Beef jerky problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahoymatey2013

Senior Cook
I get my beef sliced at the deli at my little mom & pop store where I buy my meats. Well, I have a problem. I bought 7 pounds of meat and here the new girl sliced it so thin that I can't even work at pealing it apart to season it.

I don't know if this is the right forum to ask but what can I do with all that meat now. It's not usable for jerky at all and there's no way I can return it.

Hey

Super thin beef?? Sweet! Gotta think fast cooking, flash frying, deep frying etc... Works for asian wok cooking, beef salads, in wraps/rolls/sandwiches/kebabs. Why not in a stroganoff, curry, pho, broth??? Make your sauce and then add your meat last minute for perfect cooking. Depending on the cut maybe try a tartare?? Works with a million and one accompaniments!

Necessity is the mother of invention! Most of the best ideas in our kitchen come out of mistakes! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to DC!

First, I would separate them into 1# packages and freeze all but one of them, then try some of the suggestions here on that. Philly cheese hoagies come to mind.

After I posted this I thought of Philly cheese steak, dug. I may try to do a stroganoff with it also.

Hi Jenny, the meat is raw and like I said its a mom and pop store and they do this kind of stuff all the time for us locals. I usually get it sliced at an 1/8 of an inch or thicker but the new girl isn't broken in yet. I will be having a talk with the owner about this. Paper thin doesn't even come close to an 1/8 of an inch so she's going to need to learn the sizes of an inch if she's going to work in the deli.

They do clean the slicer after they do stuff like this b

Chipped beef on toast?

I'd call the deli and ask them how thick she cut it. They owe you some sammich rolls.

If it's as thin as you say. Why not let it rest on the counter for a little while,
just enough so that you can separate the slices. When it's ready go ahead and season it as you had planned for jerky. You don't have to marinate it.

The dehydrating times would probably be less than it normally would be.

It was paper thin. So thin that you could see through it. I honestly don't know how she did it that thin. When I get them to do chipped steak for me it's never done as thin as that so there's no way I could have done jerky with it. It would have been done in 5 minutes :)

I made a cheese steak Stromboli with it and then made half pound packages with the rest and froze it for steak sandwiches. That will be nice to take up to the camper.

Back
Top Bottom