Arroz con Pollo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
I'm not totally sure about the amount of stock this recipe calls for. Usually, it's a 2:1 ratio of liquid : rice. Plus, there are other things in here that will add moisture. I'm probably going to drop the stock down to and even 2 c. If I need more liquid, I can always add it.

Arroz con Pollo
Mexican Chicken with Rice
Yields: 4 servings

½ c Olive oil
¼ c Tomato sauce
1 Frying chicken, cut up
1/8 t Saffron (powdered)
1 each Small onion chopped
2 ½ c Chicken stock
1 t garlic, minced
1 c uncooked rice
Salt and pepper to taste

Before you begin cooking, add the saffron to the chicken stock and let it steep.
In a heavy-bottomed pan, heat the oil, and brown the chicken pieces on both sides. Remove the chicken from the pan, keep warm, then add the onion and garlic to the pan, and fry a few minutes. Return the chicken to the pan, and add the tomato sauce, saffron infused chicken stock, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then cover and cook for 20 minutes. Finally, add the rice, stirring well, cover again and simmer for 30 minutes longer, or until all liquid has been absorbed and chicken is tender.

this looks really good allen. i have a family sized box of goya yellow rice at home; i think i'll try to make it this week.
thanks for posting the recipe.

Allen,
This sounds like my arroz con pollo except I use ground cumin instead of saffron. I will try your version soon.

Dina

Well, my stove decided to do it's quirky thing about not turning the heat down again. Luckily I caught it before dinner was completely ruined. The dish is just slightly scorched.

I did a few things different. I didn't have any chicken pieces, so I went with boneless skinless breasts. I browned them off, then removed them from the pan, added the onions, garlic, salt, and pepper, and sauteed that for a few minutes. Then, I added the raw rice, which I stirred around like I was making a pilaf or rissotto. Next came the tomato sauce, which I stirred just for a minute or two to caramelize it (I like to caramelize everything, something I learned cooking Cajun food). That's when I noticed the burner hadn't come down from high heat when I browned the chicken. I pulled the pan off the burner, added the stock, and stirred it around. I tasted it, and it didn't taste burned. I went ahead with the recipe, and place the chicken back into the pan, covered, and simmered for 25 minutes. I only simmered it that long as the chicken was pretty much thoroughly cooked, and rice only takes 18 minutes to cook.

It's pretty good. PeppA likes it, although my MIL turned her nose up at it (it looks to much like my Jambalaya, and she's got stomach flu right now, so nothing spicy).

I was surprised that it didn't call for any kind of chile pepper or any kind, or other seasonings. I may have to add some of my homemade Mexican seasoning blend next time.

Back
Top Bottom