"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #181
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 258
Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
I am a big fan of Iron Chef Japan not our version, but for an individual TV Chef I think it would need to be Alton Brown. He is a Culinary school graduate and so for the most part he isn't just winging it. I think his shows are very informative for foodies of all varieties.
__________________
Mark Webster is offline  
Old 07-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #182
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 258
Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
John Besh is great. I worked a James Beard event where he was one of the visiting Chefs.
__________________
Mark Webster is offline  
Old 07-22-2009, 11:49 AM   #183
Senior Cook
 
freefallin1309's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Central Fl.
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Webster View Post
I am a big fan of Iron Chef Japan not our version, but for an individual TV Chef I think it would need to be Alton Brown. He is a Culinary school graduate and so for the most part he isn't just winging it. I think his shows are very informative for foodies of all varieties.

He is a graduate, but he has little to no experience outside of TV kitchens. He only went to Culinary school because he needed to to get on TV :) I like him on Iron Chef America, but only his commentary. His own show, Good Eats, grates on my nerves much in the same way as the Asian host on Iron Chef America ... and for the same reason, the overkill drama. Alton's personality rubs me wrong on Good Eats, it's too childish to me, informative yes, but it seems more like a kids cooking show.
__________________
"A man has to believe in something ... I believe I'll have another drink."
freefallin1309 is offline  
Old 07-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #184
Senior Cook
 
TheMetalChef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallin1309 View Post
He is a graduate, but he has little to no experience outside of TV kitchens. He only went to Culinary school because he needed to to get on TV :) I like him on Iron Chef America, but only his commentary. His own show, Good Eats, grates on my nerves much in the same way as the Asian host on Iron Chef America ... and for the same reason, the overkill drama. Alton's personality rubs me wrong on Good Eats, it's too childish to me, informative yes, but it seems more like a kids cooking show.
There's a fair bit of silliness for sure, but to me it comes of more like a nerdy cooking show than a kid's cooking show.

He's got that "Trekkie" feel to him, and there's a certain charm to it.

But you're right about his expertise level - he's a failed actor, that's why he delivers so well, but he's not a chef. His crew feeds him everything, and if you watch the show carefully, you'll notice

1) He does a lot of voiceover
2) He does very little of the actual cooking
__________________
We've moved the show to DailyMotion.com!

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline  
Old 08-09-2009, 12:25 PM   #185
Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 75
Send a message via ICQ to chiffonade Send a message via AIM to chiffonade Send a message via Yahoo to chiffonade
Anne Burrell is a professional chef and as a culinary talent absolutely cannot be ignored. She's a steamroller in the kitchen, unafraid to handle just about anything and is obviously great under pressure. She's kind of fun to watch and maybe even a little intimidating - but entirely worthwhile.

Ina Garten is a fantastic cook and though she uses some expensive ingredients, her techniques are entirely approachable.

Giada knows Italian food and is worth watching if that variety of food interests you.

Daisy Martinez is incredible in the Puerto Rican kitchen - her food is authentic and aside from a few specialized ingredients, it's totally do-able in a home kitchen. Daisy is the newest REAL chef to grace TVFN and I'm glad to see them get someone to demo food who has some real cooking chops. Daisy and Anne B. are a breath of fresh air in a schedule full of fluff and talking heads.
chiffonade is offline  
Old 08-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #186
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kitchenelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,725
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiffonade View Post
Anne Burrell is a professional chef and as a culinary talent absolutely cannot be ignored. She's a steamroller in the kitchen, unafraid to handle just about anything and is obviously great under pressure. She's kind of fun to watch and maybe even a little intimidating - but entirely worthwhile.
LOVE her! Love her show.
__________________
kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline  
Old 08-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #187
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,297
Yes, I agree! Anne seems to be the real deal.
__________________

Wyogal is offline  
Old 08-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #188
Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 75
Send a message via ICQ to chiffonade Send a message via AIM to chiffonade Send a message via Yahoo to chiffonade
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
LOVE her! Love her show.
When she first came to TVFN, she was a real double barrel shotgun but you could see through the larger-than-life personality to the real cooking chops! Since first hitting the airwaves in 2008, you can see how she's matured in front of the camera. Less "growling," less references to "earl," and (thank God...LOL) less waving about of the chef's knife. She needed some time to get used to the camera and now she's incredible. Watch one of the 2008 shows vs. a more recent one and you'll see the difference. Yay Anne!!
chiffonade is offline  
Old 08-14-2009, 10:28 AM   #189
Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 56
If we're talking about any chef, not limited to food network....Gordon Ramsay, hands down. The man is a genius in the kitchen, as is showcased by his BBC shows The F Word and Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares. Unfortunately in his stateside endeavors, he comes off as a pompus lout that turns too many viewers away from him. As much as I do like Hells Kitchen, I think the drama outweighs the fun of watching the chefs cook and compete, especially in seasons 6 where it seems they are purposely trying to go over the top.

Now for food network shows:

I used to like Emeril a lot more than I do now. Too many seasons of Emeril live and his camera theatrics. I am happy to say his show on Green TV, called Emeril Green, is completely refreshing. He's down to earth, and takes the time to go one on one with a guest he helps answer specific cooking challenges for.

I just watched the Chefography episodes on food TV for Giada and Ina Garten. Both were very interesting, and I learned more about each than I did before. Remember the first season of Giada's everyday italian? she barely smiled and looked like she was about to cry she was so shy. Its a big difference from today.

I have to say I like Robert Irvine for his creative solutions on Dinner Impossible, and Bobby Flay in all of his shows is always great.

Now for my favorite? Hands down, ALTON BROWN. Good eats is a fantastic show, and Alton's blend of science and cooking/baking really informs on how the process works. I wouldn't exactly call him the best chef on the network, but he is definately the best showman and food authority.
Antiguadreams is offline  
Old 08-14-2009, 12:47 PM   #190
Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 75
Send a message via ICQ to chiffonade Send a message via AIM to chiffonade Send a message via Yahoo to chiffonade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiguadreams View Post
If we're talking about any chef, not limited to food network....Gordon Ramsay, hands down.
Ramsey lost me forever when I watched him spit into a pan of food. People went all crazy when Bobby Flay jumped on a cutting board but find it entertaining when a (supposed) chef spits into a pan of potatoes? I got nauseous and swore that show off forever. Actually, when I realized that Hell's Kitchen was going to be focused on watching Ramsey wax apoplectic vs. the actual cooking, I bailed after the first season. I happened to catch the spitting incident when BF paused whilie channel surfing.

It's a shame because I so enjoyed some of the BBC shows. He did rail on employees when he found funky stuff living in refrigerators but the swearing and temper tantrums weren't so over the top as to make him a caricature of himself.
chiffonade is offline  
Old 08-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #191
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 258
Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
I guess like everything else it truly is a matter of opinion. As a professional chef for over 30 years I review most of the so called star Chefs in a different light. Some would have serious problems working in a large kitchen, but I know that not all Chefs work in that type of environment. Also many of the dishes that they make are knockoffs or revisions of old recipes, again nothing wrong with that, but please don't make it appear like you originated a dish or procedure. Give credit where credit is rightfully due. An example I love to use is Rachel Ray. She admits to not being a Chef, but on line she is shown to be the highest paid Chef. Don't get me started about calling Extra Virgin Olive oil "EVO". I work for a Chef in New Zealand in 1979 and he called it EVO, but then again nearly every items in a professional kitchen has a slang name attached to it. Do you know what a Buffalo Choppper is? Or a Spider in the kitchen?
__________________
Mark Webster is offline  
Old 08-14-2009, 04:56 PM   #192
Senior Cook
 
freefallin1309's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Central Fl.
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiffonade View Post
Ramsey lost me forever when I watched him spit into a pan of food.

Did anyone eat the potatoes? Or was it his way of saying "F you" with less words and the potatoes went into the trash? Its one thing to not like that act if someone ate it, its another if they threw it out because it was only worth spit.
__________________
"A man has to believe in something ... I believe I'll have another drink."
freefallin1309 is offline  
Old 08-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #193
Sous Chef
 
chefkathleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Florida!
Posts: 694
Quote:
An example I love to use is Rachel Ray. She admits to not being a Chef, but on line she is shown to be the highest paid Chef
And you know that's the only thing I like about her. LOL. That she admits it, I mean and not the money thing. There's a lot of them on the air that should admit up front that they are by no means a chef.
chefkathleen is offline  
Old 08-14-2009, 05:25 PM   #194
Senior Cook
 
freefallin1309's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Central Fl.
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefkathleen View Post
And you know that's the only thing I like about her. LOL. That she admits it, I mean and not the money thing. There's a lot of them on the air that should admit up front that they are by no means a chef.

She wouldn't be making the money she's making if it weren't for Oprah. She would still be doing 30 minute meals, but Oprah liked her personality and marketed it.
__________________
"A man has to believe in something ... I believe I'll have another drink."
freefallin1309 is offline  
Old 08-15-2009, 11:30 PM   #195
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In the woods far, far, away,
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallin1309 View Post
She wouldn't be making the money she's making if it weren't for Oprah. She would still be doing 30 minute meals, but Oprah liked her personality and marketed it.
Ain't that the truth.
burgy61 is offline  
Old 08-16-2009, 12:09 AM   #196
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Easy

1.2 fat ladys on a motorcycle.
2.Gorden Ramsey.
3.Alton Brown.
4.Paula Deen "even if she is a loony toon"
5.Tyler Florence.
__________________
Chile Chef is offline  
Old 08-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #197
Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The world
Posts: 52
heston blumenthal in his program ''in search of perfection'' is pretty good and intresting
bert bakering is offline  
Old 08-22-2009, 07:08 PM   #198
Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef View Post
Easy

1.2 fat ladys on a motorcycle.
2.Gorden Ramsey.
3.Alton Brown.
4.Paula Deen "even if she is a loony toon"
5.Tyler Florence.
Chili Chef, I like your thinking! I liked 2 fat ladies when they were first on Food network, but honestly that was back in the days when they were building their stable and stuck with stuff that was out there and popular as they took future risks. I'm sad to see them off the air (and I think one died?).

Gordon is gordon. he spits, he yells, he throws tantrums, and that's what apparently keeps him on the US airwaves. Personally, I love his BBC shows more for the fact it shows him as a family man (f-word) and as a critic for good food (ramsay's kitchen nightmares). Hell's kitchen is a farce this season... I love robert to pieces, but to see last weeks charade (with him panting off screen in the interview room while we watch him on the 6 man bike) tells me that he recovered from his issues, as apparently he was sick immediately after that incident, not in time for any interviews where he looks healthy and happy. I really hate that fact of hell's kitchen, the interviews meant to tie in with current events, although they are post dated and supposedly interwine with the drama and the axings.

Alton is my number one. that man is a genius when it comes to food
science.

Paula is paula. I love her to bits, although her non-stick cookware is worth a crap, and her knives dull far sooner than "japanese steel" should.

Tyler is great! I get some good inspiration from his show tyler's ultimate.
Antiguadreams is offline  
Old 08-22-2009, 09:44 PM   #199
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kitchenelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,725
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Webster View Post
Do you know what a Buffalo Choppper is? Or a Spider in the kitchen?
I think I know what a buffalo chopper is and I definitely know what a spider is.
__________________
kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline  
Old 08-23-2009, 01:12 AM   #200
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiguadreams View Post
Chili Chef, I like your thinking! I liked 2 fat ladies when they were first on Food network, but honestly that was back in the days when they were building their stable and stuck with stuff that was out there and popular as they took future risks. I'm sad to see them off the air (and I think one died?).

Gordon is gordon. he spits, he yells, he throws tantrums, and that's what apparently keeps him on the US airwaves. Personally, I love his BBC shows more for the fact it shows him as a family man (f-word) and as a critic for good food (ramsay's kitchen nightmares). Hell's kitchen is a farce this season... I love robert to pieces, but to see last weeks charade (with him panting off screen in the interview room while we watch him on the 6 man bike) tells me that he recovered from his issues, as apparently he was sick immediately after that incident, not in time for any interviews where he looks healthy and happy. I really hate that fact of hell's kitchen, the interviews meant to tie in with current events, although they are post dated and supposedly interwine with the drama and the axings.

Alton is my number one. that man is a genius when it comes to food
science.

Paula is paula. I love her to bits, although her non-stick cookware is worth a crap, and her knives dull far sooner than "japanese steel" should.

Tyler is great! I get some good inspiration from his show tyler's ultimate.
Just remember Antiguadreams, They go ahead and splice all the pieces together that makes him look the best before the final cut.
__________________
Chile Chef is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.