Flamin' Hot BBQ Wings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cowboy Cooker

Assistant Cook
Howdy Ya'll,
I've been wanting to make some killer BBQ wings for a while now.
Well here's the plan. I'll be taking some Hunt's BBQ Sauce Original (my favorite), add some Dr. Pepper to it (got the idea from another forum), let it simmer and then sit over night with a WHOLE Habanero in it! then I guess it should go something like this - spread the wings on my flat pan, slather my Flamin' Hot Dr. Pepper sauce, cook it for 2 hours at 250 degrees and then eat!

What say you? :chef:

I think personally I would turn up the heat and cook for a shorter time. Otherwise it sounds fine to me.

I agree, you need more heat. 250f will be like braising the wings in liquid. You'll get a softer, mushy skin.

My favorite way to do wings is first trim all excess fat with a poultry shears. You'll be surprised at how you can cut 20% of the fat from wings with some scissors. Wash and thoroughly dry the wings.

Then, preheat your oven to 500f, with a sheet pan inside. When blazing hot, put the dry wings on the sheet pan. They'll sear and brown very quickly.

Cook the wings on the top shelf of the oven to take advantage of the convective heat bouncing off the top of the oven. Turn and toss them frequently to brown on all sides. When they are crispy like potato chips, remove, drain excess fat, then toss with your favorite sauce.

This method gives a crunchy, crispy texture like being deep-fried without all the fat. And, if you trim most of the skin off, you're making a much healthier wing that tastes more like chicken than the fat that will coat your mouth.

High heat to caramelize sugars is my goal when oven-frying wings.

Back
Top Bottom