Warning about chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You are a better person than me.....
I was inexperienced then. I didn't know how gross canned chickens were. I only thought, "I can take this into the back country and make a chicken dinner."

I knew it wouldn't be as good as fresh chicken. I didn't know it would gag maggots. I'll happily take canned chunk chicken or canned tuna next time.

I hope to explore one day: camping recipes made wholly from non-perishable ingredients. For people who want to 4x4 into the back country and stay longer than ice lasts.

You know, I've been trying to remember. I know when I was a child, my mother always had a canned chicken in the pantry. I remember it distinctly in the way that children are sometime struck by something they see as odd. I was sort of fascinated by the notion that you could open a can and there was a whole chicken - ta-da!. But I cannot for anything remember her ever actually opening that can and making something with the chicken. Maybe it was one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time to have something to fall back on in a pinch, but the pinch never got that bad.

But I must say, I'm disappointed in The Lobster's apparent shrinking from using the actual out-of-the-can photo of that same canned chicken. It's ..... ummm... educational.

Canned-chicken-005.jpg

To be fair, I guess we have to acknowledge that they probably did about as good a job canning that chicken as anyone could. There's just no way a whole canned chicken's going to look like anything other than a week-old drowning victim. But considering that the photo on the can can't possibly represent something they did with one of their decanned chickens, it can only be the chicken before they stuffed it in the can. So that was a damn shame to do that to what appears to have started as a pretty good roast chicken.

To be fair, I guess we have to acknowledge that they probably did about as good a job canning that chicken as anyone could.
Easy for you to say when you're not at the bitter end of a 4 hour 4x4 trail and nothing else to eat. I had my dog with me. It's one of the few times I've envied his dinner! In fact since then I've tasted a few varieties of canned dog food (before feeding it to my precious) and it's not bad at all. Easily better than that damned canned chicken! It was nasty! :)

I don't normally feed canned dog food. But yesterday, they had a coupon. For buying a bag of one of the better dry foods, you got two cans of their can food free. I got one lamb and one chicken. Had to choose in each case between white and brown rice. When the time comes, I'll have to see how they taste. More interesting, we'll see how he thinks they taste.

This is the snooty dog who won't touch his dry food until it's been "enhanced" with a good grated cheese (grana padano or pecorino romano) or with bacon drippings. And if you don't stir it in real well, he'll manage to eat around the untreated parts.

Attachments

• doc.jpg
    doc.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 155
I don't normally feed canned dog food. But yesterday, they had a coupon. For buying a bag of one of the better dry foods, you got two cans of their can food free. I got one lamb and one chicken. Had to choose in each case between white and brown rice. When the time comes, I'll have to see how they taste. More interesting, we'll see how he thinks they taste.

This is the snooty dog who won't touch his dry food until it's been "enhanced" with a good grated cheese (grana padano or pecorino romano) or with bacon drippings. And if you don't stir it in real well, he'll manage to eat around the untreated parts.

I have a cat like that!

Attachments

• Lately 018.JPG
    Lately 018.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 155
GLC & PF: Such good looking furry friends.

My cat is weird. He only wants cat food. He adores "tuna water" and will eat tuna, but that's it for big ape food.

They use to treat meats with carbon monoxide to look fresh longer,wouldn't surprise me.

Arsenic is a poison. Carbon monoxide isn't, not any more than the dreaded DMHO (di-hydrogen monoxide, aka "water"). It won't poison you if CO2 gets on your meat. It never harmed anybody except by deluding them by making the meat appear more attractive than it was. And in any case it is no longer permitted.

Of course what an animal eats is passed along to those who later eat the animal. That doesn't take any kind of degree what-so-ever to figure out.

That doesn't mean that whatever the animal ate has effects in those who later eat the animal. Bovine growth hormone is inactivated in humans by digestion; it has no effect on people. In fact, the government did experiments many years ago trying to determine whether BGH could be used to treat dwarfism in humans; it didn't work.

From bST and Milk (North Carolina State University):

Early clinical researchers studying bST (bovine somatotropin) were hopeful of its usefulness in treating human dwarfism. However, though the protein could be safely injected into humans, it was not biologically active. Growth hormones are species-specific. Since it is a protein hormone, it is digested by humans into peptides and amino acids like any other protein. In fact, when presented to a cow orally, bST is not active. The cow's digestive system simply recognizes it as dietary protein.

I've also read that, since this hormone is made naturally by cows anyway, there's no way to tell from their milk or meat what is natural and what was added.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom