Chicken Parts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Joel gave me an idea for a new discussion question.

:chicken:Do you choose to cook with breasts or thighs and why?

:chicken:Is that an exclusive preference?

:chicken:How do you feel about wings and drum sticks?

I cook with all parts except wings. They're too fiddly to eat, for me.

DH prefers dark meat so I often roast thighs. Sometimes I roast bone-in skin-on breasts for lunch meat. I use boneless skinless breasts for quick-cooking dishes. I don't mind drumsticks, and DH loves them, so I make them occasionally, but I'm not crazy about all the connective tissue. I do save the bones and tendons for stock, though.

When I buy a whole chicken, the backs and wing tips go to stock.

Last edited:
Whether or not we prefer legs, thighs, etc., our biggest challenge is to purchase poultry that hasn't been treated with hormones and antibiotics. Glenn won't eat anything that has been tampered with and neither do I.

Just FYI, processors are not permitted to add hormones to poultry.

Hormones are not allowed in chicken sold in the USA. If you see chicken labeled "no hormones added", that's just a gimmick to make you think its better than other chicken. Like a label that says "no cholesterol" on a jar of apricot jam.

On the other hand, you may see chicken packages with "15% solution added" or similar.

I bought some low cost brand of skinless chicken breast fillets that when cooked had the taste and texture of rubberized tofu. So there must be differences in the quality of chickens raised and processed.

Last edited:
Interesting.. I have seen a few posts referring to canned chicken.. I have never bought it.. I'll have to give it a try..

Ross

The canned chicken breast is just the right size for two meals, saves me time and the cats love the broth it is canned in. Look for it near the tuna in the store.

We do whichever is cheaper at the time. If I do breasts, I pound them out a bit and marinate for a couple hours. Thighs are good to go as is.

Favorite part though is gizzards. Yummy things those bitty bits.

Interesting.. I have seen a few posts referring to canned chicken.. I have never bought it.. I'll have to give it a try..

Ross

One year I was making a summer picnic for my daughter's backyard. I bought a couple of small cans, drained them well, and it made for a fairly tasty chicken salad sandwich. Mixed with finely diced onions and celery, it all disappeared.

Would I do it again? Certainly. It consisted mostly of white breast meat. Not my favorite part of the chicken. But when doctored up, it wasn't bad. And I am also not a big fan of bread either. I had my sandwich from a hearty loaf of Italian bread. As did most of her guests.

We do whichever is cheaper at the time. If I do breasts, I pound them out a bit and marinate for a couple hours. Thighs are good to go as is.

Favorite part though is gizzards. Yummy things those bitty bits.

Ahhh..another question I should have included VH!

:chicken:How do you feel about chicken giblets?

I like the heart, gizzard and liver but husband doesn't. I always include them on the side for a "cooks treat" when roasting a chicken.

I like the heart, gizzard and liver but husband doesn't. I always include them on the side for a "cooks treat" when roasting a chicken.

No thank you... Innards are't my faves.. :)
No chicken lips either.. :ermm:

Ross

No, sorry. Neither of us likes chicken organs, so our cats get a sautéed treat when we have them.

Another fan of gizzards, hearts, and livers.

I miss the dirty rice craze.

Spaghetti Alla Caruso I fake it with sauteed chicken livers and a bottle of my favorite sauce.

Roughly chopped/ground gizzards slow cooked with chopped peppers and onions make a great loose meat sandwich. Don't forget the hot sauce!:yum:

The only time I cook giblets is for Thanksgiving dinner. (the liver gets tossed :ohmy::))

I simmer the heart and gizzard and finely chop them to add to the dressing. I usually strain and add some of that simmering liquid to the dressing, and save some for the gravy.

Joel gave me an idea for a new discussion question.

:chicken:Do you choose to cook with breasts or thighs and why?

:chicken:Is that an exclusive preference?

:chicken:How do you feel about wings and drum sticks?

I like to cook with breasts. Of course, mine aren't exactly removable, so I don't really have much choice. OHHHH, you mean CHICKEN breasts. Well, yes, I cook with those, too, and that's pretty exclusive. I'll make drumsticks every once in a while, but I've never found enough meat on wings to make cooking and eating them worth it. Maybe I was just buying wings off of skinny chickens.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom