Chicken and Potatoes with Vinegar Peppers -- TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennyema

Chef Extraordinaire
You can make this in 30 minutes if you really motor …

It’s my adaptation of a couple of Lidia Bastianich recipes

Chicken and Potatoes with Vinegar Peppers

For 2 people

2 chicken breasts cut into large chunks (or use any kind of chicken you want, eg legs)

2 or 3 red potatoes, sliced into ½ in. pieces

2 shallots, sliced or chopped

4 cloves garlic, chopped fine

2-8 cherry peppers (hot) in vinegar, sliced THE # OF PEPPERS DEPENDS ON YOUR TASTE

2T capers

½ cup ripe olives (pitted) -- whatever variety you like best

¼ cup vinegar from peppers or red wine vinegar or mixture of both

½ cup dry white wine

1 cup chicken broth

Good olive oil

Salt and pepper

Season chicken with salt and pepper. In oven-proof skillet (but not cast iron as theis dish is quite acidic) brown the chicken pieces in olive oil quickly over high heat – remove. You do not want to cook chicken through, just brown. Lower heat, add potatoes (you might need a bit more oil) and brown, cooking to nearly done but still firm – remove. Add shallots, garlic, cook for about a minute – don’t let garlic brown. Add peppers, cook for 30 seconds. Add vinegar, reduce by half. When reduced, add white wine – again reduce by half. When reduced, add chix broth, capers, olives, chicken and potatoes. Simmer until liquid is – you got it – is reduced by about half. Check seasoning. Serve alone or over pasta if carbs aren’t a worry.

Lidia uses sliced Itian sausage, too, which I don’t care for, but you might like. You can always add more peppers but it’s hard to take away heat, so I suggest starting with 2 or 3 if you are unsure of the heat level. Add more if you want. I usually add 6-8.

Jen:

I made this for dinner tonight and it was really good. It's going to be a regular. I may try it with sausage next time. Thanks for posting it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom