Chicken Wing Rut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
We're in a chicken wing rut. we almost always make wings with buffalo wing sauce. To be honest, we both like wings that way so it's not a real issue except I feel like we're in a rut.

Please share your favorite non-buffalo wing recipes. I usually grill the wings.

Last edited:
We're in a chicken wing rut. we almost always make wings with buffalo wing sauce. To be honest, we both like wings that way so it's not a real issue except I feel like we're in a rut.

Please share your favorite non-buffalo wing recipes. I usually grill the wings.

Here's one I posted 6 years ago:

I was just experimenting tonight and came up with this. My wife and I both loved it so I thought I'd share. Despite the Scotch bonnet pepper, it wasn't terribly spicy.

Coconut Lime Wings

2 lbs Chicken wings - tips removed (I freeze the tips for my next stock or chicken soup)
2 limes - zested and juiced
1/2 cup Coconut Rum (could probably use coconut milk if you want to avoid the alcohol, although this doesn't really leave any of the liquor behind)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tbs honey
1 hot pepper (or more to taste - I use Scotch bonnets or habeñeros)

1. Mix marinade ingredients together, pour over wings. Mix well in a bowl then seal in a plastic bag. Refrigerate for 2-4 hours. Preheat oven to 375. Line a half sheet pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. Arrange wings on the sheet, then discard marinade. Bake for 45 minutes. (for a little more sear, bake for 30-35 minutes then turn oven to 450 for about 5 minutes.) They can just as easily be grilled.

I experiment often with these so I'm always changing a little here and there.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head:
Honey mustard wings

Honey sesame wings

Smouldering wings (I have the recipe if you want it)

Marinate in soy sauce, brown sugar, 5-spice powder, garlic, and vinegar, dips in egg-wash, roll in Panko Breadcrumbs

Same as above, but coated with Tempura batter

Season with old bay and a bit of red peper

Deep-fry and serve with sweet & sour sauce (pineapple, or lemon, or orange based)

Chicken wings, separated at the joints and fried, placed on top of a bed of pasta, then topped with a Ragu.

Sauteed in butter and garlic, with fresh mushrooms of choice, served with a fragrant rice

In chicken soup with barley

Pan-fried chicken wings coated with seasoned flour - Seasoned flour recipe: 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic powder
1/8 tsp. powdered ginger
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1/4 tsp. rubbed sage
1/4 tsp. ground thyme
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. tumeric
1/8 tsp. red pepper
1 dash Chinese 5-spice powder
1/8 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. granulated onion powder

Dredge moist wings through the flour, let rest for a minute, then into egg wash, again into the flour. Let rest for 5 minutes on a wire rack to insure that the chicken coating adheres to the chicken wings.

Baked/roasted with simple salt, pepper, and garlic seasoning. Serve with boiled and mashed sweet spuds and butter, and something green.

That's all I have at the moment. Hope it helps.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the north

Glad you started this Andy as I'm in a grilled wing rut too. Lots of good ideas so far.

We love grilled wings!

I think my favorite way is to marinate them in Lawry's Hawaiian Marinade (good stuff) and added fresh lime juice, with a healthy glob of Sriracha. I save back some of the mixture to baste them during grilling.

I love orange marmalade sriracha hot wings but got tired of doing them. That's all I did for a while after picking up a case of orange marmalade when they had the large jars on sale for like half off a few years back.

I make a sauce that I use as a dip for grilled shrimp and have used on wings. It is just mayo, sweet chili sauce and siracha. Still on the hot wing side just a different flavor.

I use a tsp of this jerk seasoning with some melted butter..it makes a real nice chickon wang....
31tM6txDPlL.jpg

Here's one I posted 6 years ago:

I was just experimenting tonight and came up with this. My wife and I both loved it so I thought I'd share. Despite the Scotch bonnet pepper, it wasn't terribly spicy.

Coconut Lime Wings

2 lbs Chicken wings - tips removed (I freeze the tips for my next stock or chicken soup)
2 limes - zested and juiced
1/2 cup Coconut Rum (could probably use coconut milk if you want to avoid the alcohol, although this doesn't really leave any of the liquor behind)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tbs honey
1 hot pepper (or more to taste - I use Scotch bonnets or habeñeros)

1. Mix marinade ingredients together, pour over wings. Mix well in a bowl then seal in a plastic bag. Refrigerate for 2-4 hours. Preheat oven to 375. Line a half sheet pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. Arrange wings on the sheet, then discard marinade. Bake for 45 minutes. (for a little more sear, bake for 30-35 minutes then turn oven to 450 for about 5 minutes.) They can just as easily be grilled.

I experiment often with these so I'm always changing a little here and there.

These do sound good! May have to try something along these lines.

Glad you started this Andy as I'm in a grilled wing rut too. Lots of good ideas so far.

We love grilled wings!

I think my favorite way is to marinate them in Lawry's Hawaiian Marinade (good stuff) and added fresh lime juice, with a healthy glob of Sriracha. I save back some of the mixture to baste them during grilling.
And I am the beneficiary;)

Pier 66 Wings

This is a pretty close recipe to the actual restaurants.:yum:

10 chicken wings
1/2 cup orange marmalade
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup toasted coconut
7 scallions, white part finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)

Cut the chicken wings apart at the joint. Cut off wing tips and discard. You should have 20 wing drumettes. Place them in a single layer, skin side up, on a greased baking sheet. Bake in a 425-degree oven for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the marmalade, soy sauce and garlic in a large bowl. When the wings have cooked for 15 minutes, place them in the bowl and toss to cover with marmalade mixture. Using tongs, return them to the baking sheet.

Bake for another 20 minutes or until they turn golden brown, frequently basting with the marmalade mixture. When wings are browned, sprinkle them with coconut and scallions.

To toast coconut: Place coconut in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees until golden, about 15 minutes.

This is an appetizer, but a salad and confetti rice would make a pretty good meal. Make sure you use jasmine rice!

And also, with the wing prices so high I only do them (actually buy them and freeze them) when my local supermarket puts them (Foster Farms) on sale at 50% off like every other month on average. The sale price brings them below Costco's wing price, for instance.

Back
Top Bottom