Crisp, Juicy Chicken Strips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Everyone talks about how hard it is to cook with chicken breast This recipe will show you how easy it can be. I give you:
Chief's Crispy, Juicy Chicken Strips

The issue with chicken white meat is that it is very lean, and so very easy to overcook, which dries it out, and makes it chewy. I avoid this issue by using bone in, skin on chicken breasts. It is fresher, and has more moisture than the boneless, skinless variety; plus, I use the bones, and skin to elevate the meal.
Here's how I do it.

First, set up a breading station with seasoned flour, egg wash, and panko bread crumbs.

Seasoned flour:
1 cup AP flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground pepper
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic powder
1/2 tsp. summer savory
1/2 tsp. ground rosemary
1 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)

Egg wash:
1 large egg
3 tbsp. whole milk

Panko Bread Crumbs:
You can play with this by seasoning he bread crumbs, adding shredded coconut, or minced, dried onion.

Orange Sauce
24 oz. orange soda
1 small onion, finely minced
1/2 cup chicken broth
chicken bones
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1 tbs. corn starch
2 tbs. water

Mix together the seasoned flour, egg wash, and bread crumbs, each in a separate container. I like to use foil baking pans for ease of dredging. Remove the skin from the chicken, and set aside. Remove the chicken meat from the bones.

Pour chicken broth onto a sauce pan, and bring to a simmer. Add the chicken bones, and onion. Cover, turn heat to lowest setting, and simmer for 30 minutes while you make the rest of the meal.

Slice the breast meat along the longest axis, into 1/4 inch thick slices, and dredge in seasoned flour. Shake off excess flour, and place on a cooling rack for ten minutes to let the flour glue itself to the meat. Heat 2inches igh temp., neutral flavored oil in a Dutch oven, or cast iron pan with high sides, to a temp. of 360' F. Dip chicken pieces in egg wash, taking care to completely coat he strips. Dredge in bread crumbs. Again, place onto your cooling rack, this time for 5 minutes.

Remove the lid from the pot with chicken stock and bones. Remove the bones. Add the remaining sauce ingredients, except the cornstarch and water, to the pot. Increase the heat to medium, and reduce by half.

Test the oil by dropping in the chicken skins. Fry to golden brown and crispy. Remove to paper towel lined plate, and salt. Use for crispy salad garnish.

Gently place several chicken strips into the hot oil, taking care to not over crowd the pan, turning after 2 minutes. When the breadcrumbs have reached a beautiful, light brown hue, remove to a clean cooling rack.

Mix together the cornstarch, and water into a smooth slurry. Slowly add this to the orange sauce to thicken,

Serve with steak fries, or garlic bread, and a flavorful salad, maybe with some diced, ripe pear.

Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

One of your best tips!

Slice the breast meat along the longest axis, into 1/4 inch thick slices, and dredge in seasoned flour. Shake off excess flour, and place on a cooling rack for ten minutes to let the flour glue itself to the meat. Heat 2inches igh temp., neutral flavored oil in a Dutch oven, or cast iron pan with high sides, to a temp. of 360' F. Dip chicken pieces in egg wash, taking care to completely coat he strips. Dredge in bread crumbs. Again, place onto your cooling rack, this time for 5 minutes.

Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief - I've highlighted two of the points that a lot of people just don't get/understand or even know. This technique really helps to keep the coatings on. I first started doing this with Pork Chops and Schnitzel. My mom told me this after I was crying on the phone asking why my chops never came out of the pan with their breading! LOL As long as you take the time it will work every time. Rush it and ....

Thanks for posting! and this particular recipe will be on my 'to do' list for family when back from summer travels!

That orange sauce sounds really good. Will have to make that the next time I make chicken!

Back
Top Bottom