"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2021, 06:32 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Duck breast, what would you cook it?

I have a piece of boneless, skin on duck breast. It's in my freezer. It's from a mulard duck (offspring of male muscovy, female pekin). There is only the tiniest, bit of visible fat on this piece of meat. How would you cook it?

Old 04-05-2021, 07:09 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

As a matter of fact, I cooked duck breast tonight.

I score the skin/fat and put it in a skillet over fairly low heat to render most of the fat (it's all right under the skin). When the fat is mostly rendered and the skin is golden brown I flip it over and put it into a 350F oven to finish. I like it medium rare. Let it rest for 5 minutes and enjoy.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:01 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

After you cook it using Andy's method, pour off the duck fat and use it to make fried potatoes. Make a red wine sauce with the drippings and serve it all over a wide pasta, like tagliatelle.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:50 PM   #4
Executive Chef

taxy, I think you will find that there is plenty of fat in a Moulard Duck Breast. Still if you truly think there is little fat under the skin, do as already mentioned. BUT if you notice that there is no fat rendering then don't be shy to add some. Any oil you'd like would be just fine. What you are trying for is to crisp the skin.

The scoring of the skin is to help with the rendering of the fat. Most of the cooking is done on the skin side (about 12 min?) and then flip and finish for about 7 min in the 400 oven. (or lower the heat in your pan and finish there)

It is sort of traditional to see the crispy scoring when the duck is served.

Duck is one of those meats that you can eat pink. And it is NOT raw, but a good healthy pink is wonderful.

Here I found this site for moulard duck

sounds yummy and I'd love to hear how yours turns out!
Old 04-06-2021, 12:49 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
taxy, I think you will find that there is plenty of fat in a Moulard Duck Breast. Still if you truly think there is little fat under the skin, do as already mentioned. BUT if you notice that there is no fat rendering then don't be shy to add some. Any oil you'd like would be just fine. What you are trying for is to crisp the skin.

The scoring of the skin is to help with the rendering of the fat. Most of the cooking is done on the skin side (about 12 min?) and then flip and finish for about 7 min in the 400 oven. (or lower the heat in your pan and finish there)

It is sort of traditional to see the crispy scoring when the duck is served.

Duck is one of those meats that you can eat pink. And it is NOT raw, but a good healthy pink is wonderful.

Here I found this site for moulard duck

sounds yummy and I'd love to hear how yours turns out!
Thanks for the link and the suggestions.

I figured there was fat under the skin. It's just not visible. That was why I specified "only a tiny bit of visible fat".
Old 04-06-2021, 12:20 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Fat on a duck and goose is really well incorporated into the skin. Yes there are gobs too but surprising when you actually cook the duck breast as to how much there is.

Making me hungry girl! Haven't had duck for some time now. Enjoy!
Old 04-06-2021, 12:39 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Fat on a duck and goose is really well incorporated into the skin. Yes there are gobs too but surprising when you actually cook the duck breast as to how much there is.

Making me hungry girl! Haven't had duck for some time now. Enjoy!
True. I think I got a cup and a half of fat the last time I made duck breast.

Tags
cook, duck, recipe

Duck breast, what would you cook it? I have a piece of boneless, skin on duck breast. It's in my freezer. It's from a mulard duck (offspring of male muscovy, female pekin). There is only the tiniest, bit of visible fat on this piece of meat. How would you cook it? 3 stars 1 reviews