"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Florida
Posts: 2,417
Question Brown Chicken before putting into a crock-pot

I am doing a chicken thigh recipe in a crock pot tonight. Should I brown the pieces (skin on and bone in) ? The recipe specifically calls for no water or other liquid.. Do you think the juices from the onions and chicken will do the trick?

__________________

__________________
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 323
Not if you aren't adding any liquid....cuz pre-browning will stop the chicken from oozing its own liquids into the pot.

Good luck! let us know how it turns out.
__________________

Soma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,276
You have to brown the chicken separately in a hot pan before putting it in the CP. You can't brown in a CP.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Florida
Posts: 2,417
Andy, I knew that. I just wondered if it would be okay to do the browning and then cook it in the crock pot to finish for about 6 hours. There is not supposed to be any liquid added, according to the recipe.
__________________
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
Andy, I knew that. I just wondered if it would be okay to do the browning and then cook it in the crock pot to finish for about 6 hours. There is not supposed to be any liquid added, according to the recipe.

Sorry, misread the question. I think it'll be fine. Brown the chicken. The crockpot will cause the chicken and veggies to give up their liquids to cook the dish.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston and Cape Cod
Posts: 10,088
Browning meat creates flavor.

It does not seal in juices.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: California's Big Valley
Posts: 845
I would brown it.
Oldvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,002
With the skin on, I too would brown them. If they were skinless, probably not.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
I am doing a chicken thigh recipe in a crock pot tonight. Should I brown the pieces (skin on and bone in) ? The recipe specifically calls for no water or other liquid.. Do you think the juices from the onions and chicken will do the trick?
Since you are using skin-on & no liquid, I would not brown first. The skin/fat will increase the temp/heat, & may give some browning. (I would spray the pot w/ nonstick cooking spray.) If you want a crispy dark skin, I would go with another cooking method.
Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #10
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Florida
Posts: 2,417
I browned them a little. They are in the Crock pot cooking away.

Thanks for the input.
__________________
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
Sous Chef
 
no mayonnaise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma View Post
Not if you aren't adding any liquid....cuz pre-browning will stop the chicken from oozing its own liquids into the pot.
That's just not true at all.

I say brown the chicken, then deglaze the pan in which you browned them. Reduce the liquid to a thick, syrup consistency and add it into the recipe. It'll be less than a tablespoon of water but the flavor benefit should be huge. Browning it will add flavor, and that's always good. I always start off my braises/slow cooks with seared protein.
no mayonnaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:38 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
That's just not true at all.

I say brown the chicken, then deglaze the pan in which you browned them. Reduce the liquid to a thick, syrup consistency and add it into the recipe. It'll be less than a tablespoon of water but the flavor benefit should be huge. Browning it will add flavor, and that's always good. I always start off my braises/slow cooks with seared protein.
So true NM. Even the veggies have tons of liquid that they will release into the pot as they slowly cook. Sauteing the veggies before placing in the pot will add additional flavor to the finished dish.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:41 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,114
I personally would brown them a little first
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston and Cape Cod
Posts: 10,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
That's just not true at all.

I say brown the chicken, then deglaze the pan in which you browned them. Reduce the liquid to a thick, syrup consistency and add it into the recipe. It'll be less than a tablespoon of water but the flavor benefit should be huge. Browning it will add flavor, and that's always good. I always start off my braises/slow cooks with seared protein.

You are right that browning doesn't seal in juices.

And you are totally right on about how to boost flavor by using the fond left over in the skillet.

Browning protein is what creates flavor!
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #15
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,158
The only recipes I've seen for skin-on chicken that don't call for adding any liquid, is Rotisserie-Style chicken (below). In my experience (over the last decade), I have not seen or tried browning same prior to placing it in the CP. That's not to say it can't or shouldn't be done, but that's what I based my reply on.

Crock Pot Rotisserie Style Chicken Recipe - Food.com - 448861

Don't recall any mention of vegetables. Would like to have seen the "recipe" in its' entirety. What matters is how it turned out.
Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
The only recipes I've seen for skin-on chicken that don't call for adding any liquid, is Rotisserie-Style chicken (below). In my experience (over the last decade), I have not seen or tried browning same prior to placing it in the CP. That's not to say it can't or shouldn't be done, but that's what I based my reply on.

Crock Pot Rotisserie Style Chicken Recipe - Food.com - 448861

Don't recall any mention of vegetables. Would like to have seen the "recipe" in its' entirety. What matters is how it turned out.
A lot of CP recipes suggest making a bed of veggies for the meat to sit on. That way the chicken isn't sitting in juices yet is cooking. The juices from the chicken meld with the juices from the veggies and make a delicious gravy when mixed with the deglazed juices from the stovetop pan.

Sorry if we came across as being critical of your comment. It wasn't intended that way.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #17
Sous Chef
 
no mayonnaise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
So true NM. Even the veggies have tons of liquid that they will release into the pot as they slowly cook. Sauteing the veggies before placing in the pot will add additional flavor to the finished dish.
I think the topic was searing chicken (not veggies), which is just browning the outside before adding it to the CP. No mention of sauteeing/cooking through; the chicken will still be raw in the middle after the sear which is the way it should be. It'll still have PLENTY of juices to add to the CP as it cooks. I always sear and deglaze before braising/slow cooking.
no mayonnaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #18
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
A lot of CP recipes suggest making a bed of veggies for the meat to sit on. That way the chicken isn't sitting in juices yet is cooking. The juices from the chicken meld with the juices from the veggies and make a delicious gravy when mixed with the deglazed juices from the stovetop pan.

Sorry if we came across as being critical of your comment. It wasn't intended that way.
Actually, I place veggies on top, rather than the bottom so they don't become soggy, & per my model's instructions. But, that's not what the OP asked about.
Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
Actually, I place veggies on top, rather than the bottom so they don't become soggy, & per my model's instructions. But, that's not what the OP asked about.
I was only offering the OP a means to obtain additional flavor for her meal. Veggies have a ton of flavor to add to any meal.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #20
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Florida
Posts: 2,417
I seared the chicken thighs well on one side (the presentation side) then put them in the CP on a huge bed of onions. Added 30 cloves of garlic and salt & pepper. That was it. After 6 hours on low, they came out perfectly cooked and with lots of juice to pour over. Everyone loved them.

Thanks to all for the input.
__________________

__________________
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chicken

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×