Cindi's Oven Barbecued Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Domestic Goddess

Senior Cook
"I love this oven barbecued chicken, and even more so than the chicken that's been cooked on the grill. I bake the chicken without the skin, so the barbecue sauce will adhere to the chicken. For this recipe, you can use as many pieces of chicken as you'd like, and the desired amount of barbecue sauce as well. Total baking time for this recipe will be: 1 hour."

001.JPG

About 4 lbs. of chicken (6 thighs and 6 drumsticks)
salt, sprinkle on desired amount
black pepper, sprinkle on desired amount
1 (18 oz.) bottle barbecue sauce (*See note)

Line one 14-inch pizza pan in a criss-cross pattern, with 2 layers of aluminum foil, then spray the foil-lined pan with a non-stick cooking spray. (You can also use a baking sheet (with sides) to bake the chicken on it.)

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Remove the skin and any excess fat from the chicken, and season both sides of chicken with a bit of salt and pepper.

Place chicken on the pizza pan or baking sheet (meaty side down), and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.

Remove pan from the oven, turn chicken over, then place the pan back in the oven, and continue to bake the chicken for 15 minutes.

Remove pan from the oven, turn chicken over (meaty side down), and top the chicken with the barbecue sauce. Place the pan back in the oven, and continue to bake for 15 minutes.

Once again, remove pan from the oven, turn chicken over, and coat the other side of the chicken with more of the barbecue sauce. Return the pan to the oven, and finish baking the chicken for 15 minutes.

Place chicken on serving platter, serve, and enjoy!

*Note: The types of bbq sauce I have used for this recipe... Sweet Baby Ray's, Hunt's, Kraft's, and KC Masterpiece. All are thick in consistency, and makes the chicken taste great!

I'm the opposite. If it isn't done low and slow on the smoker, it isn't BBQ. Heck even grilled over hardwood charcoal would yield a much better flavor than any oven could possibly give, IMO.

Last edited:
I'm the opposite. If it isn't done low and slow on the smoker, it isn't BBQ. Heck even grilled over hardwood charcoal would yield a much better flavor than any oven could possibly give, IMO.

I also find that removing the skin just dries out the chicken as it cooks. I almost never buy skinless breasts any more unless I need to pound it out, or it gets cut up and cooked in the dish I'm preparing. The split breasts with bone and skin cook so much nicer. You can cook in the skin, then remove it to finish or serve and the meat is no fattier than it would be if cooked without the skin.

I have a problem with discarding the skin though, because crispy skin is the best part of the chicken. Just ask the judges on Chopped! :yum:

I'm a dark meat guy anyway, so I only do breasts out of a duty to my body. :angel: When I want the best flavor, I do legs, thighs or wings (wings are mostly white meat, but there is so much surface area that whatever you flavor them with gets into every bite).

Craig, you might be surprised how much smoky flavor you can get from using smoked paprika or chipotle powder in a barbecue rub or sauce. I've made ribs in the oven with smoked paprika and DH wanted to know how they got that great flavor :yum: That was before we got our smoker.

And Rick - she's using legs and thighs not breasts. I love chicken skin, too, but sometimes a change of pace is nice. Baking the sauce directly on the meat this way would make a nicely lacquered surface.

Last edited:
Craig, you might be surprised how much smoky flavor you can get from using smoked paprika or chipotle powder in a barbecue rub or sauce. I've made ribs in the oven with smoked paprika and DH wanted to know how they got that great flavor :yum: That was before we got our smoker.

And Rick - she's using legs and thighs not breasts. I love chicken skin, too, but sometimes a change of pace is nice. Baking the sauce directly on the meat this way would make a nicely lacquered surface.

I'm aware of that, but removing the skin before cooking will still dry the meat out. Adding barbecue sauce after the meat is already dried out doesn't help. If I was to remove the skin, I would not do it until right before I put on the sauce.

To each his own but I have a family pack of drumsticks in the freezer right now, and however I grill them, it will be with the skin on.

Last edited:
I wanted to let everyone know, when I bake the chicken in the oven, and without the skin, it really doesn't dry out as much as you'd think. Not sure if baking it at 350ºF is a factor here, but my husband has stated... that the chicken does not taste dry. Believe me, if it was, he'd surely let me know.

The reason why I bake this without the skin, the bbq sauce is pretty much gone after you eat the skin, as the sauce just lays on top the skin, then your left with just the meat and no sauce. I remove the skin so I can actually taste the barbecue sauce with each bite I take, as it does adhere to the skin nicely. I don't care for the taste of (bone-in) bbq grilled chicken. The skin isn't crispy, most of the bbq sauce is cooked off on the grill, and I also worry if the chicken is undercooked, where as when the chicken is baked in the oven for an hour, I never have to worry about it not being cooked through.

If you use a dry rub and don't sauce until the end, you will be able to have crispy skin. Folks who set up the fire without using a two zone set up will most often end up with burnt skin. Especially if they sauce way too early. If you actually BBQ the chicken low and slow, IMO, you will not want to "BBQ" in the oven again.

If that's the way you like it, you should do it that way.

Please understand that we're not trying to argue with you, but only voice the way we like our chicken done and it may not be the same idea as yours.

Personally, if I was using your method I'd be making my own barbecue sauce and not store bought. Just sayin..;)

If you use a dry rub and don't sauce until the end, you will be able to have crispy skin. If you actually BBQ the chicken low and slow, IMO, you will not want to "BBQ" in the oven again.

CraigC, I don't do the grilling, my husband does, and we don't make or use dry rubs, but I will keep your tip in mind "you use a dry rub and don't sauce until the end, you will be able to have crispy skin." Thanks for the tip CraigC!!

The reason I make bbq chicken in the oven, I know I'll never use the grill to make it, and I thought this was any easy way for those who don't have a grill, to make it in the oven and still get that yummy bbq tasted chicken.

If that's the way you like it, you should do it that way.

Personally, if I was using your method I'd be making my own barbecue sauce and not store bought. Just sayin..;)

Please understand that we're not trying to argue with you, but only voice the way we like our chicken done and it may not be the same idea as yours.

Kayelle, the reason I prepare my bbq chicken this way... it was the only way (and an easy way) for me to enjoy it, and without having to start up the grill. Using any grill, scares the heck out of me, and the fact that I'm no good at using it. I leave all that up to my husband. And with hubby it's all trial and error, and he never uses a recipe.

As for the bbq sauce, our family loves a good thick sauce, and our preference is SWEET BABY RAY'S, and when you can purchase it anywhere for 79 - 99 cents, that a deal not to pass up. My pantry is stocked with this bbq sauce. I don't think the home made sauces can compare (taste-wise nor texture-wise) to SWEET BABY RAY'S.

Also, I don't take offence to anyone who expresses their opinion. They are entitled to they'res, as I am as well, and I don't think anyone here was arguing with me. I didn't take it that way!

Miss Cindi if I'm ever way, way up in your neck of the woods, I'd be happy to snag 3 or 2 pieces of that chicken!! What do your serve with it? Tator salad?

Miss Cindi if I'm ever way, way up in your neck of the woods, I'd be happy to snag 3 or 2 pieces of that chicken!! What do your serve with it? Tator salad?

We usually have Mashed Potato Salad, or Microwave Baked Potatoes with Butter, Sour Cream and Chives, or If I'm feelin' lazy, Festival Foods Yellow Mustard Potato Salad. It tastes so much like my daughter's Amish Potato Salad. Both tastes sooo good!!

Last edited:
Cindi, as a gal who never grilled in my "previous life", I felt like you then.

Nothing scares me in my new life, certainly not grilling, and I enjoy it more than I can say. I like my alone time with my book, music and glass of wine. Bliss.
You really should try it sometime. ;)
I've never found a store barbecue sauce I like, and don't care for sweet sauce, so I make my own and it's delicious to us.

"I love this oven barbecued chicken, and even more so than the chicken that's been cooked on the grill. I bake the chicken without the skin, so the barbecue sauce will adhere to the chicken. For this recipe, you can use as many pieces of chicken as you'd like, and the desired amount of barbecue sauce as well. Total baking time for this recipe will be: 1 hour."

001.JPG

About 4 lbs. of chicken (6 thighs and 6 drumsticks)
salt, sprinkle on desired amount
black pepper, sprinkle on desired amount
1 (18 oz.) bottle barbecue sauce (*See note)

Line one 14-inch pizza pan in a criss-cross pattern, with 2 layers of aluminum foil, then spray the foil-lined pan with a non-stick cooking spray. (You can also use a baking sheet (with sides) to bake the chicken on it.)

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Remove the skin and any excess fat from the chicken, and season both sides of chicken with a bit of salt and pepper.

Place chicken on the pizza pan or baking sheet (meaty side down), and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.

Remove pan from the oven, turn chicken over, then place the pan back in the oven, and continue to bake the chicken for 15 minutes.

Remove pan from the oven, turn chicken over (meaty side down), and top the chicken with the barbecue sauce. Place the pan back in the oven, and continue to bake for 15 minutes.

Once again, remove pan from the oven, turn chicken over, and coat the other side of the chicken with more of the barbecue sauce. Return the pan to the oven, and finish baking the chicken for 15 minutes.

Place chicken on serving platter, serve, and enjoy!

*Note: The types of bbq sauce I have used for this recipe... Sweet Baby Ray's, Hunt's, Kraft's, and KC Masterpiece. All are thick in consistency, and makes the chicken taste great!

WOW! This sounds just like the recipe that I kind of followed from Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Women. Oven baked chicken thighs, skin on-bone in, homemade BBQ sauce.
baked bbq chicken.JPG

dinner.JPG
[our Independence Day Supper]

I also agree with others, store-bought-jarred-BBQ-sauce is way too sweet and kind of flat tasting, to me anyways, not to mention I'd rather KNOW what I'm eating, no funny stuff; I'd much rather make my own sauce... and I do prefer skin-on bone-in thighs, much more juicy and flavorful, IMHO, and my homemade sauce sticks to my thighs just fine with every bite.
The sauce that I made was uber-easy and THICK! Not hard to do, it was even a on-cook sauce!

Cindi, as a gal who never grilled in my "previous life", I felt like you then.

Nothing scares me in my new life, certainly not grilling, and I enjoy it more than I can say. I like my alone time with my book, music and glass of wine. Bliss.
You really should try it sometime. ;)
I've never found a store barbecue sauce I like, and don't care for sweet sauce, so I make my own and it's delicious to us.

Kayelle, the first time I'd tried grilling, is when he had a Webster Charcoal Grill, and I couldn't get the coals lit. I didn't want to waste the lighter fluid, so I gave up. We've now had a gas grill for years, and I'm so afraid of getting burned. Having my husband do the grilling while I get the other foods together and on the table, works out great for us. His grilling also gives me a break from cooking, and I like that.

Kayelle, would you mind sharing your barbecue sauce recipe, unless you've already posted it on this site?

What's bbq chicken without the unhealthy fatty skin? :yum:

Carlson, I guess I'll never know, as I prefer the unhealthy fatty skin on either deep fried, or already seasoned, floured coated, oven baked chicken.

But... if anyone ever offers me barbecued chicken with the skin on, I certainly won't pass it up.

We've now had a gas grill for years, and I'm so afraid of getting burned. Having my husband do the grilling while I get the other foods together and on the table, works out great for us. His grilling also gives me a break from cooking, and I like that.

Getting burned? How?
I've found that grilling outdoors is the easy part. You may want to rethink getting the meal on the table, and reversing the roles. ;)

Getting burned? How?
I've found that grilling outdoors is the easy part. You may want to rethink getting the meal on the table, and reversing the roles. ;)

Agreed K!
I LOVE cooking outdoors, it's much cooler (especially in the summer, I hate being in the kitchen, WAY too hot there), more relaxing, less fuss, muss
and not to mention clean-up :chef:
DG, you might want to take a look at You Tube for some great pointers to get you back out there. A gas grill is easy-peasy, IMHO anyways.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom