Chicken Parts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another fan of gizzards, hearts, and livers.

I miss the dirty rice craze.

Spaghetti Alla Caruso I fake it with sauteed chicken livers and a bottle of my favorite sauce.

Roughly chopped/ground gizzards slow cooked with chopped peppers and onions make a great loose meat sandwich. Don't forget the hot sauce!:yum:
Chopped gizzards? I may have to try that. My teeth are the only part of me that doesn't like gizzards. Done right, they are nice and soft, but you always get that one or two that make you worry a bit.

Chopped gizzards? I may have to try that. My teeth are the only part of me that doesn't like gizzards. Done right, they are nice and soft, but you always get that one or two that make you worry a bit.

If you have one of those old silver meat grinders that clamp onto the kitchen table you will be good to go. Grind the raw gizzards, peppers, and onions on the coarse setting. Season the mixture with salt, pepper and Bell's poultry seasoning. Fry until the pink is gone, cover and cook low and slow until the gelatinous parts of the gizzard break down to form a glaze/sauce. I usually finish them in the oven.

This mixture makes a great hot sandwich filling or you can make dirty rice by mixing in two parts white rice to one part gizzards.

I like dark meat, my wife likes white meat. i cook both, and we share. For soup I use only dark meat. Have seen people who use white meet to make soup, what a waist.

If you have one of those old silver meat grinders that clamp onto the kitchen table you will be good to go. Grind the raw gizzards, peppers, and onions on the coarse setting. Season the mixture with salt, pepper and Bell's poultry seasoning. Fry until the pink is gone, cover and cook low and slow until the gelatinous parts of the gizzard break down to form a glaze/sauce. I usually finish them in the oven.

This mixture makes a great hot sandwich filling or you can make dirty rice by mixing in two parts white rice to one part gizzards.
This sounds awesome. I may try this Sunday.

Thighs are our go to as they are usually on sale for .69 a pound for bone in and skin on. Breasts, bl/sl for Three Mustard Chicken and for stuffing. Livers for dirty rice. I like doing wings in the rotisserie basket over wood half splits.

I was talking w/ a friend who had been out scraping the snow off her roof. The snow was falling into the neighbor's yard onto their chicken coop ( 5 F, 1 rooster.) Thought she should be neighborly and go over and remove the fallen snow. The rooster inside the coop put up a real sqwak. I asked, no, the chickens don't go out into their fenced in area in the winter, and yes, they have some heating apparatus/ heat lamps for the birds. So, now you know-- They are warm and cozy.

Our organic farmer- provider does not offer chickens in the winter.

I am a breast man. Dx is into thighs. Our organic seller only sells whole birds, and eggs, in summer. The legs are grilled. We both like cold drumsticks for lunch . Wings grilled. Usually if we want wings, I buy 2-3 lb wings for grilling or oven bbq-d. Try not to look to see if they are hormone free. Pretend they are.

We usually buy chicken parts from Costco and share orders for the freezer.

I could be hungry for baked chicken, gravy and topped with biscuits right now.

I was talking w/ a friend who had been out scraping the snow off her roof. The snow was falling into the neighbor's yard onto their chicken coop ( 5 F, 1 rooster.) Thought she should be neighborly and go over and remove the fallen snow. The rooster inside the coop put up a real sqwak. I asked, no, the chickens don't go out into their fenced in area in the winter, and yes, they have some heating apparatus/ heat lamps for the birds. So, now you know-- They are warm and cozy.

Our organic farmer- provider does not offer chickens in the winter.

I am a breast man. Dx is into thighs. Our organic seller only sells whole birds, and eggs, in summer. The legs are grilled. We both like cold drumsticks for lunch . Wings grilled. Usually if we want wings, I buy 2-3 lb wings for grilling or oven bbq-d. Try not to look to see if they are hormone free. Pretend they are.

We usually buy chicken parts from Costco and share orders for the freezer.

I could be hungry for baked chicken, gravy and topped with biscuits right now.

And because the days are much shorter in the winter, their egg production goes way down. In the summer we always had eggs for breakfast. In the winter Cream of Wheat, Oatmeal or cold cereal. What few eggs they might lay in the winter, were always for baking. The rule was, "keep the chickens inside and a light on. It was the light that would encourage them to give us an egg every so often.

I am getting a little tired of chicken.

Fajitas. There's a Mexican market 10 mikes away that has chicken spiced fajita meat.

I get fixing up that kind of chicken dinner, now and then. Not bad. Flour tortillas, canned refried beans, tortilla chips. Jarred salsa.

Last edited:
I'll give it a go, pounding out a skinless breast fillet. Making it not so thick. Thanks. I knew my seldom used spike meat hammer would one day be useful again.

Caslon, hopefully your meat hammer also has a smooth side to pound out that chicken breast. The "spikes" would just tear up the breast.

Back
Top Bottom