Chicken Vesuvio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
attachment.php

I usually use 3 or 4 thighs since it's just me and Craig, but make 3/4 of the recipe sauce. I use a few more potatoes too, plus bread to soak up the sauce.

Also, if it needs to sit for a while, hold off on finishing the sauce and putting the peas in. Otherwise, they turn that gray-green color. Learned that the hard way.

Ingredients

1 Whole Cut Up Chicken or 3 pounds of thighs
10 whole garlic cloves
2 cups White Wine
16 Potato Wedges
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 Tbsp fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, cut into 2-3 pieces
1 cup Sweet Peas, defrosted if frozen
Oil for Frying

Directions

Preheat oven to 400-degrees F.

Heat a large heavy-bottomed skillet or dutch oven over medium heat with the oil.

Liberally season the chicken with salt and pepper and place in the skillet skin side down to sear. Allow the chicken to cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown without disturbing it. Remove the chicken.

Place the potato wedges in the pan and sautee for about 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned on each side, turning as needed. Add in the garlic cloves and let caramelize for a few minutes. Remove the potatoes.

Pour in the white wine to deglaze the pan, scraping the bottom to make sure all the bits loosen. If you are using DRIED oregano, place it in the pan now.

Add the chicken (skin side up) and then lay the potato wedges in the pan and place the whole pan in a 400 degree oven uncovered. Cook for about 20 minutes until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees

Remove pan from the oven and place back on the stovetop burner, then remove the chicken and potatoes and place them on your serving dish.. Bring the skillet back to a simmer, add the butter, FRESH oregano if using, and peas and cook, stirring constantly, until a silky smooth sauce has formed. Taste and add salt and/or pepper if needed.

Pour the sauce over the chicken and potatoes, then serve.

Last edited:
This is a great method for making a braised chicken dish with juicy meat and crispy skin. There are lots of ways to season it, too. It's very similar to Kay's Greek Thighs [emoji16] (That name always makes me laugh [emoji23])

Oh, I didn't mention. You don't have to use all wine. Sometimes I use part chicken broth.

This sounds absolutely delightful! Warm and comforting. It also sounds like it has a lot of room to make various versions. Thank you for posting it!

Sounds delish - copy and store - maybe after I move?

ps, I saved it right beside the recipe you posted in Dec. of '19! LOL but there was no picture. and I think I even made it once maybe twice. Great recipe - no wonder I saved it twice! :LOL:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom