some sort of chocolate in them. Mom always said that it was silly to waste calories on sweets which didn't contain chocolate, usually chocolate on chocolate. My brother and sister got that gene from her, but it seems to have skipped me, as I like a more diverse range of desserts when I'm in a sweet mood.

That said, Twinkies aren't on that list, but I did make some yummy oatmeal raisin cookies after posting in this thread last night.
Those are my daughter's favorite cookie. Anything with raisins, she will gobble right up. I drizzle some glaze over them. Sometimes I will put a drop of orange or lemon extract in the glaze.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #70
Assistant Cook
 
Slitke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Hartford, CT
Posts: 29
On the topic of sweet potatoes, I made mine mashed with butter, maple syrup, fresh nutmeg and BACON this year. That was pretty yummy.

Twinkies, ick. Ring dings and cupcakes were decent, but I haven't had one in years and if memory serves the last one I had was gross. Wouldn't touch them nowadays. And as I much as I'd be happy to see them go from a health perspective, I would imagine someone will make them again. I can only hope for a healthier version.

Oh and if anyone wants it, I posted a homemade recipe not too long ago on my FB page. Happy to share.
Slitke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #71
Executive Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitke View Post
And as I much as I'd be happy to see them go from a health perspective, I would imagine someone will make them again. I can only hope for a healthier version.
.
Not sure just how you make a healthy creme filled cake. Sort of an oxymoron. The need is for moderation when you choose to eat less healthy items, not making everything in the world a health food. It comes down to personal responsibility, not legislated health.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #72
Sous Chef
 
Cindercat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: DeSoto, MO USA
Posts: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
So, some people must have acquired a taste for it
I like sweet potatoes this way occasionally. Last week my class made sweet potato casserole with mashed sweet potatoes, a little brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg & pineapple spread in a 9x13 pan, sprinkled with mini-marshmallows and baked for 25 min. It's a little sweet but it took the place of pumpkin pie with whipped cream in our dinner. Some people make sweet potato pie, similar to pumpkin pie. I like sweet potato just about any way you can make them, but usually just baked with butter on top. The marshmallow version is only once or twice a year just like our Waldorf Salad (apples, celery, nuts, marshmallows, mayo) is usually just for holidays in my family. My sister is diabetic so she just factors what she eats into her daily food & medicine plan and doesn't over eat on the sugary stuff even though she likes to make sugary foods.
Cindercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 24,441
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Things that make you say yuck! And I thought sweet potatoes covered with marshmallows was gross.
+1
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #74
Assistant Cook
 
Slitke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Hartford, CT
Posts: 29
Geez. I said healthier not healthy. It's still a treat to be enjoyed in moderation. Flour, sugar, marscapone...Personally I wouldn't eat a store bought Twinkie because of the crap in it, not even in moderation.

And you'll get no policing from me, eat what you like. I simply offered up the recipe for anyone that was interested.
Slitke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Not sure just how you make a healthy creme filled cake. Sort of an oxymoron. The need is for moderation when you choose to eat less healthy items, not making everything in the world a health food. It comes down to personal responsibility, not legislated health.
I am tired of folks tryinig to tell me how to eat healthy. I am an adult and it is my choice for what I choose to eat. I don't need any laws telling me what to eat. I always knew that McDonald's and Burger King were not healthy foods. That is why I never developed a habit of being a regular customer of theirs. If they were lucky, they saw my face maybe twice a year. And any time to this day, if I buy a soda, it is always a small one. With lots of ice. I like sucking on the cubes.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #76
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitke View Post
On the topic of sweet potatoes, I made mine mashed with butter, maple syrup, fresh nutmeg and BACON this year. That was pretty yummy.

Twinkies, ick. Ring dings and cupcakes were decent, but I haven't had one in years and if memory serves the last one I had was gross. Wouldn't touch them nowadays. And as I much as I'd be happy to see them go from a health perspective, I would imagine someone will make them again. I can only hope for a healthier version.

Oh and if anyone wants it, I posted a homemade recipe not too long ago on my FB page. Happy to share.
Why not post it here so those of us who do not use Facebook can try it, too?
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:04 PM   #77
Assistant Cook
 
Slitke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Hartford, CT
Posts: 29
I thought you'd never ask. :)

Found this when some of my friends were lamenting about the passing of the twinkster.

http://grist.org/article/2010-03-22-...uff-your-face/
Slitke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #78
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,345
This pretty much says it all. Sad, but true.

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #79
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,428
yes, on both counts. :(

i wonder, is this supreme indifference fear based....
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #80
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 24,441
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Vit and Steve, we seem to be on the same page.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.