First attempt at fried rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otuatail

Senior Cook
Hi. I thought this would be easy. I am making sweet and sour chicken with fried rice (although I wanted fried rice).

I pre cooked the rice in a rice cooker and transferred it to a casserole dish and placed in a fridge as I saw on the internet. When cool. I fried it. All I got was white dry fried rice. What I wanted is that nice brown rice you get in a takeaway.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do?

TIA

Desmond.

It seemed like it was going nowhere so I put a small amount of butter into the frying pan. Still no success.

Last edited:
What kind of fat or oil did you use to fry the rice? What kind of pan did you fry it in? Was it a nonstick pan?

It is also better to spread the cooked rice over a cookie sheet or sheet pan. This lets the rice dry out a little bit, letting it better absorb the ingredients that you fry it with.

Fried rice is an asian dish that includes significantly more than cooked rice fried in a pan/wok. There are a number of seasonings/flavorings plus vegetables, garlic and ginger, etc.

The first thing you need is a good fried rice recipe.

I've been cooking the Asian cuisine since school days.

This time of year there are many Flea Markets & Yard Sales and it isn't uncommon for these Wok sets to shop up in them. Often unused still in the original packaging. Understand, you don't have to have this equipment, but it's an interest method of cooking that is easy enough to learn.

I've tried making fried rice & stir fry in cast iron skillets or aluminum sauce pans and I just can't get the results that "I" want. See if you can at least borrow a Wok set to try. If you have a deep fryer or "Fry Daddy" you may want to make your tempura items in it. Just my suggestion.
81XJrnGHINL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Hi. I didn't use any oils or spices. I just cooked in a very hot copper stone pan. I have seen recipes on the internet that tell you just to put rice in fridge and fry in a hot pan which is what I did.

I made 2 portions of the sweet & Sour (cheating using a jar of S&S) so I could make a better rice tonight! Hopefully.
Maybe a splash of dark soy sauce. Can't find hoisin sauce sauce here in York supermarkets.

Last edited:
Hi. I didn't use any oils or spices. I just cooked in a very hot copper stone pan. I have seen recipes on the internet that tell you just to put rice in fridge and fry in a hot pan which is what I did.

I made 2 portions of the sweet & Sour (cheating using a jar of S&S) so I could make a better rice tonight! Hopefully.
Maybe a splash of dark soy sauce. Can't find hoisin sauce sauce here in York supermarkets.
If you can find oyster sauce, it's similar to hoisin.

I save left over rice or cook white rice and refrigerate over night.
I use onion, red or green bell pepper, green peas, carrot, ginger and garlic. Whatever I have on hand. Really you can use anything you like. But to me the ginger and garlic are a must.
I also fry a whipped up egg or two and cut into strips.
I add soy sauce, fish sauce and just a few drops of good toasted sesame oil at the very end.
The addition of a protein like little pieces of pork or chicken or beef or seafood really kick it up!!!!
My fried rice can be served as an entrée.

First thing, I would not use rice cooker to make rice. Second, I would under-cook rice slightly. Third, I would rinse rice with cold water. Fourth, leave in the fridge overnight.
Then, when fry, preheat the pan at the highest setting you have on your stove, put maybe a table of oil in the pan and preheat, add rice and soy sauce and stir really, really fast. Done.

Add other ingredients, as mentioned in above posts. It's really your personal taste tghat matters the most.
I like, bean sprouts, shredded carrots, mushrooms, egg, green onions.

Back
Top Bottom