"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-17-2012, 04:00 AM   #1
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 1,272
Buttermilk Fried Chicken

Buttermilk Fried Chicken - recipe from Olive Magazine.

The chicken pieces were marinated overnight in buttermilk, which makes the chicken very soft.

It was then coated in a lovely mix of seasoned flour (I use Doves Farm gluten free flour), paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic salt and dried herbs - oregano and thyme.

The chicken was fried briefly then baked in the oven.

Really tasty and popular with the family.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fried chicken 2.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	13517  
Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:33 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,467
Looks really good!
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Both in Italy and Spain
Posts: 3,425
Gravy Queen,

Your chicken looks scrumptuous.

I have a good question. In Madrid Capital, I have never seen Butter Milk --- I believe this product to be a " Sour Milk " --- Am I correct ?

Wondering, can Sour Cream ( crema agría ) be substituted for your chicken, or how could I take Regular Milk and make a butter milk from it ? And / or if this is too complicated, could I use another substitute ?

Thanks for the photographed postings.
Margi.
Margi Cintrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 1,272
Hi Margie, I think you can add lemon to regular milk but I will check further for you.
Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Both in Italy and Spain
Posts: 3,425
Gravy Queen,

Due to fact that I have never seen butter milk in Spain or Italia, nor have I ever cooked with it; is there a substitute for example: sour cream ( crema agria ) ?

Your recipe looks scrumptuous ...

Thanks for posting.
Kind regards.
Margi.
Margi Cintrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Both in Italy and Spain
Posts: 3,425
Gravy Queen,

Please do. I appreciate it.

I duplicated ur message by accident. Apologies.

Thanks alot.
Margi.
Margi Cintrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,716
Margi, check post #2 here: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ilk-69980.html
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Buttermilk chicken is delicious. It is a favorite way of making fried chicken down South.

Milk as a marinade for any meat makes it more tender and full of flavor. It is the enzymes in the milk that do it. I put about an 1/8 of a cup into a pound of ground beef for hamburgers. The burgers are so tender and juicy. Mix well and let stand for twenty minutes or so. Then add your seasonings. Everyone will be doing a happy dance.

Although they say that baking is an absolute science, knowing some science in cooking can be a great help.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:33 AM   #9
Executive Chef
 
Bolas De Fraile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,191
Addie I would never have thought of that.I will steal your method a claim it as my own on various UK sites
Grimoldi dont you grass me up.
__________________
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:38 AM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Bolas De Fraile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Buttermilk Fried Chicken - recipe from Olive Magazine.

The chicken pieces were marinated overnight in buttermilk, which makes the chicken very soft.

It was then coated in a lovely mix of seasoned flour (I use Doves Farm gluten free flour), paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic salt and dried herbs - oregano and thyme.

The chicken was fried briefly then baked in the oven.

Really tasty and popular with the family.
They look fantastic mate and I applaud your courage mon brav posting a fried chicken recipe in the home land of that fragrant dish
__________________
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:40 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Addie I would never have thought of that.I will steal your method a claim it as my own on various UK sites
Grimoldi dont you grass me up.
Be my guest. I have never been a believer in 'secret family recipes.' If I know of something that will make your food better, then I am very willing to share it. Call it your own if you want to. From here on in, it will be called the "Bolas method." Happy eating.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:17 AM   #12
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Southern UK v rural
Posts: 10
Hi, buttermilk is more than one thing... Best to flick through the wiki article Buttermilk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The lactic bacteria is the same as that used in the making of 'continental' style butter. It also used to be used in the manufacture of St Ivel Lactic Cheese -- a product I adored but was dropped as there was insufficient demand. There is a 'bring back lactic cheese' pressure group, I believe :)
Lemain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #13
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Both in Italy and Spain
Posts: 3,425
Buttermilk: Info & Websites

Thanks to everyone who posted some information on Gravy Queen´s Chicken in Buttermilk recipe.

Appreciate all your time taken out to assist.

Kind regards.
Margi.
Margi Cintrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Thanks to everyone who posted some information on Gravy Queen´s Chicken in Buttermilk recipe.

Appreciate all your time taken out to assist.

Kind regards.
Margi.
Margi, her recipe is the standard recipe of all Southern homes. You add your preferred seasonings to the flour. I prefer Italian herbs, oregano, thyme, etc. with some Parm or Romano cheese. I do not like rosemary, so I never use it. The buttermilk is what makes it so tender and delicious. Some folks double dip. They dip the chicken back into the buttermilk a second time after it has been floured the first time and then back into into the flour again. It makes for a thicker batter. Some folks just fry it until it is done. They don't place it in the oven to finish the cooking. I like her method better. Less time standing at the stove and more health friendly. And it is more likely to be cooked thoroughly. No uncooked meat in the middle as a surprise. This method of fried chicken is also popular for picnics. It is just as delicious cold as hot. If there is any left over after the meal, you find yourself going back an hour later to pick, pick, pick just one more time. It is hard to leave alone, no matter how full you feel. Happy eating!
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #15
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Both in Italy and Spain
Posts: 3,425
@ Addie,

Good Evening and thanks for your assistance. My problem as I had explained earlier is, there is NO buttermilk in Madrid Capital or the Iberian Peninsula for that matter ... They have never even heard of it ! Culturally it is a Southern USA product, similar to a sour milk used for sauces and breads ---

I am going to look at the websites, D.C. Members have sent me ... I might just have to Substitute here in Madrid Capital. I do not believe they have it in Italia either, however, I am still checking ... ( If I can make my own ricotta, perhaps, to make some ? ! Might be too complicated and time consuming. )

I shall keep all posted, as soon as I know, and I have many Chef contacts I am going to speak to later this week.

Kindest.
Margi.
Margi Cintrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
@ Addie,

Good Evening and thanks for your assistance. My problem as I had explained earlier is, there is NO buttermilk in Madrid Capital or the Iberian Peninsula for that matter ... They have never even heard of it ! Culturally it is a Southern USA product, similar to a sour milk used for sauces and breads ---

I am going to look at the websites, D.C. Members have sent me ... I might just have to Substitute here in Madrid Capital. I do not believe they have it in Italia either, however, I am still checking ... ( If I can make my own ricotta, perhaps, to make some ? ! Might be too complicated and time consuming. )

I shall keep all posted, as soon as I know, and I have many Chef contacts I am going to speak to later this week.

Kindest.
Margi.
When we lived in Texas, buttermlk was always on my grocery list. My husband would just pour the whole quart into a pitcher, load it with black peppr, and then drink it right down. I would pass on it. It is a Southern thing. But during the holidays you can buy it up North. Lemon juice in whole mik will give you the same resuts as buttermilk. But good luck in your search for it.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #17
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Both in Italy and Spain
Posts: 3,425
Thanks Addie ... Appreciate all your help.
Margi.
Margi Cintrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #18
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Southern UK v rural
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
@ Addie,

Good Evening and thanks for your assistance. My problem as I had explained earlier is, there is NO buttermilk in Madrid Capital or the Iberian Peninsula for that matter ... They have never even heard of it ! Culturally it is a Southern USA product, similar to a sour milk used for sauces and breads ---

I am going to look at the websites, D.C. Members have sent me ... I might just have to Substitute here in Madrid Capital. I do not believe they have it in Italia either, however, I am still checking ... ( If I can make my own ricotta, perhaps, to make some ? ! Might be too complicated and time consuming. )

I shall keep all posted, as soon as I know, and I have many Chef contacts I am going to speak to later this week.

Kindest.
Margi.
Margi, there are quite a few things like that. For example, I could never find fresh cream in Italy, France or Spain - we lived in that part of the Med for eight years. Marscaponi is the closest we ever got other than from a Brit shop. I think you'll find that the lactic culture is available in powdered form in foil packs. BUT, looking at the Wiki, it depends what you mean by 'buttermilk'. All of the French, Italian and Spanish milk seems to be UHT -- very unpleasant to my taste and usually stabilised with chemicals making it taste even more horrid -- or soured probably with lemon? Personally, it's not to my taste for use alone though I'm sure it has its place in recipes.

Have a look here Lactic Acid Bacteria

BINGO!! Found it for you... Ascott Cheese Cultures and Cheese rennet Fermenta

Dinner at the George V, please, as a token of your appreciation :)

Edit: In Madrid you'll find that the Mercadona fresh milk is truly excellent. Better than most French and Italian south of Genoa and as good as a lot of Swiss and Austrian milk.
Lemain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #19
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Both in Italy and Spain
Posts: 3,425
Lemain: Gratefully Appreciated - Thank You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemain View Post
Margi, there are quite a few things like that. For example, I could never find fresh cream in Italy, France or Spain - we lived in that part of the Med for eight years. Marscaponi is the closest we ever got other than from a Brit shop. I think you'll find that the lactic culture is available in powdered form in foil packs. BUT, looking at the Wiki, it depends what you mean by 'buttermilk'. All of the French, Italian and Spanish milk seems to be UHT -- very unpleasant to my taste and usually stabilised with chemicals making it taste even more horrid -- or soured probably with lemon? Personally, it's not to my taste for use alone though I'm sure it has its place in recipes.

Have a look here Lactic Acid Bacteria

BINGO!! Found it for you... Ascott Cheese Cultures and Cheese rennet Fermenta

Dinner at the George V, please, as a token of your appreciation :)

Edit: In Madrid you'll find that the Mercadona fresh milk is truly excellent. Better than most French and Italian south of Genoa and as good as a lot of Swiss and Austrian milk.
@ Lemain,

Mercadona ... Yes, I am familiar with it as well as El Corte Ingles in Preciados, Carmen and Serrano of course.

So far; I have found that Buttermilk is made with 1 tablespoon fresh Lemon juice and 1/2 Cup Milk and 1/2 cup plain Yogurt or 1 cup Milk and 1 tblsp lemon juice ...

I am still researching ... I just looked at the product that you recommended as well ...

I shall have more time at the weekend to organise and sort all --- I appreciate all your assistance, suggestions and time.

Thanks again.
Have a lovely evening.
Margi. Cintrano.
Margi Cintrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Ya gotta luv DC.

Got a problem? Come here for the answer. And if we don't know it, we will search for it. A simple little statement. "I love the recipe for Buttermilk Chicken, but I can't find buttermilk where I live."

We have provided her with so many solutions that she will be eating Buttermilk Chicken very soon. And she will love every bite.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
buttermilk, chicken, spices

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.