Twinkies (demise) Reborn!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Barbara L said:
From everything I have read, Hostess filed bankruptcy for the second time, but they have enough stock to last awhile. I read this evening that a few companies will likely be buying them out and that the Twinkie will be around for a long time. Does anyone remember the original flavor of Twinkies? If you said "Banana" you were right. :cool:

It sounds to me like they were selling the rights (and the recipes) to the goodies, but not the business. Maybe Little Debbie's will be making ho ho's or zingers or twinkles now???

No love loss here! Every one of those products is unhealthy and of poor quality. I understand the nostalgia aspect but I bet they contributed to many a peoples diabetes and obesity.

I prefer my diabetes and obesity to come from higher quality products thank you very much! LOL

i've forgotten the particulars in the murder case involving twinkies years ago. did the twinkie defense prevail? i don't think it would fly today, though there are more than enough sugar laden cakes out there for ambitious defense lawyers to use....

when it's after three o'clock in the morning, and sleep still won't come, i sometimes go to cnn news to catch up with current events. here's what i found instead: a thanksgiving turkey named turtwinkie. turtwinkies are called that because they are stuffed with twinkiie cakes! they are being served in one new york restaurant, and people pay good money for a turkey caramelized with the sugary cream filling of a twinkie cake. the stuffing of the bird incorporates the cake-like parts of the twinkies.

the recipe for the twinkie turkey apparently originated with a mother whose son didn't like turkey, but did very much like to eat plenty of twinkies. thus, the twinkie turkey was born, and mother and son introduced a new thanksgiving tradition for their family to carry forward....

From everything I have read, Hostess filed bankruptcy for the second time, but they have enough stock to last awhile. I read this evening that a few companies will likely be buying them out and that the Twinkie will be around for a long time. Does anyone remember the original flavor of Twinkies? If you said "Banana" you were right. :cool:

World War II came along and made it very difficult if not impossible to get bananas. So they had to change to the cream filling. :angel:

i've forgotten the particulars in the murder case involving twinkies years ago. did the twinkie defense prevail? i don't think it would fly today, though there are more than enough sugar laden cakes out there for ambitious defense lawyers to use....

Yes, he was found "Not Guilty." Have you ever seen the movie "Milk?" It is all about that little piece of history. Milk was the name of the very popular gay elected city official that he murdered. He was the very first elected official to come out of the closet during the campaign. And since it took place in SF, he got elected. Sean Penn won an Oscar for Best Actor. :angel:

vitauta said:
when it's after three o'clock in the morning, and sleep still won't come, i sometimes go to cnn news to catch up with current events. here's what i found instead: a thanksgiving turkey named turtwinkie. turtwinkies are called that because they are stuffed with twinkiie cakes! they are being served in one new york restaurant, and people pay good money for a turkey caramelized with the sugary cream filling of a twinkie cake. the stuffing of the bird incorporates the cake-like parts of the twinkies.

the recipe for the twinkie turkey apparently originated with a mother whose son didn't like turkey, but did very much like to eat plenty of twinkies. thus, the twinkie turkey was born, and mother and son introduced a new thanksgiving tradition for their family to carry forward....

Things that make you say yuck! And I thought sweet potatoes covered with marshmallows was gross.

Ewww I dont like the sound of sweet potatoes and marshmallows either :ermm:

Trust me Kylie, you don't even want it to enter your home. It is so gross. Scoop out the potatoes and place it in a baking dish. Then sprinkle with brown sugar, and top with minature marshmallows. Place in oven and bake until marshmallows melt and start to turn brown on the top. Call your dentist before you bake it. It is SO SWEET it makes your teeth hurt just to think of it. Gross looking and groos tasting.Food for the :pig:'s :angel:

It does sound really bad...I cant even imagine someone thinking of putting those 2 things together :LOL:

Who's idea was this??? :LOL:

Gross looking and groos tasting.Food for the :pig:'s :angel:
I think you take things a little too far. Food for the pigs? Not a very nice thing to say.

I know a lot of people who make this dish. My own mother used to make it. For a lot of people it's a tradition. I personally don't care for it either and I might call their efforts "misguided", but I wouldn't call someone a pig because they enjoy it.

I think you take things a little too far. Food for the pigs? Not a very nice thing to say.

I know a lot of people who make this dish. My own mother used to make it. For a lot of people it's a tradition. I personally don't care for it either and I might call their efforts "misguided", but I wouldn't call someone a pig because they enjoy it.

Steve. I wasn't called people pigs, I was saying that it should be fed to pigs. As down on the farm.

I love sweet potatoes. But to add all that extra sweetness ruins a perfectly great veggie. I would never call some one's mother a pig. I realize as I stated it is a tradition. A lot of folks just can't imagine not having this dish without the marshmallows. Their holiday dinner would be ruined if this casserole was missing from the dinner table. For a lot of folks, this casserole is the only way they know how to cook sweet potatoes. Just give me a plain baked one and I will add the butter and salt. No pepper please. Although I do miss being able to use it. :angel:

My mother always made that at the holidays. I never liked it. I felt like I was about to gag.

My 2 sister loved it and still do to this day even though they have both suffered burns from those hot marshmallows.

In my opinion the best thing you can do with yams or sweet potatoes is enjoy their true flavors not all covered in sugar. When you do that you can't taste anything but the sugar.

If I wanted melted and toasted marshmallows I would add graham crackers and chocolate .. not sweet potato or yam !

Bake them like a potato. If you want put some butter and salt and pepper on them when they are done.

They also make great fries but baked is my favorite.

My mother always made that at the holidays. I never liked it. I felt like I was about to gag.

My 2 sister loved it and still do to this day even though they have both suffered burns from those hot marshmallows.

In my opinion the best thing you can do with yams or sweet potatoes is enjoy their true flavors not all covered in sugar. When you do that you can't taste anything but the sugar.

If I wanted melted and toasted marshmallows I would add graham crackers and chocolate .. not sweet potato or yam !

Bake them like a potato. If you want put some butter and salt and pepper on them when they are done.

They also make great fries but baked is my favorite.

Even on holidays, I just washed and baked them. Put them on a serving platter with a Granny fork so you could just stab one and put it on your plate. Sweet potatoes should be made with the KISS theory. Keep It Simple Stupid. :angel:

The sweet potato and marshmallow thing was served at the Thanksgiving feast I was at yesterday, and it got eaten up. I just wasn't one of the people eating it. I ate my broccoli dish instead! Yum!

Kylie1969 said:
So, some people must have acquired a taste for it :LOL:

Ky,
That are people who absolutely love sweet potatoes prepared this way!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom