Chinese sweet and sour (to start with)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otuatail

Senior Cook
Hi there. I am wondering if anyone can suggest something like chinless. I love Indian cooking and have my own recipes. With this virus going around I got a lot of chicken breast fillets and jars of sweet and sour sauce. Years since I have been to a Chinese restaurant and under the current climate not likely to happen for a ,long while. Can anyone suggest anything else I could add to this like sliced bell peppers and more. It just feels like it needs something but I can't think what. I am in the UK but I believe I can get these things as most people in the UK are more interested in toilet rolls.

Thanks. TIA Desmond.

P.S. There are chinese supermarkets here in York(UK) but not available as traveling to get food has to be for essentials and the long distance here and not seen as urgent would not be allowed.

Last edited:
Not sure if this will help or not but here's my take on Sweet and Sour.

Ms. Mofet's Sweet and Sour Chicken (or Pork)

080511_sweet_sour_pork.jpg

Chicken egg rolls, or wontons with pineapple sweet and sou:

Egg Roll Filling:
1 whole chicken fryer, deboned and small dice.
1 can doced eayer chestnuts
1 can bamboo shoots
2 stalks celery, thin scliced
1 onion, nminced
1 tbs. Fesh hround giger
1/8 tsp. Chinese 5-spicce
4 cloves garlic, crushed
4 tbs. Good soy sauce
1 pkg. Egg roll, or wonton skin2 cups fresh bean sprouts

Sweet & Sour Sauce
Bones and skin from chicken
4 cups water
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
Rice wine, or white vinegar
1/4 cup minced inion
Soy sauce
2 cloves cruahed garlic
1 smidgeon Chines 5-sice powder
1/4 tsp. Dried ginger
14 oz. Crushed pineapple in juice

Heat fring pan and place bones and skin in it to brow. Season with salt to taste. Temove the bonrs and skin to a 2 quart saucepan. Add water and brin to a simmer. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.

Chop veggis into small dice
Add them to the same frying pan used to brown the skin and bones. Saute lightly, but leave mildly crunchy. Remove to a bowl and add 5-spce, ginger, and soy sauce. Stir to combine. Saute chicken cubes unti lightly browned. Add to veggie. Stir well to combine.

Add a half cup water to a bowl and place on table. Remove skin and bones from the simmering water. Seaon with soy sauce, ginger,and 5-spice.
Add crushed pineapple and brown sugar
Sloly stor in vinegar, tasing as you go untol you achieve the flavor you want. Make a slurry from 3 tbs. Corn starcj an d 3 tbs. water
Slowly stir into boiling sweet and sour sauce. Cover and turn off heat.

Lay out egg roo, or wonton skis as you use them. Place filling onto skis as shown on pkg. directions. Fold according to pkg. directios
Fry in hot oil until lightly bround and crispy. Drain on paper towels. Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Cjif Longwind of the North

Hi Thanks for these. I am cheating by using supermarket sweet n sour sauce. will have a go some time later but for now, bell pepper red/green, carrots and peas. Not sure about the chestnuts! never had them before and never seen them in any supermarket. But the bamboo shoots if I can get to a chinese supermarket without getting fined by the police.

Usually the water chestnuts are found in the same location as the bamboo shoots. Usually come canned ( whole or sliced), and by me, many times the cans are same size and shape as the bamboo shoots.

Can get them fresh also, but usually I only see them fresh when I go to a Chinatown in a city, but some smaller Asian markets have them as well.

IF you're going to a Chinese Supermarket, Id actually be shocked if they didn't have them. In general , water chestnuts are more of a texture thing than a taste. I love them.

Thanks. I never thought of tinned chestnuts and bamboo. Just checked online Tesco(uk). Both in stock. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom