Chicken wings recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
luv2cook35 said:
If you can tolerate a not "from scratch" recipe, my family loves chicken wings baked with a combo of apricot preserves and dry onion soup mix. Mix equal amounts (1 jar preserves to one package soup mix) :chicken::yum:and coat wings in a non-reactive bowl. Bake at 350 on a foil lined pan, turning often, for one hour. They make a sticky mess in the pan and on your hands, but fall off the bone and please old and young alike.

This sounds yummy. Since I'm only cooking for one, how would I adjust this recipe? I usually buy a package of about 6 wings.

Timothy said:
To me, it is the same odor as a septic tank. It smells like human waste to me. The more bad it is, the stronger the odor.

I can tell the second the package is opened.

I guess I should throw it out if the smell is the slightest bit off' I washed the chicken, hoping that would solve the problem but it didn't :(

If you can tolerate a not "from scratch" recipe, my family loves chicken wings baked with a combo of apricot preserves and dry onion soup mix. Mix equal amounts (1 jar preserves to one package soup mix) :chicken::yum:and coat wings in a non-reactive bowl. Bake at 350 on a foil lined pan, turning often, for one hour. They make a sticky mess in the pan and on your hands, but fall off the bone and please old and young alike.

I use the apricot preserves and chipotle in adobo as a glaze...quite tasty, sweet and spicy! I was spending top dollar for this already pre-made from the butcher shop at our Whole Foods type store, I finally asked what the glaze was and they told me. Saves me a $1.50 a pound!

I guess I should throw it out if the smell is the slightest bit off' I washed the chicken, hoping that would solve the problem but it didn't :(

The odor of bad chicken also makes my nose tingle. Like something is irritating it. Yes, if you think it's bad, toss it. Your life is worth a lot more than a few pounds of poultry.

PrincessFiona60 said:
I use the apricot preserves and chipotle in adobo as a glaze...quite tasty, sweet and spicy! I was spending top dollar for this already pre-made from the butcher shop at our Whole Foods type store, I finally asked what the glaze was and they told me. Saves me a $1.50 a pound!

What is chipotle in adobo? Is that a for spice mix?

Timothy said:
The odor of bad chicken also makes my nose tingle. Like something is irritating it. Yes, if you think it's bad, toss it. Your life is worth a lot more than a few pounds of poultry.

It definitely is :)

Hope you like it - kids sure do. Just make sure the wings are fresh - I've never had that problem. I usually buy 5 lb. bags from a local meat supplier that sells to retail markets - I guess I get them on the front end of the supply chain.

Ummm - not sure how to adjust down - and I don't use chipotle sauce - maybe you will get some better answers. I usually do @ 3 lbs. of wings, so maybe 1/2 apricot, 1/2 soup mix?? Might be too much for 6 wings - you could reserve the reserves and close up the soup mix in a zip-loc bag for future use.

luv2cook35 said:
Ummm - not sure how to adjust down - and I don't use chipotle sauce - maybe you will get some better answers. I usually do @ 3 lbs. of wings, so maybe 1/2 apricot, 1/2 soup mix?? Might be too much for 6 wings - you could reserve the reserves and close up the soup mix in a zip-loc bag for future use.

It's a challenge to cook for one because so many recipes are designed for a 4-6 people.

No recipe. My Winter Chix Wings technique, no grilling. Separate wings and save the tips for stock if you wiish. Line a jelly roll type pan with sides with Foil. Then make a 2nd sheet of foil in a raised pattern like this ^_^_^ to fit the pan. Place wings leaning up across the "V's". You can stagger them one on each side and lean them up teepee style. I forget if a standard bag of frozen wings is 2 or 3 lbs. For me, it takes two pans to bake a bag of wings. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes. Remove from oven. With tongs, put the wings on a plate. Pour off accumulated juice. Turn wings around so other side now faces out. Pull the 2nd pan out of oven and repeat. Bake addional 30 minutes. Remove wings to plate again. Remove the raised bed foil. Lay wings in the bottom of the Lined pan and brush or spoon glaze over. Bake 10-15 minutes and glaze again. I tried to put all the wings on one pan when it came to glazing time. It was too many and crowded for the size of my pans, which are 10 x 14?, jelly roll types.

If there is enough glaze, brush again just before serving on a platter. These are not crispy, but sticky. And yes, this is a long baking time for little wings. They are still juicy flavorful and messy.

My favorite glaze, no recipe, is a combo of pineapple juice, finely grated onion, garlic, Ginger, brown sugar, lemon zest, hot pepper flakes or Tiger sauce (bottled), or Tabasco, sometimes soy sauce, sometimes not, worcestershire, or not, black pepper, I use either canned natural or frozen pineapple juice concentrate. Chop the things that need chopping, pour the juice in a pan and all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook down Stirring until it gets thick and syruppy looking. Cool and taste.

Back
Top Bottom