Which Celebrity TV Chef is actually the BEST CHEF?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if I misunderstood, Greg.

But, based on some of your posts, I think you're underrating yourself. I believe you have the skills to make anything in Flay's books. Not preplanning, as you've noted, is the biggest potential headache.

Consider this, too: For many of his ".....with Y" recipes, the "Y" can be made ahead. So, while collectively a particular recipe may take a lot of time, you can prep it with a series of steps done a day or two ahead.

And I agree. Within the framework of his style, Flay is a great chef---both talented and creative. And let's face it; anyone smart enough to marry Stephenie Marsh can't be all bad. :>)

I'm certain he doesn't qualify as a celebrity, but I was incredibly impressed with Madison Cowan when he appeared on Chopped multiple times.

But, based on some of your posts, I think you're underrating yourself. I believe you have the skills to make anything in Flay's books. Not preplanning, as you've noted, is the biggest potential headache.
IMO modesty is not a fault. :) I have certainly at times accomplished things more complex than Flay's recipes but generally after a great deal of work in a specific cuisine (Thai-Chinese for example, probably my best subject area). IMO Flay almost qualifies as a unique cuisine of his own and I'm going to have to work up to it, and it will also take a lot of advance planning and ingredient acquisition. Most of the food I cook is far less complex than that.

Consider this, too: For many of his ".....with Y" recipes, the "Y" can be made ahead. So, while collectively a particular recipe may take a lot of time, you can prep it with a series of steps done a day or two ahead.

I would almost go as far as to say most (all?) of Flay's sauces, relishes, chutneys, salsas, etc. can and should be prepared ahead, even if ahead is only the day before or afternoon before cooking the main dish. And most if not all of them look good enough to apply to other dishes too.

I think I enjoy doing the prep work more than the actual cooking. For some reason, there seems to be a mental letdown when the prep work in done and I turn to the stove. :chef:

I really enjoy the prep work because it's almost like some form of mediation for me. Chop, chop, chop. Dice, dice, dice. Slice, slice, slice. Place in bowls for mise en place. I find it very calming that it is so often mindless. When you start putting heat on things there's a schedule to meet, a timetable, and if you miss a beat you could spoil the meal or at least make something flawed. The final cooking is naturally a more tense time.

I liked James Barber - "The Urban Peasant". He's the one responsible for getting me to cook anything more than hot dogs. There was this one utterly simple soup that he made on his show that I couldn't believe was any good. So I tried it.

1 can of creamed corn
1 empty can of creamed corn full of milk
1 pat of butter
1 palm of your hand full of curry

Heat. Eat. Wow!

I liked James Barber - "The Urban Peasant". He's the one responsible for getting me to cook anything more than hot dogs. There was this one utterly simple soup that he made on his show that I couldn't believe was any good. So I tried it.

1 can of creamed corn
1 empty can of creamed corn full of milk
1 pat of butter
1 palm of your hand full of curry

Heat. Eat. Wow!

That sounds good. Do you have the soup on its own or serve anything else with it?

Or you can make instant corn chowder. One can of cream style corn, one can of kernel corn, about three slices of bacon cooked til crispy, one can of potatoes, and one can of milk. Cook the bacon, add all the other ingredients. Knew a friend that used to make it and thought she was a great cook. I tasted it, but it wasn't what I would call chowder.

Yes, that corn soup does sound good! I like to add chicken to mine, with the canned corn. If I don't have enough time tocook the potatoes, I use the instant version. It makes for a quick week night meal. On the side, I like to have either saltines or a salad. The soup, itself, is filling enough without having bread or something.

I like Jamie Oliver, Raymond Blanc, Nigella Lawson, Barefoot Contessa (soooo soothing to watch), and Delia Smith - although she, like Nigella, is a cook not a trained chef. I also like the Hairy Bikers, Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall, Valentine Warner. I love so many, cookery progs are my idea of heaven.

For me, it would be Jamie Oliver!

He keeps it simple, yet delicious and I love the rustic feel and look to all his dishes :)

marco pierre white because he was the youngest british chef to gain 3 michelin stars,he trained chefs like gordon ramsay & heston blumenthal,he hates ramsay & handed back his stars because"he was tired of being judged by people with less ability than himself".ramsay is an ar*eh*le & michelin is a load of b*llocks imo so mpw is ok in my book.
other favs are raymond blanc,michel roux junior,monica galetti,tom kerridge,angela hartnett & nigel slater.
no list would be complete without keith floyd....sadly missed

The Then & Now Approach Across The World

;) Buon Giorno,

Firstly, since I spend my professional time in the Madrid Capital and we have our home in Puglia, Italia, I shall make a mini list via country.

Spain: Karlos Arguiñano ( Ferrán Adriá does not have a t.v. programme ), José Andrés, and Joan Roca ( he does not have a t.v. programme )

The U.K. : Jaime Oliver ( his take on the Mediterranean Cuisines is marvelous )

The USA : Mario Batali and José Andrés

* We would like to have lunch in Chicago at Grant Achatz´s ... and Tom Keller´s French Laundry ...

Greece: Christoforos Peskias, and Lefetris Lazarou ; I am uncertain if they have t.v. programmes, however, both are restaurateurs

Italia: Cracco ( Restaurateur ) and Flavio, owner of Gambero Rossi

Have a Lovely July 4th and Canada Day 1st,

Ciao. Margi.

Last edited:
Michael Symon is my top choice. There are several who I like, but he seems to be able to handle just about anything that's thrown at him with a creative flair. He isn't locked in to a single cooking style.

Geoffrey Zakarian comes close, but seems to be more rigid in his technique, not as willing to experiment.

Much as I love Bobby Flay and his grilling shows, he seems to be less well rounded as a chef.

Greg Who Cooks said:
I really enjoy the prep work because it's almost like some form of mediation for me. Chop, chop, chop. Dice, dice, dice. Slice, slice, slice. Place in bowls for mise en place. I find it very calming that it is so often mindless. When you start putting heat on things there's a schedule to meet, a timetable, and if you miss a beat you could spoil the meal or at least make something flawed. The final cooking is naturally a more tense time.

I'm the opposite. Though, I do like prepping, I love the organized chaos of the kitchen. A chef is certainly a masochist. I love the blood, the sweat, it makes me feel alive.

I have Dish Network’s basic programing and not a lot of those extras but part of my basic programming is Food Network. This month they gave me for free “The cooking Channel” which I think I like even better but it will expire this week (sigh).
One of my new favorite shows is “Extra Virgin” with Debi and Gabriele. They are a hoot and their recipes mostly Tuscanized as Gabriela is from Italy. Love his accent. They love to use fresh local ingredients which I admire.

I have watched most of the chefs at one time or another but some of my favorites are:
Barefoot Contessa (Ina Garten). She is calm and I like calm… She doesn’t have to talk constantly unlike Sunny Anderson on her “ Cooking for Real” show. It drives me nuts! Be quiet already!

I love Michael Symon, Tyler Florence, Kelsey’s Essentials, Jamie Deen, Bobbi Deen, (Paula Deen is a lovely person however her recipes are too fattening....too much butter) so I don't watch her anymore.

The programming has changed a lot and I used to like Ellie Krieger who is a nutritionalist and prepares healthy recipes. She is also calm. Have I mentioned already.. I like Calm? ;) I don’t think she has a show anymore.

For me cooking is therapeutic so I stay away from those competition shows where they are racing against a clock. It too hectic for me and only raises my blood pressure. Some people love that but its just not for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like Gordon Ramsay!

Years ago I didn't watch him much as I had heard bad things about him, but he really is quite a nice and intelligent man :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom