What is your favorite item to dry in your dehydrator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ooh, Pear Leather sounds delicious, Frank! Which pears would make the best leather? My preference goes to Anjou pears. Would those work?

I use.. umm.. well.. whatever BJ's or Costco has when they have pears. So now you know they secret.

Dehydrator choice

Which is the best dehydrator to buy ? Thought best not to spend too much to start with but yet don't want the kit to be under performing so I am not keen on continuing ? Any advic e?

Which is the best dehydrator to buy ? Thought best not to spend too much to start with but yet don't want the kit to be under performing so I am not keen on continuing ? Any advic e?

Welcome to DC Tessb. This is a fun place to be at. Lots of laughs, along with info. Someone will be along with the information you are seeking. I don't own one, so I am of no help to you. :angel:

Strawberry slices, blood orange slices and apple slices sprinkled with cinnamon. My grandson calls them candy and who am I to argue?

Oops almost forgot my all time fav! Concentrated bone broth that I turn into powder. Awesome for cooking or for getting over a cold or flu.

Zucchini slices with salt olive oil and vinegar are great! I tried spicy cucumber chips but didn't like those....

Mine is the size of a rather large microwave. Its an Excalibur 9-tray. I'm very fortunate to have counter space for it to live there permanently. I've seen many smaller models that people love, so there is something for everyone.

If you don't mind used, check your local thrift stores and yard sales. They most likely won't still have the manual, but those can often be downloaded online. A friend of mine found one at her local thrift store for $5 and it looked like it had never been used - box and manual with registration card all intact.

Got more tangelos done and I can't stop eating those. They taste just like candy! I wish we still had bananas, I'd make more banana chips. We just keep eating them fresh before getting a chance to dehydrate them.

We're going to freeze, slice and marinate the beef tonight and then dehydrate the jerky tomorrow to have some snacks for the Ren Faire this weekend. Hopefully we'll still have tangelo slices left to bring - that is if I don't eat them all. :pig:
DO you just thin-slice the tangelos (forming a thin disk)?

I bet they also look pretty in a jar!

This year I dehydrated zucchini, when they are 5-6 inch size, no blanching. They are good rehydrated and put in zucchini bread. We tested out the recipe twice and it worked out well.

We keep our dehydrator outside, (garlic and onions stink) in a cabinet, then cover it with a tarp and bungee cord it closed, all year. Ours has been outside longer than 5 years now, no direct sun on it.

dehydratorcabinet.jpg

This year I dehydrated zucchini, when they are 5-6 inch size, no blanching. They are good rehydrated and put in zucchini bread. We tested out the recipe twice and it worked out well.

We keep our dehydrator outside, (garlic and onions stink) in a cabinet, then cover it with a tarp and bungee cord it closed, all year. Ours has been outside longer than 5 years now, no direct sun on it.

dehydratorcabinet.jpg

Do you dehydrate the zucchinis whole ?

Do you dehydrate the zucchinis whole ?
Nope, ha ha, should have mentioned, sliced.

:LOL:
Sorry! Silly me lately.
I really didn't like shredded frozen because half of it or more is water. I'd drain the water and use 2 packages to get enough for zucchini bread, and I thought, why waste the space in the freezer?

Last edited:
Nope, ha ha, should have mentioned, sliced.

:LOL:
Sorry! Silly me lately.
I really didn't like shredded frozen because half of it or more is water. I'd drain the water and use 2 packages to get enough for zucchini bread, and I thought, why waste the space in the freezer?

Thats what I figured:LOL: but having limited dehydrating experience, I just wanted to clarify.

I do mostly tomatoes , peppers and now apples.

No brainer for me - peppers are my favorite! But I also dry a lot of tomatoes, plus all those eggplants - just used a few of those eggplants tonight.

Apple chips

I love fruit leather and apple chips.
I can't seem to ever make enough apple chips. My Mom comes over and always wants to know if I have any chips left. We have lots of apple trees so every fall we makes bags and bags of chips And every time mom leaves she usually has a bag of chips. The last 2-3 years I have more then doubled what I think we will need, but always run out way to soon.
I made some peach and some apple and pear leathers last year still have a bit of those left. Maybe I can get her to snack on those, they seem to go farther.

Asian pears and watermelons. Separately, not necessarily together. Jerky is good too, just haven't found that good recipe yet.

Tomatoes for my tomato powder and hot peppers also for powder dehydrate all my herbs.
I purchase a large family size bag of mixed vegetable and dry them grind them up for vegetable bouillon for broth

This year I have been making fruit leather. I think my favorite is apple chips. My Mom thinks so too as she keeps taking bags of them with her when ever she visits.....
So far this year I have made peach, plum and pear fruit leather still waiting on the apples to ripen some more for that.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom