Chicken livers ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chopped liver. (deli type)

Cook the livers with onions. Add hard cooked eggs and some chopped up pickle. Season with S&P and grind it all up in a FP.
My fav, served on a water biscuit with a glass of chilled Noilly Prat.

Andy mate, if you want to make a trad french sauce for fish that uses white wine use Noilly Prat instead .

Most bases have been skillfully covered, I would add only that I like to chop them and add for the last 10 mins or so to a Bolognese Ragu, or wrap in streaky bacon, skewer like a kebab and grill till pink on the BBQ.

Ouch! Sorry about that. It really isn't too hard to make the real deal. Just takes time. Very rewarding...

Don't apologize, I'm weird. I have read that it will keep in the fridge for 6 months! Do you think that is true? Would certainly make it more worth the time of making it from scratch.

I have read the recipe in Joy of Cooking and Julia Child's The Way to Cook. Would you say it is pretty straight forward? Just take the time and patience and do it?

Don't apologize, I'm weird. I have read that it will keep in the fridge for 6 months! Do you think that is true? Would certainly make it more worth the time of making it from scratch.

I have read the recipe in Joy of Cooking and Julia Child's The Way to Cook. Would you say it is pretty straight forward? Just take the time and patience and do it?

We kept large batches in the fridge for a while. It never sat around for that much time, so I wouldn't know how long it really lasts. It is straight forward, for sure. I make it about once a year and do so over a couple of days. I'll make the stock the night before and then finish it on a day off when I am doing other stuff around the house.

Last edited:
I once had a dish of fried chicken livers served on a bed of mixed greens in a French bistro (not in France, in Florida!). I just dust with seasoned flour as Constance said, but to me important (and a tip I learned here at DC) is that they tend to explode and spatter and it hurts. To stop that, cut each globe in half before flouring. Then serve over a plate of mixed greens (and include some bitter ones) and top with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. I also flour some thinly sliced onions and fry them first, move to a paper towel to drain, then do the livers. Top the entire plate with some of the crisp onions.

Oh, dear, now I have a taste for liver.

Chicken Livers under BEEF ?

Guess I was still thinking of the beef livers thread, which is what got me thinking about chicken livers. Oh well, another oops.:ohmy:

I finally decided to dust them in flour and fry in bacon fat. I'll use my spatter guard in case of "pops".

Lightly fried in some butter with onions, Yum.Simple yet very sutisfying.

Sounds good. I don't really enjoy frying in oil/bacon fat like I did tonight. Once in a while is okay, but I like your idea of saute in butter. I'd probably cook the onions first as I like to add water and cover to cook them done first. I'm not a fan of al dente.

Then again, I'm still toying with the idea of paprikash, which as I recall was cooking the livers in a cream of something soup and adding lots of paprika, and serving on toast points or biscuits.

I have a bunch of new spice blends to try out, chicken livers sound like the best vehicle to do so...yum!!!

OOh, OOh, OOh! I have my new chicken livers recipe.

I nuked the leftovers from yesterday but had decided to make a while sauce for dipping as I knew the flour breading would be soggy. Oh boy! I actually used a Country Gravy mix because I could use water, and I added about a tablespoon of dried green onions (Zatarain's). It tasted wonderful. Next time, when I make the other 1/2#, I'll saute them unbreaded in butter and make the white sauce with dried green onions and put them together. I'll try the paprika with some to check it out as another ingredient, but I'm definitely making this again.

Back
Top Bottom