Why did they bring Robert Irvine back to Dinner Impossible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
Why after he lied and the FN replaced him with Micheal Symon last season, why the bring Robert Ervine back this season to Dinner Impossible?

I was wondering the same thing. Probably a legal loophole that he is using to obligate them.. that's my impression.

As much as I like Michael Symon, and felt Robert Irvine was getting pretty caustic towards the end of his first run, I think he is the best chef for the show. Symon seemed in a pork rut and fudged many of the challenges just because it went against his principles (not using the main ingredient - chicken - on the Devil Went Down to Georgia challenge just because he refused to use boneless skinless breasts instead of thinking outside the box). Chef Irvine, while he was never happy about it, always worked on the challenge to the letter.

That's just my opinion, and as I said, I like and respect both chefs.

On a personal note, I would have cubed the chicken breasts into a devil sauce and it would have solved the dryness/flavourless problem and fit the theme two ways!

Last edited:
As much as I like Michael Symon, and felt Robert Irvine was getting pretty caustic towards the end of his first run, I think he is the best chef for the show. Symon seemed in a pork rut and fudged many of the challenges just because it went against his principles (not using the main ingredient - chicken - on the Devil Went Down to Georgia challenge just because he refused to use boneless skinless breasts instead of thinking outside the box). Chef Irvine, while he was never happy about it, always worked on the challenge to the letter.

That's just my opinion, and as I said, I like and respect both chefs.

On a personal note, I would have cubed the chicken breasts into a devil sauce and it would have solved the dryness/flavourless problem and fit the theme two ways!
I agree totally Laurie. Plus I feel we all deserve a second chance..
kades

It's Irvine with an "I" not an "E" first of all. But just because the man lied about some of his creds doesn't make him a bad chef or have any less of a draw for FN. I like to watch him mainly because he does think outside of the box and gets things done. We just watched one the other day (don't know if it's new or not, new to me anyway) where he had to cook several dishes for Yahoo employees, and the ingredients were all mixed up randomly by a computer. The computer would choose a familiar dish, then it would randomly choose an ingredient for it. For instance, one was chili ... then the computer chose peanut butter as the ingredient. Yuck IMO, but all of the dishes were like this and the Costco he went to didn't have half of the ingredients he needed, plus the man had 2 Yahoo executives cooking for him, so his team was weakened on that end. He got it all done with literally 2 minutes left. All in all a good show I think.

Irvine sure beats some of the poor excuses that FN has on some of their shows; at least he knows how to cook a variety of foods! He doesn't have to make something from a box, can, jar or just barbecued this or that! :)

Im guessing ratings and $$$$ are the bottom line. When I saw him a few months ago at a food and wine festival, he mentioned that sometime this year he would have a new show on one of the major networks. He didnt elaborate, and i havent seen anything posted. I liked him. Good chef, good personality, but I must say, that when u see him live, he seemed to try and be like Guy Fieri with all the energy and shtick... It worked, just didnt seem all that original to me.

I was surprised to see him back as well. I read that he apologized (including to the TV audience) and they decided to give him another chance. I really do think he is the best one for that show, and I also believe in second chances. Most of us have had at least one second chance in our lives.

:)Barbara

He does a better job at the challenges, and I bet his ratings were better. The bottom line is always how much revenue can he generate for the Network. I didn't watch it when Michael Symon was featured, although I respect his chef skills.

I only saw one episode with Micheal Symon and wasn't that impressed compared to Robert Irvine. The one with Micheal he was cooking for a block party in Philadelphia. He seemed to spend a lot of the time schmoozing with everyone and little time actually cooking. He had all his flunkies doing the actually cooking. I know you need a lot of help but I didn't see him do much more than stir a pot and taste stuff. The clock count down seemed pretty useless for this episode as well. I didn't watch it again. But now if Robert is back, I'll have to add it to my viewing list again.

Robert Irvine is genuinely a great, hard working chef, he deserves to show his skill on tv, whether he lied or not. He is exciting to watch and very talented. Michael Symon is talented, but honestly the only show I ever liked him personally on was the next iron chef. He should leave dinner impossibles to the pros. Hats off to Robert

Well, first of all he would not be the first one to embellish his resume, big deal. FN should have checked it to begin with and since they did not they should have just say oops.

Second of all he was really good in many completely unbelievable situations.

So I’m glad he’s back. Now I wish I had FN back.

It's Irvine with an "I" not an "E" first of all. But just because the man lied about some of his creds doesn't make him a bad chef or have any less of a draw for FN. I like to watch him mainly because he does think outside of the box and gets things done. We just watched one the other day (don't know if it's new or not, new to me anyway) where he had to cook several dishes for Yahoo employees, and the ingredients were all mixed up randomly by a computer. The computer would choose a familiar dish, then it would randomly choose an ingredient for it. For instance, one was chili ... then the computer chose peanut butter as the ingredient. Yuck IMO, but all of the dishes were like this and the Costco he went to didn't have half of the ingredients he needed, plus the man had 2 Yahoo executives cooking for him, so his team was weakened on that end. He got it all done with literally 2 minutes left. All in all a good show I think.
i have had chili with peanut butter in it. in small amounts it adds a richness. have you ever tried it? just wondering.

the man LIED.. big lies... to get his job. Great role model, let's put him back on tv.

Most people exaggerate their resumes, everyone I've ever interviewed was not what was on the resume.

msmofet said:
i have had chili with peanut butter in it. in small amounts it adds a richness. have you ever tried it? just wondering.

No I haven't. I would try it in small amounts, but the idea behind the Yahoo deal was that it was the main ingredient and not burger or sirloin. I'm not sure how good chili would taste if it were the over all flavor of it :)

I'm glad they gave Irvine another chance, the show is worth watching with him as the host. I found Symon lacking in the role of host, he is a good chef I think just lacked something in the hosting department.

the man LIED.. big lies... to get his job. Great role model, let's put him back on tv.

on one hand I totally agree with you. The man lied- period. He had one amazing chance to make it big and he ruined it. So, in theory, he should get the boot...

But...on the other hand...If his talent and personality (which translates into ratings for the network) can save his toosh, then I think there is something to say about his work.

I certainly don't agree with lying to get your job, or being stupid enough to do it in a situation like that where you can easliy be caught. But if the man's good then he's good. And I am sure it was a truly humbling experience for him. I dig em. He keeps me entertained.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom