Chicken Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

naledi

Assistant Cook
I'm receiving my in-laws as guests in a week or two for dinner.All information i gathered this far from my husband is that they really like chicken stew. I've never really cooked this before.Can anybody help me with some ideas and ingredients needed to make the stew? What other dishes can i serve it with? or is it best served on its own?:chef:

I'm receiving my in-laws as guests in a week or two for dinner.All information i gathered this far from my husband is that they really like chicken stew. I've never really cooked this before.Can anybody help me with some ideas and ingredients needed to make the stew? What other dishes can i serve it with? or is it best served on its own?:chef:
Depending on what is in the stew you could serve French (string) beans, or steamed broccoli or some other green veg and what about potato or pasta or even rice on the side?

Perhaps you could show your husband a few of the pictures on the site Hoot recommended and ask him which looks most like his mothers.

Of course, there is a problem when serving your M-I-L's speciality dish. You may do it better than she does and if your F-I-L compliments you on it you may make an enemy for life:LOL:

Good luck with the event. It can be a bit nerve racking the first time your in laws come to for a meal.

Last edited:
Depending on what is in the stew you could serve French (string) beans, or steamed broccoli or some other green veg and what about potato or pasta or even rice on the side?

Perhaps you could show your husband a few of the pictures on the site Hoot recommended and ask him which looks most like his mothers.

Of course, there is a problem when serving your M-I-L's speciality dish. You may do it better than she does and if your F-I-L compliments you on it you may make an enemy for life:LOL:

Good luck with the event. It can be a bit nerve racking the first time your in laws come to for a meal.
Yup. I wouldn't do the chicken stew. Nope, not me. :chicken:

Years ago a friend, whom I had cooked for many times, suggested that to thank me, she would make her "family" recipe chicken stew. She assured me it was the best chicken stew EVER.

It was disgusting! A slimy, tasteless swamp. :sick:

You obviously know they like chicken - and "wet" food. Do you not have a good chicken recipe that you feel confident about that you could use? Better that than to try to replicate something that will never match their expectations.

Plus, who is to say that just because their son says they like chicken stew, that they wouldn't like to try something different!

What we need is to hear more from naledi - but she is probably asleep right now!

Naledi - a couple of questions:

Where are your in-laws coming from?

What sort of food are you comfortable cooking?

(And did you watch The Ultimate Braai Master?) (Okay that was off-topic but I was just interested to know.) :)

I'm off to bed!

Whether it is your in-laws or company, it is no time to experiment with a dish you don't have experience with. I would suggest you make what you are familiar with and know you can make a killer meal of your own. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom