Beer in the rear chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

naturalmovements

Assistant Cook

combat load:

12oz beer (anything but whimpy will work)
fresh rosemary
extra virgin olive oil
paprika
cummin
salt(kosher) & pepper <-----the greatest spices of all time
butter spray
grill----oak hardwood lump coals
4-5lb bird, i cooked it for 2 hours ranging from 350 to 400 degrees on the far side of grill, when the internal temp reached 180 i rang the dinner bell!

you can buy a beer can chicken holder or you can stand it up without it, just make sure its upright and dont forget to take a swig off the beer first(chefs secret!)

i like this concept, the beer-steam logic makes sense, rosemary and chicken are always amazing, paprika and cummin compliment, salt n pepper are the greatest spices of all time, ill give it a mist of butter for than golden crisp exterior, before anything i dry the chicken and then brush a tiny amount of olive oil, put some rosemary in the beer and on the chicken (you can also add butter, onions, garlic, etc to the beer), its just something to really play around with and shape it around your specific taste, this was no specific recipe, im still a white belt at cooking and just used what was in my kitchen, im always open to ideas or suggestions...

my main point of this is to bring up the idea, maybe youve forgotten about it, maybe youve never heard of it, maybe you have ideas for it, i love food and love what food does for the mind and body..if you try this, i hope ive served you well! thank you

Last edited:
I've never seen a rack like that. I use a Steven Raichlen bird holder.
Nice looking birds.

In all the truth it doesnt matter. Back in my russian days, we did not have any kind of racks. You just put the chicken on the top of a can and it just seats there and cooks. it is a toy, nice toy, but still a toy.

That one at the top of that page is the one I have. I like it because I don't always have an empty can available and never use beer anymore, so I'll add whatever to the container that came with it. It's only fault is if I am doing a roasting size bird the pan will get pretty full. Too full to carry. Nothing a turkey baster won't take care of.

In all the truth it doesnt matter. Back in my russian days, we did not have any kind of racks. You just put the chicken on the top of a can and it just seats there and cooks. it is a toy, nice toy, but still a toy.

I like toys.. Wouldn't mind having one for my grill. I need new grilling baskets to..

Something about the beer can method grosses me out. And people drink it after wards?

Was just looking at hot dog roasting utensils. Thumbing through a tail gating " Grilled " magazine.. I was shocked by some that I saw. :ohmy:

Munky.

No, Chef Munky, you don't drink the beer afterwards--you do drink (or pour off) some of the beer so it doesn't boil over. The liquid does not need to be beer--plain water, fruit juice, wine--any kind of liquid will do. I never find that the chicken has a beer flavor but the method does seem to make for a nice juicy bird.

And those look wonderful!!

Does all of the beer ever steam out of the can?

indirect/steady heat keeps it from boiling out, the rest evaporates into the meat, this is a million times better if you smoke it....low n slow!

I can only speak for indirect heat on a grill running at 350, but my liquid container feels as full after the cook as it did before. I have no idea why, because you would certainly think it would evaporate down.

This is my all time favorite way to cook a whole chicken, although I do mine in the oven at 425 degrees. I plug up the hole where the neck was with half a lemon, cut side down, and secured by pulling the skin over the lemon and securing with toothpicks. Sometimes I use wine in a empty Coke can, and always several smashed garlic cloves inside. To me, this is the perfect roast chicken.
Beautiful pictures, and thanks for the topic! :chef:

This is my all time favorite way to cook a whole chicken, although I do mine in the oven at 425 degrees. I plug up the hole where the neck was with half a lemon, cut side down, and secured by pulling the skin over the lemon and securing with toothpicks. Sometimes I use wine in a empty Coke can, and always several smashed garlic cloves inside. To me, this is the perfect roast chicken.
Beautiful pictures, and thanks for the topic!

thank you and good suggestion, ill try something like that in the future!

I can only speak for indirect heat on a grill running at 350, but my liquid container feels as full after the cook as it did before. I have no idea why, because you would certainly think it would evaporate down.

cold beer is the best beer, but for this you should leave it out for a bit so its not so cold, kinda the same principle with meat, room temp is the starting point

this might bare no truth but maybe try just a aluminum can with fluids of your choice instead of a container, seems like the container would take more to warm, but i really dont know just thinking of anything that could help and its easier to start with whats simple

Simple is good!!! So is not wasting your time and resources on Manufacturing hype, misinformation,and out right disinformation...It's only redeeming quality is it allows one to cook more chickens at a time on any given cooking appliance... For that reason only, and for just a few dollars, I guess it's not a bad trade off.....

Link

Last edited:
cold beer is the best beer, but for this you should leave it out for a bit so its not so cold, kinda the same principle with meat, room temp is the starting point

this might bare no truth but maybe try just a aluminum can with fluids of your choice instead of a container, seems like the container would take more to warm, but i really dont know just thinking of anything that could help and its easier to start with whats simple

Cold beer is definitely the best beer. That's why my beer never sees the inside of a chicken cavity :LOL: I prefer wine or a white pop like 7UP in the container. Sometimes with rosemary if I'm in the mood.

I use the liquid holding container that came with the rack I mentioned earlier. A can won't fit in the holder, but everything seems to come just fine using it as is.

Simple is good!!! So is not wasting your time and resources on Manufacturing hype, misinformation,and out right disinformation...It's only redeeming quality is it allows one to cook more chickens at a time on any given cooking appliance... For that reason only, and for just a few dollars, I guess it's not a bad trade off.....

Link

There is one further experiment I would like to see. A beer can full of water vs an empty chicken, both roasted vertically. I wonder if the container does something to the internal temperature of the chicken. But, I'm not curious enough to try it myself :rolleyes:

simple is good and this is still simple, salt n pepper with butter and water works too.....

I really enjoy the way this chicken comes out, juicy, flavorful and most of all satisfying....maybe one day you will be passing through Texas and some big country boy will enlighten your taste buds

Back
Top Bottom