Can I re-dehydrate 1 year old dehydrated beans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kkg

Assistant Cook
I made a faux paux in not putting my dehydrated beans from last year in an air tight moisture proof container instead I put them in a jar with lid. I looked at them and noticed that many had turned brown and were no longer green. I opened it up and it had a weird smell. Not a moldy smell but a very distinctive smell like they had retained moisture with a bean smell. I am in the process of rehydrating some to taste them to see if they are still good tasting. If they are, can I re-dehydrate them again and then put them in a new airtight container?

I would pitch them. Weird smell and color change suggest they're no longer properly stored or edible.

Welcome to DC!

Last edited:
Reactions: kkg
I made a faux paux in not putting my dehydrated beans from last year in an air tight moisture proof container instead I put them in a jar with lid. I looked at them and noticed that many had turned brown and were no longer green. I opened it up and it had a weird smell. Not a moldy smell but a very distinctive smell like they had retained moisture with a bean smell. I am in the process of rehydrating some to taste them to see if they are still good tasting. If they are, can I re-dehydrate them again and then put them in a new airtight container?
Take Dawgluver's advice and throw them away. They are not fit to eat and could make you very ill.

"re-dehydrate" is not the problem. They smell and that is the sure sign that they should go into garbage, and not into cooking.

Don't taste them, either. Bacterial waste can include toxins that you can't taste or smell and can't be destroyed by cooking. Throw them away.

Dried beans can last a long time so using them after a year is no problem.

But beans that are off colored and with an off smell aren't worth it.

I don't see a health risk but taste and nutrition will have suffered.

As Steve said Beans are cheap.

But rather then toss them put them out for the birds and other critters to enjoy. If you can crack them into smaller pieces (A blender would work) so the smaller birds can enjoy them too. Perhaps even soak them and make a mash for our little pals in nature. :)

They were dehydrated green beans, Zagut. If they're "off" they could be dangerous for anyone, and I wouldn't feed them to the birds either!

Last edited:
Dawgluver, I'll admit I thought the OP was talking about dried beans like Navy Beans or Black beans.

I still stand by my statement about them being safe.

I wouldn't eat them for the reasons I stated but.......

FSHN0406/FS104: Preventing Foodborne Illness: Clostridium botulinum

Dehydration - How to Dry Foods Instead of Canning or Freezing

How to Dehydrate Foods

5 Ways to Prevent Botulism - wikiHow

Removing the Risk of Botulism From Canning

Shelf Life of Home Dehydrated Foods - Survivalist Forum

Anaerobic conditions and Botulism - Homesteading Today

Now as far as feeding them to the wildlife goes....

Ma Nature tends to have a way of letting her creatures know what and what not to eat. I defer to her and offer what I can to my fellow travelers in this journey of life and let them pick and choose.

Some of the things my kitties eat would make me sick for sure. But they suffer no ill effects.

You love dogs.
So do I. (But cats rule ;))
But just think of some of the things you've seen them chew on?
And I'll bet you still let them kiss you. :LOL:

because of the smell, i wouldn't serve them to most indoor animals, human or other. however, birds are ok to give them to. their digestive and immune systems are radically different than mammals. they're little dinosaurs, after all.
also, like zagut said, they seem to know what they can and cannot eat.

and dogs drool, lol

Zagut, you seem to be missing the point. Why in the would you "still stand by your statement of them being safe"?

You obviously must not have read the links you posted.

• If there is mold on or strange discoloration of the food, discard it.

Exactly, Kayelle. Hopefully the OP didn't taste-test them. And I still wouldn't feed them to ANY living thing.

Kayelle, I stand by my statement because there is no mention of mold and I also said I wouldn't consume it myself. I suggested it be fed to the birds and other critters that inhabit this earth with us. Guess I just hate to see things sent to the landfill and figure Ma Nature is smarter then me. ;)

Kayelle, I stand by my statement because there is no mention of mold and I also said I wouldn't consume it myself. I suggested it be fed to the birds and other critters that inhabit this earth with us. Guess I just hate to see things sent to the landfill and figure Ma Nature is smarter then me. ;)

Mold and bacteria are not the same thing. As I said, bacteria produce toxins that have no odor or flavor but are poisonous. I also try to minimize what goes in the landfill from my household, but not to the point of endangering other animals.

Back
Top Bottom