Any Way to Tell if Raw Chicken is Bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:)Fridge temp is also important make sure its operating at the right temp.My rule is When in doubt throw it out.Its not worth the food poisoning at any price.

So to review........For our purposes, chicken should be considered "bad" and discarded for any of three reasons:

1. past the sell by date or over 3 days in your fridge. (sell by dates are not infallible by any stretch)

2. Confirmed or suspected holding of the chicken for more than 2 hours above 40 degrees. Generally you won't be able to actually confirm it, so if you are unsure, send it bye bye.

3. Any off odor or color. It is impossible to really tell how that chicken was held before you got it home. If this occurs within the "sell by" date range, reputable stores will exchange or refund.

chicken

I do not like chicken and think it always smells gross. What if it smells a little like sulfur?

I have a scanario for you.

During Hurricane Irene, I moved 5lbs of frozen chicken breast into the fridge to make room for buckets full of water to make huge ice blocks. We were expecting power outage for the weekend. Storm hit Sunday 2am the power goes out. Power comes back on 10am Monday. Because the chicken was frozen, and the fridge was never opened and I would assume the chicken didn't completely thaw.

I'm now 7 days from the time the power came back on and I remember the chicken.

I just cut it into cubes and no smell at all - but felt a bit slimmy.

Cook OR Toss it?

a day and a quarter without power would start the chicken well on its way to defrosting. Seven days for defrosted chicken is too much. I'd toss it.

It probably took longer for the center of the package to defrost but don't try to second guess.

>> Any surefire way to tell?

yup. eat it.

if you get sick, it was bad chicken.

I may be wrong, I may be crazy, but when chicken is bad, I can smell it. I mean really smell it. Ugh!

And, yes, I've been through hurricanes and other stuff and had to start eating through my freezer. Think about it. We eat aged beef, right? Have you ever eaten an aged chicken. Start with the poultry. Seriously, it will stink pretty quickly.

MD, given your circumstances (and yes, I've been there), it is always better safe than sorry. You did great by filling the freezer. Everyone should note that a full fridge and freezer are your very, very best friends in extended power outages. When you think a storm is brewing in your area, IMMEDIATELY start filling bottles and any other vessel (i.e., tupperware and other type containers) with water and toss them in your fridge and freezer. Your food will stay colder, longer, and you'll have that water should you need it.

If the storm by-passes you, what are you out? Use the extra water to water your plants.

Back
Top Bottom