Cider Glazed Hen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abjcooking

Head Chef
I created this recipe tonight and it came out fantastic.

ciderglazedhen8vq.jpg

Flatten the Hen
This is optional, but it will hold more of the juices as it cooks which makes a difference.
Take out the backbone. Then turn over the bird and push with your palm to flatten it. You will notice under the legs there is some extra skin. Make a slit in that skin, twist the legs under and push the legs through. This will hold the legs in. Then tuck under the wings.

Brine Hen
Put 1/4 cup sugar in a bowl with 1 1/2 T. kosher salt. Now add 1/2 cup very hot water. Swish hot water around until salt and sugar have dissolved. Now add 7 1/2 cups cold water. Make sure the mixture is room temperature, add some dried thyme and put hens into the brine. Leave in for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Cook Hen
Pat hen somewhat dry and place in a casserole dish. Drizzle some lemon juice over the hen. Take some butter and rub it well into the skin. Take 2 fresh sage leaves and lay on top. Now in a cup mix together 1 cup apple cider and 1 cup pomegranate cider. Brush a little onto chicken. Bake chicken on 475 until skin is brown and juices run clear. Continue to baste with cider throughout cooking. Don't baste within last 5 minutes.

Let hen rest
Take hen out of oven and let sit for a few minutes to let the juices settle. While it is sitting baste it with the juices from the bottom of the pan.

Hen comes out really juicy with a little fruity sweetness in the skin.

Thanks guys, it was a wonderful dish and it was the first time I ever flattened a hen so I was pretty excited about that. I have recently been taking pictures of some of my dishes for my own recipe album because I think it brings the recipe to life so I thought I would share it.

Back
Top Bottom