Chicken & Dumplings.. what's your secret?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thats how they make them down here. Biscuit dough. Even canned biscuits are used.
They are okay, but you have to be careful you do not make creamy chicken soup instead of chicken and dumplings.
They tend to disintegrate in the stock if your not careful.

I should have typed "Bisquick Recipe" Not Biscuit. They do fluff up into dumplings. :angel:

Chicken and dumplings

img_1370502_0_066cd0b7ec048819b6ec764cc5ad73d3.jpg

This was the first time I have made this and the family said it was great. Next time I think I will thicken the stock a bit.

I used to have a girlfriend that used the Biscuit recipe, pat the dough into a large square and then cut the dough into smaller squares. She would use an egg turner to pick them up and put in the stock. :angel:
I have yet to make chicken pot pie. Because I'm a little dough challenged (haven't given up yet). I thought a whole wheat biscuit topping would be good. I have a great recipe that turns out nice, high rise, fluffy whole wheat biscuits. I'm thinking I almost don't need a recipe for the rest, but I think a similar type of comfort food to chicken and dumplings.

Ohhh!! How about chicken and dumplings only in a baking dish or pie plate topped with the dumplings? Would that work? Darn! Now I'm hungry and just had a nice lunch.

I never know what to do with chicken and dumplings. Love it, but then I wan't to have mashed potatoes with it... yet it's too much starch. Such a dilemma. ?

Just adding my 2 cents here. I DO NOT like my veggies cooked to death in this dish.

Since Bisquick dumplings take twenty minutes of simmering, I don't add the veggies to the chicken and broth until just before the dumplings. Sometimes I add a can of condensed cream of chicken soup to the chicken and broth for a little creamy thickening.
When the dumplings are done, so are the vegetables.

Last edited:
I have yet to make chicken pot pie. Because I'm a little dough challenged (haven't given up yet). I thought a whole wheat biscuit topping would be good. I have a great recipe that turns out nice, high rise, fluffy whole wheat biscuits. I'm thinking I almost don't need a recipe for the rest, but I think a similar type of comfort food to chicken and dumplings.

Ohhh!! How about chicken and dumplings only in a baking dish or pie plate topped with the dumplings? Would that work? Darn! Now I'm hungry and just had a nice lunch.

I never know what to do with chicken and dumplings. Love it, but then I wan't to have mashed potatoes with it... yet it's too much starch. Such a dilemma. ��
Can you post the whole wheat biscuit recipe? Please.

This was the first time I have made this and the family said it was great. Next time I think I will thicken the stock a bit.
Looks very good! I wonder how many different ways there are for making chicken and dumplings. I leave my chicken pieces whole, or cut in half (breast halves usually). I try to buy nice sized breast halves and cut those in half. Smaller ones I leave whole. Other than onions, spices and fresh herbs, I do my veggies separately. So the dumplings go on top of the liquid, are removed and then I thicken the gravy, and serve with mashed potatoes, a green veggie (I prefer peas) and creamed carrots. This is a dish I reserve for having in the winter. But of course now with all this talk about chicken 'n dumplings, my mouth is watering for chicken 'n dumplings! ?

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried matzo balls for the dumplings. I see the package for the mix at the grocery store and I'm thinking they might work as well. I remember my mother making german style dumplings when I was little and the picture on the package looks very similar.

At Thanksgiving, my aunt used to make a very tasty chicken broth, add Pastina pasta to it and very small Matzo Balls. I always looked forward to it. Everyone got a large cup of the soup with just two Matzo Balls. Then the turkey made the entrance. :angel:

I have a process when it comes to C&D. First I buy a whole chicken, nice size. Put the chicken with nothing else, in a crock pot, lined with a bag. cook all day on low heat. Remove the chicken and drain the juices. De-fat the juice, but not all of it, leave some of the fat. Add water and bring to a boil. I use the Mary Hill frozen dumplings from the grocery. I add them to a rolling boiling pot and then season with salt and pepper. Turn it to med low and simmer until the dumplings are done. If it requires thickening, i use corn starch. I add back the dark meat chicken. Save the white meat to make chicken salad with. Really a liked set of recipes at my house.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried matzo balls for the dumplings. I see the package for the mix at the grocery store and I'm thinking they might work as well. I remember my mother making german style dumplings when I was little and the picture on the package looks very similar.
I haven't tried matzo balls, but I've sure made spaetzle (German dumplings) many times. I make them to go with a Hungarian dish, csirke (pronounced cheer'ka) paprikash (chicken paprika). I make spaetzle to go with it. There is such a thing as Hungarian dumplings (galuska), but they are very similar. Mom made spaetzle, so I've always made spaetzle. But csirke paprikash is the same type of dish as chicken and dumplings. Spices are different of course (Hungarian paprika and then sour cream added to the thickened liquid), but still... one of those comfort foods. Spaetzle is a bit tedious to make, but worth the work. I don't know if they can be found in a mix or already made frozen. But this is what they look like.

Last edited:
I have a process when it comes to C&D. First I buy a whole chicken, nice size. Put the chicken with nothing else, in a crock pot, lined with a bag. cook all day on low heat. Remove the chicken and drain the juices. De-fat the juice, but not all of it, leave some of the fat. Add water and bring to a boil. I use the Mary Hill frozen dumplings from the grocery. I add them to a rolling boiling pot and then season with salt and pepper. Turn it to med low and simmer until the dumplings are done. If it requires thickening, i use corn starch. I add back the dark meat chicken. Save the white meat to make chicken salad with. Really a liked set of recipes at my house.

Thats how its made here too. No vegetables, just chicken and water for the stock and the dumplings.

I still need the recipe for "Popeye"

Thats how its made here too. No vegetables, just chicken and water for the stock and the dumplings.

I still need the recipe for "Popeye"

I go a little nuts with my C&D. First, as with all of my chicken soups, I bone the bird and throw the bones into a pan with the chicken skins and a little salt. Brown them to develop good flavor. Cut a couple stocks of celery and throw it all into a pot with water and lightly boil/simmer for a couple hours, or throw in a pressure cooker for an hour. This results in a broth rich with flavor and collagen. I strain the broth put it back into the pot with sliced carrot, celery, and onion. When the veggies are nearly cooked through, add the dumpling dough, and lightly brown the chicken, which was diced beforehand into small cubes. Divide the meat into the bowls, add the soup, and either top with a dumpling, or serve the dumplings on the side.

the meat is tender and great flavored, no bones to pick out of your mouth, and great tasting soup and veggies.

I have a friend who used to buy a package of chicken wings with which to make his broth. After making the broth and casting aside the chicken wings, then he'd make his soup. Needless to say it was extremely rich in chicken flavor.

I don't like to boil/simmer the whole chicken as it makes the meat bland. I like the meat to be great tasting, and the broth gets great flavor from the browned bones.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I haven't tried matzo balls, but I've sure made spaetzle (German dumplings) many times. I make them to go with a Hungarian dish, csirke (pronounced cheer'ka) paprikash (chicken paprika). I make spaetzle to go with it. There is such a thing as Hungarian dumplings (galuska), but they are very similar. Mom made spaetzle, so I've always made spaetzle. But csirke paprikash is the same type of dish as chicken and dumplings. Spices are different of course (Hungarian paprika and then sour cream added to the thickened liquid), but still... one of those comfort foods. Spaetzle is a bit tedious to make, but worth the work. I don't know if they can be found in a mix or already made frozen. But this is what they look like.

I have used these to make beans and spaetzle. They were pretty good.

img_1370802_1_69b62f2c3f5590573cf9576140617aff.jpg

Speaking of Spaetzle, I have a spaetzlemaker/potato ricer. I haven't made home made spaetzle in ages. I don't even remember the recipe. I just remember that it's a fery loose dough, almost a batter, and you squeeze it through the tool and into a flavorful broth. Anyone have the recipe?

My spastzle maker looks like this - http://www.amazon.com/Kuchenprofi-P...r=8-6&keywords=stainless+steel+spaetzle+maker

Don't put cheesecloth in the bottom and try to juice raspberries in it. It can be done but it more work than a strong man wants to do. I know, because I was a strong man when I did it. Now, well i've lost some strength over the years, but am more experienced. A juicer works better, though it's still a lot of work, at least with my juicer. (-:

Last edited:
I have used these to make beans and spaetzle. They were pretty good.
Wow! Have never seen that. I probably couldn't bring myself to buy them pre-made though. I'm sure that wasn't around many years ago when Mom was making them. I'm sure she would have at least given those a try. If I had kids and hubby all with crazy schedules, a great option, but it's just me. I'd say it's because I'm retired, but I did make them for the family when I was working.

Speaking of Spaetzle, I have a spaetzlemaker/potato ricer. I haven't made home made spaetzle in ages. I don't even remember the recipe. I just remember that it's a fery loose dough, almost a batter, and you squeeze it through the tool and into a flavorful broth. Anyone have the recipe?

My spastzle maker looks like this - Amazon.com: Kuchenprofi Potato Ricer/Spaetzle Press in 18/10 Stainless Steel: Kitchen & Dining

Don't put cheesecloth in the bottom and try to juice raspberries in it. It can be done but it more work than a strong man wants to do. I know, because I was a strong man when I did it. Now, well i've lost some strength over the years, but am more experienced. A juicer works better, though it's still a lot of work, at least with my juicer. (-:

I had a spatzle maker like that and hated it Chief. You can buy one like this Amazon.com: Kuchenprofi Spaetzle Lid & Scraper in 18/10 Stainless Steel: Pasta Makers: Kitchen & Dining

Or you can make a free one like mine with a metal pie pan and a drill. It works great.

And here's a recipe...
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/german-spaetzle-dumplings/

Last edited:
If you want to try Spaetzle before you invest in a specialized piece of equipment you can get by with a box grater, use the large holes. A Foley food mill or a metal colander and a rubber spatula can also be used. I've had it a couple of times, but I never became a fan.

Back
Top Bottom